sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2023 10:27 pm  #1

Where do you get your traffic reports from?

So in London we only have 2 talk radio since 1290 CJBK shut down in June of this year. We got CBC Radio 1 93.5 FM London and 980 CFPL. CBC London has 2 shows. One locally in the morning for London and a regional show for Southwestern Ontario like Windsor, Sarnia, London etc. On the other hand 980 CFPL AM used to have a non stop all news show where it would report traffic and weather during the non stop news. But they instead air shows like The Morning show with Devon Peacock and London Live with Mike Stubbs who used to be on 1290 before he moved to 980 sometime in 2016 or 2017. Don't get me wrong Devon Peacock and Mike Stubbs are very good show hosts. I think when the pandemic hit back in 2020 and many people were working from home. There were less people on the roads in London and not much to report on unless there was a car accident on Wonderland Road or Oxford Street. So that's why I guess they had to cut the non stop news show on AM 980 CFPL.

So the question is where do you get your traffic reports from? For me I would listen to CBC London's Morning show for Traffic.

November 30, 2023 10:30 pm  #2

Re: Where do you get your traffic reports from?

Waze

November 30, 2023 11:04 pm  #3

680 News is my go-to station for traffic and weather.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 30, 2023 11:23 pm  #4

I'm with Dale.  680 news before and during, driving downtown into construction city.

December 1, 2023 2:11 am  #5

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

So in London we only have 2 talk radio since 1290 CJBK shut down in June of this year. We got CBC Radio 1 93.5 FM London and 980 CFPL. CBC London has 2 shows. One locally in the morning for London and a regional show for Southwestern Ontario like Windsor, Sarnia, London etc. On the other hand 980 CFPL AM used to have a non stop all news show where it would report traffic and weather during the non stop news. But they instead air shows like The Morning show with Devon Peacock and London Live with Mike Stubbs who used to be on 1290 before he moved to 980 sometime in 2016 or 2017. Don't get me wrong Devon Peacock and Mike Stubbs are very good show hosts. I think when the pandemic hit back in 2020 and many people were working from home. There were less people on the roads in London and not much to report on unless there was a car accident on Wonderland Road or Oxford Street. So that's why I guess they had to cut the non stop news show on AM 980 CFPL.

So the question is where do you get your traffic reports from? For me I would listen to CBC London's Morning show for Traffic.

In London, there's never anything to report. London doesn't have a rush hour because no one is ever in a hurry.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 1, 2023 2:25 am  #6

I find London drivers to be more aggressive than GTA drivers.

December 1, 2023 8:40 am  #7

John D wrote:

I'm with Dale.  680 news before and during, driving downtown into construction city.

Yes, 680 in Toronto is the BEST!! I don't drive, but if I DID I would want a RADIO station to inform me of the traffic info, and 680 does that the best.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 1, 2023 10:33 am  #8

When I occasionally have to travel to Oakville, 680 is always my go to station for traffic. After getting my snow tires installed on Monday, I noticed the eastbound 401 at 427 was jammed solid at 1:30pm. No accidents or stalled vehicles. Just volume of traffic.

December 1, 2023 10:35 am  #9

Possible new format for CKOC or CHAM: all traffic? It's been done in Vancouver. Could it work here?

December 1, 2023 10:38 am  #10

Waze, real time up to date for my route.  I have no interest in any other road other than the ones I require. 

never worked ever, in radio

December 1, 2023 10:57 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Possible new format for CKOC or CHAM: all traffic? It's been done in Vancouver. Could it work here?

Does Hamilton have Vancouver traffic similarities? 
The idea might actually draw more attention than Funny 820 or all business radio, but how much does it cost to run?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 1, 2023 11:09 am  #12

RadioActive wrote:

It could, but not on CKOC or CHAM.

It works in Vancouver because it's run really cheap as an extension to CKNW - and also conveniently serves as a flanker against News1130.

1050 would be the prime candidate here.

December 1, 2023 12:34 pm  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Does Hamilton have Vancouver traffic similarities? 

No, but clearly, they would have to include Toronto traffic on its airwaves, along with Hamilton and environs. If it could work (and I've never been convinced it was a viable format) that's the only way they could do it. Plus, as RadioAaron points out, the other station would have to go all talk to allow for the rerolls to fill time on the station overnights and on weekend down times.

To me, All Traffic is about the craziest idea for a radio format I can think of. The fact that it appears to at least partially work in Vancouver continually astounds me - especially on a 50K blowtorch. What a waste of a great clear channel frequency (730 AM.)

