sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2023 11:25 am  #1

Where is the signal aimed?

As a teenager, I remember CKLW pausing for a “pattern change.” My understanding eventually progressed to the point that I understood WJR had an omnidirectional pattern while Detroit’s 1500 (now WLQV) operated with  a multiple array. At the same time, I’ve never really grasped how a directional antenna system works.
Can someone explain, or refer me to an article, that sets it out in layman's terms?
And remember, math was my worst subject in school so a straightforward explanation, please, with many thanks!

December 7, 2023 12:09 pm  #2

Re: Where is the signal aimed?

I'll try...

Directional AM (medium wave) antenna arrays came about to increase the number of available frequencies to a allow more stations on the air. Two stations can use the same frequency as long as they direct the signal away from each other. A directional array can be as simple as two towers (I will now refer to towers as elements) or as complex as 12 or 13. Each of these elements has a role in creating the directional pattern. The height and the space between each element is carefully calculated to cause the elements to interact with some/ all / none of the other elements. The second pic shows a five element array.

Phasing. Depending on the number of elements and the desired patters a phasor is installed usually in the transmitter building. It is a box with adjustable coils capacitors as well as other stuff with adjustments that allow signal generated from the transmitter to be split and sent separately to each element. By varying the amount of power as well as its timing (phase) the signal may arrive at the element slightly delayed or in a different phase. This will interact with the signal being sent to the other elements at the same time and induce a pattern. Adjusting one element willl usually effect the behaviour of the others. It is a balancing act. There are measurements taken around the transmitter site to sense the direction and the signal. Also the elements usually have a sampling loop (pic 1) that sends information by wire back to the transmitter shack to measure the radiation of the element. Usually this is a one time set up, once set it is not adjusted again unless a change in the array is needed.

Depending the pattern desired these elements can be switched in or out changing the direction of the signal. Not all elements may be phased, they may simply work as a reflector; kind of like having a mirror behind a light bulb.

This is a very simplistic explanation. There is lots of information much more through than this. I hope this helps a little.

In my opinion a well engineered, constructed and maintained directional array is a work of art! You need to know what you are doing!

Last edited by darcyh (December 7, 2023 12:18 pm)

December 7, 2023 5:38 pm  #3

Much appreciated, darcyh. 
Your explanation is  comprehensible in explaining the various features and how they interact.
The task is indeed a work of art as well as an engineering challenge. It also explains why so many AM sites are no longer up to snuff due to  shortchanging maintenance and upgrades due to  cost. 
So theoretically, a 10,000 watt station could split the power of 2,500 watts each to 2 towers and 5,000 to another via the phasor if that would achieve the directional properties sought?

December 7, 2023 6:15 pm  #4

WindsorWatcher wrote:

Much appreciated, darcyh. 
Your explanation is  comprehensible in explaining the various features and how they interact.
The task is indeed a work of art as well as an engineering challenge. It also explains why so many AM sites are no longer up to snuff due to  shortchanging maintenance and upgrades due to  cost. 
So theoretically, a 10,000 watt station could split the power of 2,500 watts each to 2 towers and 5,000 to another via the phasor if that would achieve the directional properties sought?

Yes. Kind of. It depends. Don't you love these answers . There is no requirement for the split to be balance or  linear.

So, theoretically to establish a day pattern and assume 4 towers: you may apply power /  phasing as 80 % tower one, 5 % tower two, 11 % to tower three and 4 % to tower four. At sundown this equation could change to any other combination. The pattern can be calculated by computer to some extent. Back in the old days not so. Even today I find the models off sometimes, but they are accepted by the FCC and Industry Canada.

December 7, 2023 6:48 pm  #5

Thanks darcyh.  
One  negative example of directionality for me is  how Detroit’s WXYT (1270) is clear as a bell here in Windsor in the daytime but  then sounds like a tangled ball of string in my Forest Glade neighbourhood when it switches to the nighttime pattern, both with 50,000 watts. 

December 7, 2023 7:06 pm  #6

Perhaps a simpler answer would be WJR operates on clear channel 760 with a non directional pattern. I can pick them up in my car during the day with a listenable [to a dxer] signal. CKLW on the other hand has a null to the east to protect CJBQ Belleville. I rarely hear CKLW during the day in Toronto.

December 7, 2023 9:49 pm  #7

That 800 khz AM signal never fails to amaze me when you consider how relatively close the various Canadian stations that are using it are.

CJAD Montreal is 50K daytime, CJBQ Belleville is also 50K day and the mighty CKLW signal is the third one at the top of that pyramid. They are all very strong, all on the same frequency and in the grand scheme of DXing things, not really all that far apart in distance. 

It's incredible they don't interfere with each other more. And sadly, none of them really comes in to Toronto that well. I used to get CJBQ on a regular basis, but both CJAD and CKLW are very rare gets for me. I can't think of another instance when so many stations are using the same clear channel frequency in the relatively same vicinity. Somehow they made it work.

December 8, 2023 1:01 am  #8

I believe CJBQ Belleville is 10 kilowatts. From radio locator although they have been known to be wrong.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?call=CJBQ&x=8&y=4&sr=Y&s=C

Last edited by darcyh (December 8, 2023 1:02 am)

December 8, 2023 1:08 am  #9

I always thought they were 50K day, 10K at night. But this list seems to agree with you. 

December 8, 2023 1:23 am  #10

CKLW Windsor is 50 KW, DA-2
CJBQ Belleville is 10 KW, DA-2
CJAD Montreal is 50 KW days / 10 KW nights, also DA-2

One night I stayed in Ingersoll (between London and Woodstock) and all I heard on AM 800 was something in Spanish which was likely coming from Mexico. In Northern Ontario I could hear all three of those Canadian stations trying to come in over top of each other. 

December 8, 2023 8:30 am  #11

The Spanish would be religious station Trans World Radio which has a monster signal from Bonaire, a Dutch island off the coast of Venezuela. 

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/twrs-bonaire-facility-gets-440000-watt-makeover

December 8, 2023 8:39 am  #12

I believe its call letters are PJB.

December 8, 2023 12:03 pm  #13

WindsorWatcher wrote:

The Spanish would be religious station Trans World Radio which has a monster signal from Bonaire, a Dutch island off the coast of Venezuela. 

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/twrs-bonaire-facility-gets-440000-watt-makeover

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing

I wasn't sure whether TWR was still operating at 800 khz. Obviously they are and unlike some Canadian broadcasters they see value in a medium wave signal.

Even with a highly efficient transmitter I sure would not want the electricity bill.

December 8, 2023 1:46 pm  #14

Here is another story about behemoth AM stations. Cincinnati's WLW was on the air with 500,000 watts in the 1930s. 

https://mwcircle.org/most-powerful-mw-am-stations/