sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2023 8:12 pm  #2

Re: Shohei Ohtani to Sign with Toronto Blue Jays?

Granted that Sportsnet is owned by Rogers and Rogers owns the Jays,
the best place to glue the eyes is here:  (for the best most accurate, updated info)  https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/shohei-ohtani-has-not-yet-made-decision-no-timeline/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 8, 2023 8:33 pm  #3

If it really happens and Rogers is william to pay him $500 million, maybe in addition to hitting and pitching (in 2025) he will also be able to read an occasional Japanese news segment on CFTR or maybe Omni-TV will initiate a Japanese program?

December 8, 2023 9:01 pm  #4

If Shohei Ohtani does strike a deal with the Jays, it could be monumental for Rogers. 
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/armstrong-shohei-ohtani-baseball-blue-jays-1.7052383#:~:text=They%20want%20Ohtani%20to%20come,describe%20Ohtani's%20level%20of%20fame.

December 8, 2023 9:14 pm  #5

There was a rumour Ohtani was on a flight from Anaheim to Toronto earlier today.

When the plane landed, who emerged? Not Ohtani, but Robert Herjavic from Dragon’s Den and Shark Tank.

I have no idea what Herjavic’s baseball stats are.

December 8, 2023 10:25 pm  #6

TSN's Overdrive had great coverage/speculation on the possibility of Shohei Ohtani flying in this afternoon from California.  They even had a video tracker of the plane as it made it's way over Michigan and Southern Ontario.

It was pretty entertaining television but host Bryan Hayes stressed that the plane may not be connected to Ohtani.  Hayes, Noodles and O-Dog had fun with the whole thing and mostly kept everything clear sighted reminding everyone that nothing had happened yet.    

Sports Illustrated jumped the gun this afternoon saying on line that Ohtani was going to sign with Toronto and he was flying in for the official announcement and signing.  

December 8, 2023 10:34 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

TSN's Overdrive had great coverage/speculation on the possibility of Shohei Ohtani flying in this afternoon from California.  They even had a video tracker of the plane as it made it's way over Michigan and Southern Ontario.

It was pretty entertaining television but host Bryan Hayes stressed that the plane may not be connected to Ohtani.  Hayes, Noodles and O-Dog had fun with the whole thing and mostly kept everything clear sighted reminding everyone that nothing had happened yet.    

Sports Illustrated jumped the gun this afternoon saying on line that Ohtani was going to sign with Toronto and he was flying in for the official announcement and signing.  

I didn't see the visuals as I listened to Overdrive on 1050, but yeah, their coverage was great. Going to be interesting to see the sports stations' daily numbers for today when they come out on Monday.

December 9, 2023 12:50 am  #8

If they spend $500 million on this guy, I say that's the end of the NHL TV deal. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/12/08/rogers-toronto-blue-jays-ohtani-nhl-rights.aspx

Last edited by cash (December 9, 2023 1:09 am)

December 9, 2023 8:23 am  #9

cash wrote:

If they spend $500 million on this guy, I say that's the end of the NHL TV deal. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/12/08/rogers-toronto-blue-jays-ohtani-nhl-rights.aspx

I think Rogers regrets ever signing the NHL TV deal, $5.2 Billion for 12 years at a time when ratings have dropped significantly. I remember Rogers did a cross country survey trip and announced that NHL viewership was going to increase by 20% at the time. Seriously. Deep pockets and big egos make questionable decisions.

December 9, 2023 10:28 am  #10

The broadcast rights for the NHL next round will be fascinating.  Many believe the streamers will be a significant part of the deal.  

At the time of Roger's mega contract with the NHL, seemed like the best way for Sportsnet to surpass TSN in ratings and influence.  TSN had always been the dominate sports channel in Canada.  Many will say it still is.   Apparently Roger's yearly fee increases to over $500 million per year for the last three years of the NHL deal.  The contract finishes the end of the hockey season in 2026. 

If Shohei decides to play in Toronto, the Blue Jays international profile is going to go way up.  NHK, Japan's public broadcaster will broadcast every Jays game if the super star comes to Canada.

December 9, 2023 4:30 pm  #11

December 9, 2023 4:39 pm  #12

US$700M over 10 years = CDN$952M
Jays would have had to offer CDN$1B to get him
At 29 for a guy with a wonky pitching arm, that's too big a risk.
Were the Jays just used to bid up the price?

December 9, 2023 5:25 pm  #13

AP confirms the Ohtani signing with the Dodgers.  Nice try Jays.  But I have trouble trying to figure out why Rogers was too cheap to send the radio crew on the road, yet willing to shell out millions to try and land Ohtani.