December 1, 2023 12:39 pm  #14

The Vancouver traffic station has a higher overall CUME than News1130, CKNW, and Sportsnet 650

December 1, 2023 12:44 pm  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

The Vancouver traffic station has a higher overall CUME than News1130, CKNW, and Sportsnet 650

And I cannot figure out why. There might be an audience for an all-traffic format, but it has to be a tune-in and tune-out station, and it's unfathomable to me that it could be big enough to sustain a business model. Obviously, someone in B.C. is listening but the reasons are beyond me. I can't think of a more boring format than "All Traffic."

December 1, 2023 12:45 pm  #16

It is very short listens, but CORUS would rather CKNW listeners get them there rather than on Rogers' News1130

December 1, 2023 1:04 pm  #17

I put on Google Maps and do whatever the voice says. If not that, 680 News.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 1, 2023 2:36 pm  #18

AM730 in Vancouver does have some sports programming which might help them as well. They’ve been airing BC Lions and Vancouver Whitecaps games ever since the demise of TSN 1040.

Some factors in the Vancouver market that might help with an all-traffic format:

- Vancouver has two ports for BC Ferries for connections to Vancouver Island, and they routinely have delays and information about sailing waits and times that won’t show up on Google Maps

- Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley has five border crossings with the US, and two of them are among the busiest in Canada outside of Ontario. Google Maps is notoriously unreliable for border wait times, from my experience. Border wait times on weekends are routinely 2 hours long, due to the amount of traffic between Vancouver and Seattle; I never remember wait times like that when I used to go to Buffalo or Port Huron.

- Traffic in the Vancouver area is heavily reliant on bridges, and a problem on one bridge can cause huge problems elsewhere in ways I never experienced when I lived in the GTA. There are eight bridges and an underwater tunnel in the region.

Toronto and Hamilton are just far enough from the US border that border traffic doesn’t impact day-to-day travels to the same extent as they do in Vancouver, and the Golden Horseshoe doesn’t rely on ferries either, so those are likely reasons for an all-traffic station being more likely to work for a market like Vancouver than some other markets like the Golden Horseshoe.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (December 1, 2023 2:39 pm)

December 1, 2023 3:13 pm  #19

Nothing beats 680 or I use google maps 

December 2, 2023 9:46 am  #20

markow202 wrote:

Nothing beats 680 or I use google maps 

I agree, 680’s reports are almost too detailed! Easily the best in this market.

December 2, 2023 10:20 am  #21

RadioActive wrote:

Surprised no one has mentioned CKAC Montreal

50 thousand watts

730 on the AM dial

All traffic all the time

En francais of course

December 2, 2023 6:51 pm  #22

unclefester wrote:

Is neither in southern Ontario nor in western North York.    Je me souviens

December 2, 2023 7:14 pm  #23

R-S-T-L-N-E wrote:

unclefester wrote:

Is neither in southern Ontario nor in western North York. Je me souviens

Did you make zero effort to read the thread?

Sure looks like it

3 different posters made reference to Vancouver

Capisce?

Last edited by unclefester (December 2, 2023 7:19 pm)

December 3, 2023 1:56 am  #24

Over on The Oldies Music Board, I'm only too happy if people want to extend the concept of the board, which had originally been 1950s-1970s on the previous board. Within reason, I'm just glad to see people posting, and I've posted about 1980s music myself hoping that this would help let people know that it's ok to do this. So I'm glad to see that this forum sometimes goes beyond its usual geographic area when it's relevant to te the subject at hand.

December 3, 2023 7:46 am  #25

there are no rules in rock and roll or for driving the streets of montreal

December 3, 2023 9:55 am  #26

Living in the south eastern corner of Georgian Bay, I find Barrie's Rock 95 the go to for traffic reports. During the mid day period, the on air DJ will even give updates if there is a major delay and put callers on the air from the scene . Traffic volume in Wasaga and Collingwood has become damneer GTA like at times, prompting me to sell my house and move 4 hours further north next month. I avoid the GTA now like the black plague and only plan to come south for my daughters graduation ceremony from U of T law school next year. 

December 3, 2023 10:36 am  #27

Lorne wrote:

Over on The Oldies Music Board, I'm only too happy if people want to extend the concept of the board, which had originally been 1950s-1970s on the previous board. Within reason, I'm just glad to see people posting, and I've posted about 1980s music myself hoping that this would help let people know that it's ok to do this. So I'm glad to see that this forum sometimes goes beyond its usual geographic area when it's relevant to te the subject at hand.

Great comment Lorne from top to bottom!

I get to the Oldies board on occasion & post once in a while

Much like SOWNY it too is a great source of info on its stated subject matter

See you there!

December 3, 2023 10:37 am  #28

R-S-T-L-N-E wrote:

there are no rules in rock and roll or for driving the streets of montreal

I'll have some of what he's smoking 

December 3, 2023 12:55 pm  #29

680 because I can't always trust Waze