sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2023 8:22 am  #1

A Sad Sign Of The Times For CFRB

We all know the last ratings book for CFRB wasn't exactly stellar - somewhere in the 1.5 range for adults 12+. But on Friday morning came an example of just how low they can go. John Moore was discussing the renaming of Yonge-Dundas Square to "Sankofa Square" and asked for phone calls on what Toronto residents think of the new moniker. 

No one called. 

To not get one air-able phone call on such a potentially controversial topic was stunning. Moore complained several minutes later how "disappointed" he was that it didn't seem people were interested in commenting on the hurried decision and that no one called. That did prompt one listener to dial the digits and make a remark. But that was the only one. 

I admit to not knowing how many people who weren't articulate enough to be put on air participated, but to have only one on a weekday morning show on a topic like that speaks volumes about how few ears there may have been to call in. I'm aware most people don't participate, even if they listen. But this is talk show gold and to have such a tepid response hints to me about the size of the audience. 

And that's a pretty sad statement. 

By the way, the one caller actually had a great suggestion - he thought it should have been named after the late David Onley, not only a broadcaster but the former Lt. Governor of Ontario, a passionate advocate for the disabled and one of the nicest men I've ever met. Wished they'd considered that one! Moore agreed it was a good idea and echoed similar sentiments about Onley's character. He was a truly wonderful person.

December 15, 2023 8:35 am  #2

Re: A Sad Sign Of The Times For CFRB

I listen to Moore in the Morning and just caught this. Although Moore rarely takes phone calls, I thought this topic would get reactions but nada, crickets. The one caller’s suggestion of naming it after David Onley works for me having worked with him during my Citytv days. Still, I too was surprised that there were no calls this morning.

December 15, 2023 9:19 am  #3

Since COVID and hybrid work-from-home, Fridays have become the hardest days to get good calls….across the board.

December 15, 2023 9:33 am  #4

Is it talk radio that is dead in this town; or CFRB on its own.

December 15, 2023 10:18 am  #5

Update, Moore re-opened the phone lines just after 9am and got a few decent calls, phew!

December 15, 2023 10:34 am  #6

Pardon my ignorance, but I have no idea who Sankofa is/was and why that name is appropriate for a major public square.  I read the Toronto Star Article today and am no further ahead.  Did Moore explain why that name was chosen?  What has always puzzled me in this 1-way debate about Dundas St., is no one at city hall ever tallied up the costs to businesses to change letterhead, invoices, billing systems, HST registrations, CRA registrations, from Dundas to some other name.  And the electronic media seems always to be asleep at the switch on that story.  

December 15, 2023 10:39 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

We all know the last ratings book for CFRB wasn't exactly stellar - somewhere in the 1.5 range for adults 12+. But on Friday morning came an example of just how low they can go. John Moore was discussing the renaming of Yonge-Dundas Square to "Sankofa Square" and asked for phone calls on what Toronto residents think of the new moniker. 

No one called. 

To not get one air-able phone call on such a potentially controversial topic was stunning. Moore complained several minutes later how "disappointed" he was that it didn't seem people were interested in commenting on the hurried decision and that no one called. That did prompt one listener to dial the digits and make a remark. But that was the only one. 

I admit to not knowing how many people who weren't articulate enough to be put on air participated, but to have only one on a weekday morning show on a topic like that speaks volumes about how few ears there may have been to call in. I'm aware most people don't participate, even if they listen. But this is talk show gold and to have such a tepid response hints to me about the size of the audience. 

And that's a pretty sad statement. 

By the way, the one caller actually had a great suggestion - he thought it should have been named after the late David Onley, not only a broadcaster but the former Lt. Governor of Ontario, a passionate advocate for the disabled and one of the nicest men I've ever met. Wished they'd considered that one! Moore agreed it was a good idea and echoed similar sentiments about Onley's character. He was a truly wonderful person.

David Onley wasn't black. Immediately disqualified.

