sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 25, 2023 6:53 pm  #1

Seventeen Yrs. Ago - The Final Printed Cdn. TV Guide Says Goodbye

It's obsolete for most of us with phones, computers, DVRs and the like. But despite the hash Telemedia made of this iconic publication, somehow I still miss it. It left print in Canada to go to the web only on Nov. 25, 2006. It didn't last online, although it still exists both in print and on the Internet in the U.S. 

November 25, 2023 8:17 pm  #2

Re: Seventeen Yrs. Ago - The Final Printed Cdn. TV Guide Says Goodbye

I miss it too RA. I use to wait at the store on Tuesdays for the new editions to arrive.

My sister collects them. I go through them to find movies I have not seen. You would be surprised what movies were aired which are not easily found today.

Sadly TVG would not make it in today’s world. Much of my  I
Viewing is streaming based. I am close to closing my traditional tv provider.

November 25, 2023 9:06 pm  #3

The owner of TV Guide in the U.S. (CBS if I'm not mistaken) has just started a new printed publication called "TV Insider." It's a TV guide, but only for streaming services. I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing there won't be times and "channels" like the old Guide, since streaming doesn't really have a schedule. It's designed to tell you what's new and what's good on the major services. 

As for the U.S. version of the old TV Guide, it's almost useless. The one we had as kids told you not only the time and the channel, but the plotlines of all the shows and sometimes the title and even significant guest stars. Subscribers today get listings like this, which are really not very useful:

November 27, 2023 9:05 am  #4

Like so many everyday things from the past, gone. The internet is a great tool but it really changed the world, TV Guide being one of many casualties. Newspapers are just hanging in there, sad.

November 27, 2023 10:13 am  #5

Who needs TV Guide today? (Even an online edition) when something as simple as Rogers Ignite TV has a built in TV guide, and it even tells me if the program I am watching, or about to watch is new.

The world has changed indeed. Although, a TV guide magazine that talks about upcoming TV shows and why an actor left a show...or is leaving  a show.
Stuff like that might still work today, but instead of "guide" it would have the better title of "TV NEWS".

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 27, 2023 10:32 am  #6

The first edition available in Canada came the week of June 26, 1953. From what I could find, only five channels were listed. WBEN ch 4 [CBS] Buffalo. WROC ch 6 [NBC] Rochester. WHEN ch 8 [CBS] Syracuse. CBLT ch 9 [CBC] Toronto. WBUF ch 17 [ABC] Buffalo. A few other tidbits I discovered. The "COLOR" bar was introduced in 1956, reduced to a "C" in 1969, eliminated in 1972 because most programs were in colour. That year the "B&W" was introduced. In July 2006, the 140 local editions that made the magazine so special were discontinued in favour of the bland, generic version that still exists in the U.S. today.