sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2023 2:00 pm  #31

Re: CHAM, CKOC, CKWW Sold

R-S-T-L-N-E wrote:

What about the thousands of long-term, faithful Funny and Bloomberg listeners?     Does this situation have potential to turn ugly?  

What about the fact that 820 Cham's last words as a Country station were "Finally a Country station you can count on"
Then poof! It was Funny 820. 
There is hardly any audience as Funny 820. They had a stronger audience as Legend 820 and could still go that route, but then it may mean splurging on an American network evenings and overnights. 
(I'd say 24/7, but Can Con has to be considered)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 22, 2023 3:53 pm  #32

Saul wrote:

I wonder if the new owner ultimately wants the frequencies and has contingency plans to relocate to new premises with much simpler systems. They already have a site in Windsor, though I have no idea if they own it or if it's feasible to also accommodate an AM.

If they want to move the transmitter site, I think that would have to be part of the application

November 22, 2023 5:15 pm  #33

andysradio wrote:

Saul wrote:

I wonder if the new owner ultimately wants the frequencies and has contingency plans to relocate to new premises with much simpler systems. They already have a site in Windsor, though I have no idea if they own it or if it's feasible to also accommodate an AM.

If they want to move the transmitter site, I think that would have to be part of the application

... or a future one should the site become unavailable. Contingency plan...

November 22, 2023 5:58 pm  #34

Relocating any of these stations would be prohibitively expensive, in the millions, taking into account land, towers, antennas, ground system, transmitter and buildings. The only new directional AM station built in the last 15 years from scratch was CJLI AM 700 in Calgary.  All the others were co-located with existing AM stations.

November 22, 2023 6:34 pm  #35

Skywave wrote:

Relocating any of these stations would be prohibitively expensive, in the millions, taking into account land, towers, antennas, ground system, transmitter and buildings. The only new directional AM station built in the last 15 years from scratch was CJLI AM 700 in Calgary.  All the others were co-located with existing AM stations.

Any room on the 1220 AM tower site? 

November 22, 2023 7:08 pm  #36

Skywave wrote:

I'm thinking significantly reduced power, and omni. And really just a worst case backup scenario... in the millions - really?

November 25, 2023 8:53 am  #37

Is there a possibility we could see a return to Oldies 1150 and 820 CHAM Country or something similar to that? According to this article in today's Hamilton Spectator, the new owner says maybe:

Change in the works for Hamilton radio landscape as Toronto broadcaster looks to buy AM 1150 and 820

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

November 25, 2023 8:34 pm  #38

I'm not entirely sure I believe what Mr. Ray says, but it's a lot better than yet a 17th and 18th pair of more ethnic stations here in the GTHA. If he can make a go of it, I would be happy to have CKOC go back to its oldies roots. Although with CFAJ and the Grand in the mix, it's going to have to have a lot more going for it than just those legendary calls. 

CHAM tried talk for a little while, roughly as long as a cup of coffee as they say, and while I enjoyed it, it had a lot of syndicated programming and too many sponsored shows on the weekend like "Purity Products." I may be the only one who will miss the unique novelty of the comedy format, even if it does get a bit repetitive. 

November 25, 2023 8:52 pm  #39

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not entirely sure I believe what Mr. Ray says, but it's a lot better than yet a 17th and 18th pair of more ethnic stations here in the GTHA. If he can make a go of it, I would be happy to have CKOC go back to its oldies roots. Although with CFAJ and the Grand in the mix, it's going to have to have a lot more going for it than just those legendary calls. 

CHAM tried talk for a little while, roughly as long as a cup of coffee as they say, and while I enjoyed it, it had a lot of syndicated programming and too many sponsored shows on the weekend like "Purity Products." I may be the only one who will miss the unique novelty of the comedy format, even if it does get a bit repetitive. 

These are decent enough signals. There's people on this board who should be letting Ray know they know radio...

November 25, 2023 10:11 pm  #40

I wish Netti all the best.  He will have his hands full running these 2 AM stations in Hamilton and CKWW in Windsor.  it is too bad the hearing isn't until February.  Can't see the CRTC having any issues with this transaction.  

If he goes back to an oldies format for CKOC and maybe a country or talk mix for CHAM would be  interesting, but also a big risk. Does Hamilton and area have any remaining low power FM openings?

Listened to Giant FM 91.7 out of Welland today, never listened to them before.  Signal was coming in just south of the 401 near Guelph.  Good music.  And Giant is already playing a little Christmas rock music.

Noticing more stations already mixing in holiday tunes in the playlist.  Still too early to be all Christmas in my opinion. 

November 25, 2023 10:22 pm  #41

Too bad for him that CKDX just went all country, although I'm not sure if it comes in well in Hamilton. 

November 25, 2023 10:25 pm  #42

Isn't 94.7 the problem in that regard?

November 25, 2023 10:41 pm  #43

Saul wrote:

Isn't 94.7 the problem in that regard?

Nope. There is still demand for Country music that 94.7 doesn't play. 
(or a variety Country format with 94.7's music in lite rotation)

November 25, 2023 10:43 pm  #44

RadioActive wrote:

Too bad for him that CKDX just went all country, although I'm not sure if it comes in well in Hamilton. 

I don't think that's a problem if 820 goes in a classic direction.

Also, as for CKOC, I wonder if the simple plan is to just toss on the Windsor playlist and call it a day?

