sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2023 8:59 am  #1

Whoops...

BBC newsreader's private joke with her crew goes viral as she gets caught live on air...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kN1acUapMo

December 7, 2023 11:32 am  #2

Re: Whoops...

One of the oldest rules in broadcasting is that you never say or do anything near a mic or camera, no matter how safe you think it is, because you just never know if it's live. And this was another example of why that's etched in stone! Yet on-air types constantly forget the lesson and then learn it the hard way. 

I remember a story I heard about Jim McKenny at City TV. They were running a story about the Leafs, with a clip from some shirtless hunky player sitting in the clubhouse talking about his performance on the ice. While this was running, the floor director was talking to McKenny about something, at which point, the famed player-turned-broadcaster jokingly said "Yeah, I've got a chub on!"

Unfortunately, the audio person raised his mic up a bit too early and yep, you guessed it - there was the half naked guy talking and the audience heard McKenny say "Yeah, I've got a chub on." 

There was an awkward moment when everyone realized that comment went out on air, and then, trooper that he was, McKenny just went on to the next item. But a lot of people noticed it, if the reaction on the phones in those pre-Internet days was any indication! 

The lesson - if you don't want it on the air, don't say it near a mic. (And yes, though I never got caught, I admit I'm as guilty as anyone else on this kind of thing!)

In the case of the BBC anchor, she's since apologized profusely for her faux pas, and many viewers in the U.K. seem willing to forgive her.

BBC News presenter Maryam Moshiri apologises after making rude gesture live on air

December 7, 2023 11:40 am  #3

As great an operation that BBC is, they do seem to have their share of technical glitches for news on air.  You Tube has hours of BBC bloopers.  Sometimes the technology gets in the way..https://www.google.com/search?q=BBC+camera+bloopers&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&oq=BBC+camera+bloopers&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigAdIBCDYxNjFqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b0cec3fe,vid:AcKdgg-3QVM,st:0

December 7, 2023 1:00 pm  #4

I watch the BBC News Channel almost daily...I'm sorry I missed this live...though it happened so quick I'd have not believed what I had seen!

December 7, 2023 6:55 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

As great an operation that BBC is, they do seem to have their share of technical glitches for news on air.  You Tube has hours of BBC bloopers.  Sometimes the technology gets in the way..https://www.google.com/search?q=BBC+camera+bloopers&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&oq=BBC+camera+bloopers&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigAdIBCDYxNjFqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b0cec3fe,vid:AcKdgg-3QVM,st:0

Those BBC cameras do have a mind of their own.