sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 11, 2023 6:58 pm  #1

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown

On Thursday December 9, 1965 at 7:30pm, sponsored by Coca-Cola CBS telecast A Charlie Brown Christmas. Watched by roughly 45% of the viewing audience that night, it reached an estimated 15.490M homes. The animated special finished as the second most watched show that week, behind only Bonanza. 

December 11, 2023 7:38 pm  #2

Re: Merry Christmas Charlie Brown

And it still stands the test of time.  One of my Xmas favourites. 

December 11, 2023 8:58 pm  #3

Two things about this old special. 

1) CBS execs. absolutely hated it when they first saw it and didn't even want to air it. They hated the pacing, the music and the animation and thought it was too slow and too religious. But because they had a sponsor (The Coca-Cola Company) it got on air anyway. The ratings for that first showing proved how wrong they'd been but if they had their way, it never would have seen the light of day. 

2) There were a lot of people very upset when it was announced a few years ago that AppleTV+ had acquired the rights to this Xmas classic, and that the only way to see it was subscribe to the streaming service. It created quite a backlash against Apple, but it remains in their possession for the foreseeable future. 

If you are a huge fan of this thing and feel it's just not Christmas without seeing it, you're not out of luck. I guess the wave of anger reached someone at Apple which has announced that it will be showing "Charlie Brown" free - without a subscription - on Dec. 16th and 17th (next Saturday and Sunday.) That 48 hour window is the only time it will be shown gratis. 

And for those upset about this classic being behind a paywall, perhaps perennially, I can only say get used to it. I suspect you're seeing  - or not seeing, if you're not a subscriber - the future of TV. And it will inevitably cost you. 

December 11, 2023 9:08 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

CBS execs absolutely hated it when they first saw it and didn't even want to air it. They hated the pacing, the music and the animation and thought it was too slow and too religious. But because they had a sponsor (The Coca-Cola Company) it got on air anyway. The ratings for that first showing proved how wrong they'd been but if they had their way, it never would have seen the light of day. 

An interesting article here about that and some of the other doubts that loomed over the project:

How a Charlie Brown Christmas almost wasn’t

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

December 11, 2023 9:59 pm  #5

The soundtrack, by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, is a masterpiece and probably my favourite Christmas album.

December 11, 2023 10:04 pm  #6

Also, if you want to learn how to bust a move on the dance floor like the Peanuts kids, check this out... 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

December 12, 2023 1:04 am  #7

In two year's time, celebrating 60 years? WOW! Where did the time go??

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 12, 2023 11:32 am  #8

Forward Power wrote:

The soundtrack, by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, is a masterpiece and probably my favourite Christmas album.

I listen to it every Christmas Eve. December 24th and 25th are the only two days I will listen to Christmas music. Originals only. No remakes.