November 25, 2023 11:02 pm  #45

RadioActive wrote:

Yes as Saul mentioned KX 94.7 is the issue and the station has been doing well.  So CHAM would absolutely need to be different or as the new owner implied a mix of something else that could include country with talk. 

November 26, 2023 8:33 am  #46

I wonder if there would be a large enough  following for a classic country format ? The 820 signal has some strength through out southern Ontario. 

November 26, 2023 9:57 am  #47

Every single one of these is a recipe to lose money. Lots of it.

November 26, 2023 11:02 am  #48

IMO at least, the recipe to succeed is to focus on the community, hire a couple locally minded journalists who understand radio, and have programs that are an upper. Embed yourself with people and community events and such. Be out there, visible. And be Hamilton. I'd program music with that which would suit general broad tastes, and definitely promote local talent and such.

November 26, 2023 11:12 am  #49

Saul wrote:

IMO at least, the recipe to succeed is to focus on the community, hire a couple locally minded journalists who understand radio, and have programs that are an upper. Embed yourself with people and community events and such. Be out there, visible. And be Hamilton. I'd program music with that which would suit general broad tastes, and definitely promote local talent and such.

It doesn't matter what you program. 

Any ratings will be 55+ so national sales are a no-go.

The local media sales pie in Hamilton is very small, and you'd be depending on a business owner who
-is 55+ themselves
-actually makes their own marketing decisions
-has a clientele who is also 55+
-has heard of and believes in the stations

It doesn't add up

November 26, 2023 11:41 am  #50

Traditionally, Hamilton listeners will tune into or click on a station that reflects their community.

November 26, 2023 11:53 am  #51

The top-rated station in Hamilton is often Boom 97.3, despite Hamilton having its own local station with similar music and a morning show with two of the city's best known personalities. 

November 26, 2023 1:04 pm  #52

You can get music anywhere
I was thinking  more about news and information that is local and live with a bit of promotion.

November 26, 2023 1:26 pm  #53

These three stations won't be caring about national sales.  Other than major markets, national sales have become less and less important to radio.   That's why many medium and small markets have dropped Numeris.  Why pay for ratings info that agencies want and have national continue to plummet?   As we are seeing with prime time TV ratings the actual numbers seem to be less important as well. 

The only chance that CKOC, CHAM, and CKWW have to hang on, or to prolong the inevitable is to be local.  Cater advertising packages to local and regional businesses especially those with co-op advertising dollars available.  There is sizable money available with large regional operations and co-op advertising that radio doesn't go after.

Important for both CHAM and CKOC that they develop relations with The Spectator and CHCH with contra advertising and cross promotion of personalities.  The two AM stations, newspaper and TV all have the same goal and that is to be local.  

Last edited by paterson1 (November 26, 2023 1:29 pm)

November 26, 2023 3:38 pm  #54

RadioAaron wrote:

I highly doubt that.  

November 26, 2023 3:39 pm  #55

Broodcaster wrote:

You can get music anywhere
I was thinking  more about news and information that is local and live with a bit of promotion.

That would still be a 55+ demo.

You are not going to bring anyone new to the AM band with ANY type of programming. Period.

The local ad dollars are simply not there. Those that are not already advertising on radio are not going to flock to a station they themselves would never listen to.

This is a pipe-dream.

November 26, 2023 3:44 pm  #56

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I highly doubt that.  

Well you clearly haven't looked at a modern balance sheet.

November 26, 2023 3:46 pm  #57

paterson1 wrote:

Important for both CHAM and CKOC that they develop relations with The Spectator and CHCH with contra advertising and cross promotion of personalities.  The two AM stations, newspaper and TV all have the same goal and that is to be local.  

These are their competitors, especially CHCH! CHCH has more in common with a radio station than a TV station, focusing all their money and effort on radio's prime-time shifts and charging radio-level rates for local spots.

November 26, 2023 5:37 pm  #58

Maybe the Spec or CHCH would have been an ideal buyer. Cross marketing opportunities etc. But either these will die as Aaron says  (or I interpret him saying) or they will be obsessively local. Ray needs to find local management who have drive, smarts and a strong already existing community presence. Taking a station there and building it into a real vital presence would be a helluva trip.

November 26, 2023 6:59 pm  #59

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

These are their competitors, especially CHCH! CHCH has more in common with a radio station than a TV station, focusing all their money and effort on radio's prime-time shifts and charging radio-level rates for local spots.

The biggest competitor for CHCH, The Spec, CHAM and CKOC would be Toronto media and hog town is only 61 km  away. These Hamilton media outlets are struggling, but luckily they all have a sizable footprint beyond Hamilton.  The four of them are also independent which has some big advantages over conglomerates, if they cooperate and work together with personalities and cross promotion.  Possibly even a few advertising promotions.

There are still local dollars in the Hamilton area, they just need to recognize and exploit them.  Again all media  should be exploring co-op advertising, even with rural farm implement dealers who have access to large co-op money with their suppliers.  Foolishly radio, even country music stations does almost zero with this.

It is hard work, but with coop advertising, once you're in, you're in.  

November 26, 2023 8:51 pm  #60

Today's Country Music is not targeting farmers. That notion is long gone as much as many farms are owned by large corporate organizations.  According to the Globe and Mail article on November 18; "Between 1941 and 2021 the number of farms in Canada fell by approximately 75 per cent".