December 9, 2023 6:51 pm  #14

I was really disappointed with the radio coverage here once the news broke. At least at first. 

The Fan was interviewing some old Raptor player, whose name I didn't catch, when the signing became known. They didn't cut the segment short but kept going, which was surprising. At least they did go to local coverage in the next hour, which leads me to believe they were getting the regulars in place. 

TSN 1050, on the other hand, was inexcusable. Yes, they had the news in the top of the hour sports headlines, coming from ESPN in the U.S. They then stayed with the ESPN feed and quickly moved on to talk NFL. I know, it's syndicated and the station likely doesn't make enough to bring in talent on the weekend. But this was surely one of the biggest stories in Toronto sports history and to stay with ESPN was simply shameful. They knew this was coming on the weekend and did absolutely nothing to prepare for it. No wonder their ratings are where they are. 

Even AM640 had better coverage. Arlene Bynon was in for Roy Green on Saturday and devoted nearly a full hour to the story, taking phone calls from fans and talking to a few sports columnists. And they're not even a sports station. (Oddly, she was told the news by one of her guests, Prof. Michael Geist discussing the implications of Bill C-11, because he'd just seen it on Twitter/X!)

December 9, 2023 7:02 pm  #15

Speaking of an epic fail, why did CTV Toronto news at 6 not lead with the signing? Instead, their lede was a group of local citizens touring the Ontario Science Centre to try and stay at the location. 

Are you kidding me? How is that the top story?

At least Global got this one right - they led with the signing. 

December 9, 2023 8:25 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

Speaking of an epic fail, why did CTV Toronto news at 6 not lead with the signing? Instead, their lede was a group of local citizens touring the Ontario Science Centre to try and stay at the location. 

Are you kidding me? How is that the top story?

At least Global got this one right - they led with the signing. 

I’m guessing that it was due to the fact that this was a Rogers related news story & CTV didn’t want to give their competition any publicity, which is lame considering this was the talk of Toronto/Canada for the past couple of days. Good on Global for being the adults!

December 9, 2023 9:09 pm  #17

It was interesting yesterday TSN blew Sportsnet out of the water with their TV coverage.  Overdrive was all over the story with the speculation and the "private plane" flying from Anaheim to Toronto and Sportsnet had Poker WPT (Winter Poker) coverage. 

If the Jays were the other main contender like everyone says, they certainly helped to drive up the price for Shohei.  Nobody was talking $700 million bantered around yesterday.  Congratulations to the Dodger owners for opening up the wallet.

December 10, 2023 12:10 am  #18

Local sports news media would soil the sheets less if they devoted more time to wiping their butts and less to lustily chasing PR efforts.

December 10, 2023 2:50 am  #19

The Toronto sports media are nothing more than cheerleaders for the teams they’re corporate siblings with.
Toronto teams are never truly in the running for big free agents for about a dozen reasons. Taxes, inability to land endorsement deals, and no ESPN in this country to name just a few, but the sports media in this city are always asking, “Why wouldn’t he want to play here?”  The sports media does a big disservice its audience.

December 10, 2023 8:04 am  #20

What a great article from USA Today and the reasons why you shouldn't believe anything you hear about MLB trade rumours from now on. 

"A photographer from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is hurriedly dispatched to the tarmac, ready to shoot historic pictures of Ohtani’s steps off the plane, which would have been a giant leap for all of Canadian baseball-kind. 

Only to watch Canadian entrepreneur Robert Herjavec, a Shark Tank judge, stepping off the plane. Ohtani never left his house in Southern California. 

The night ended and no decision was made. 

The only thing that happened during the day was us embarrassing ourselves and infuriating baseball fans even further. 

What in the world are we doing?"

Shohei Ohtani free agency hysteria brought out the worst in MLB media. We can do better.

December 10, 2023 2:57 pm  #21

As big and lucrative as the Ohtani contract is, it still pales to soccer.   Super star Cristiano Rinaldo who is 38 makes $200 million per year.  Now, his contract with Saudi Pro League is only for two and a half years, likely because of his age, and worth $500 million.  Last year his total income was $260 million when any bonuses and endorsements are added in. 

Sports is really no different in the reporting than news.  Except sports is much more fun, a lot less pain and suffering and generally positive.  Breaking News stories are often very wrong with first reports.  Don't see where this was any different.  Social media has made unreliable and incorrect reporting even worse. 

Naturally it would have been nice if Shohei had landed with the Jays.  But on the other side, can you imagine all of the screaming, whining, even protests in the street if Rogers had paid him $750 or even $800 million or well over $1 billion Canadian?

Let's be honest, here on SOWNY we have a few constant complainers of Bell and Rogers and how evil and dreadful they are.  This would have given them 10 more years of great material to rant on about..