December 15, 2023 10:43 am  #8

tvguy wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but I have no idea who Sankofa is/was and why that name is appropriate for a major public square.  I read the Toronto Star Article today and am no further ahead.  Did Moore explain why that name was chosen?  What has always puzzled me in this 1-way debate about Dundas St., is no one at city hall ever tallied up the costs to businesses to change letterhead, invoices, billing systems, HST registrations, CRA registrations, from Dundas to some other name.  And the electronic media seems always to be asleep at the switch on that story.  

Sankofa wasn't a person, it's a Ghanan bird and part of African lore so I think it's meant as a corrective to Dundas role in supporting slavery (though Dundas's supporters claim he was an abolitionist)

December 15, 2023 10:57 am  #9

Love the idea of honouring David Onley.

Why don't they ask the public to make suggestions, narrow down the options, vote etc. It'd provide content for radio and television broadcasters and something for everyone to do during the winter months and then have an official naming ceremony in the square in early spring 2024.

December 15, 2023 11:22 am  #10

If John normally doesn't take calls from listeners then it isn't too surprising that the calls were slow coming in.  The days of announcers suddenly opening the phone lines looking for a comment on something, and the listener dropping everything to rush and make a call don't happen anymore. 

Sounds like Sankofa has nothing to do with Toronto or the population, so why is this name even considered? It means nothing to people.  And if there is a dispute or confusion if Dundas was for or against slavery, then they should keep the name until they absolutely find out. If this can't happen, keep it as Dundas Square.  

Why not call it City Square, or City Mall?  Let Rogers pay for the name change!  

December 15, 2023 11:26 am  #11

betaylored wrote:

Why don't they ask the public to make suggestions

No, thank you. No need for another Boaty McBoatface scenario.

Maybe, just maybe, we should stop naming things after people.

The Onley idea is a good one but see my comment above.

December 15, 2023 11:27 am  #12

Once the name is unnecessarily changed, ten years from now, Torontonians will still be referring to Sankofa Square as Dundas Square.  Most people still call where the Jays play 'Skydome'.

December 15, 2023 12:46 pm  #13

Sankofa is a word from Ghana Africa meaning the act of looking at the past and using lessons learned to move forward with life.
As far as I know there is no significant connection between Ghana and Toronto.
There's also no explanation about who at city hall put this word forward.
Surely if they wanted to have a Toronto tribute to African Canadians they could have picked someone like Lincoln Alexander, the first black lieutenant governor.
In Vancouver where I grew up years ago city officials named several things including a fountain sculpture to a black man named Joe Fortes who became the unofficial life guard of English Bay .Everybody knew who Joe Fortes was so it made sense.
But anyway, with all the Indigenous reconciliation efforts going on why not call Dundas Square something like First Nations Square or maybe a first nations name like Nishnawbi.
I figure practically nobody will use the word Sankofa, just like many Torontonians still call the Rogers Centre, Skydome or just The Dome.

December 15, 2023 1:06 pm  #14

Thanks for the clarification.  Looks like another attempt by the Politically Correct Police to address a "wrong" and make a bigger mess in doing so. Just sayin.   This may be a good table discussion over the holidays, 

December 15, 2023 1:54 pm  #15

CFRB doesn't have a text line that they can go to for listener messages?

December 15, 2023 2:26 pm  #16

Walter wrote:

David Onley wasn't black. Immediately disqualified.

Or aboriginal.

December 15, 2023 6:07 pm  #17

Binson Echorec wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Why don't they ask the public to make suggestions

No, thank you. No need for another Boaty McBoatface scenario.

Maybe, just maybe, we should stop naming things after people.

The Onley idea is a good one but see my comment above.

totally forgot about the Boaty McBoatface hiccup, you make a good point. 😏🛳️

December 16, 2023 8:24 am  #18

I admired David Onley!  Such a nice person.  I think Yonge/Dundas square, if the name needs to be changed at all, should be called 'The Square'.  Short and simple.  I think council is spending too much time over this issue when there is so much more important issues that should be discussed and dealt with!

December 28, 2023 10:03 pm  #19

It does not need to be changed...

"the city says the term “Sankofa” originates in Ghana and refers to the act of reflecting on and reclaiming teachings from the past, which enables people to move forward together."

- there's the rub

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane