sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2023 12:26 am  #1

Classic 1220 Adding New Shows

After three years+ of non-stop testing, it's nice to see Classic 1220 adding a few new shows beyond the weekday morning and afternoon drive. (I tune in occasionally and have yet to hear a single non-PSA real spot. Have they ever actually aired one?)

The first newcomer promises to give the inside story behind the hits they play, while the second is the return of an old area favourite. There's no immediate word on when the third debuts, but if it's a late night show, as I expect it might be, the only way to hear it in the GTA after dark will be online, because the station's signal disappears here with the pattern change.

November 8, 2023 10:03 am  #2

Re: Classic 1220 Adding New Shows

I think CHSC used to carry Coast to Coast AM at one time. Is this X Zone a cheaper alternative ? 

November 8, 2023 10:52 am  #3

They seem to be scooping up talent from Giant FM; Shane Christopher Neal is or I guess now "was" with Giant. 

November 8, 2023 11:19 am  #4

Hopefully these new shows will make it to air sometime soon.  Got to give the station some credit, it looks like they are at least trying a bit more now .  Haven't tuned in for a while, wonder if they are starting to attract any local advertisers. Some sponsored or barter programming is likely coming up at some point.  

Does anyone know how Lake FM in Kingston is doing?  I have never heard any advertising on the station but then again they often play 20 songs in a row.  They have great id's, image and the music is right on for the audience they want. 

November 8, 2023 11:31 am  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Does anyone know how Lake FM in Kingston is doing?  I have never heard any advertising on the station but then again they often play 20 songs in a row.  They have great id's, image and the music is right on for the audience they want. 

It’s going to be quite a while until we know, at least as far as ratings go. Diary markets’ numbers are now based on a rolling average, so their ratings are going to include Kiss for a while.

In the last release,  the station was down from its last all-Kiss book

November 20, 2023 5:55 pm  #6

We now know what time the "X Zone" is going to debut on CFAJ. And if you're in the GTA and want to hear this Coast To Coast clone, you'll probably have to listen online - it starts at 11 PM every weeknight, beginning Nov. 27th. Given the station's night pattern, its signal is practically non-existent here after dark.

Worth noting that the 1220 frequency was where this show originated back when they were still CHSC. And 30 years later, it still has the same host - Rob McConnell. 

Spooky favourite ‘The ‘X’ Zone’ returns to Niagara radio

November 20, 2023 8:30 pm  #7

I can confirm I have heard spots on Lake FM in Kingston.  I can also agree the music / jocks and imaging are really solid.     My guess is the strategy is to keep it really clean to intro the audience.    I do recall a friend saying they had some transmitter upgrades being done.

November 20, 2023 8:38 pm  #8

RadioQuiz wrote:

I can confirm I have heard spots on Lake FM in Kingston. I can also agree the music / jocks and imaging are really solid. My guess is the strategy is to keep it really clean to intro the audience. I do recall a friend saying they had some transmitter upgrades being done.

They're usually semi-dominant . But Cleveland OH and Salem IN stations running 1220 when I tuned by at 1900 EST tonight. I'm in north Kawarthas. I'm now on 1110 trying to figure out who's running Grateful Dead bootlegs.

February 22, 2024 11:00 am  #9

Looks like they already blew up the morning show.
Chuck and Stephanie seem to be gone and only 'Danny Zzzz' remains, with 'Craig THE ROCKET Scime'. Craig's copy/pasted morning show bio still says he will be starting overnights on January 2nd, 2024.
The question is...were they let go? Or did they leave because they realized that this station isn't really viable? How are they paying anyone?!

February 22, 2024 11:37 am  #10

It also seems to have become a Classic Rock station

February 22, 2024 12:19 pm  #11

This station never fails to surprise me.

Three years of testing, missing their sign on-date despite enormous local publicity, announcing a morning team and just a few months later, watching it fall apart, and - while I admit I've not been monitoring it a lot - I've yet to hear an actual paid commercial on the station to this day. I assume there must be some but anytime I've tuned in, all I've heard are PSAs or music. 

The question repeated above can't be stressed enough: how are they staying in business?

February 22, 2024 1:17 pm  #12

I heard a newscast, sports and weather at 12 noon.  A few local news stories and they ran a commercial.  The weather also had two sponsorships.  The newscaster introduced the song out of the traffic report, Fully Completely from Tragically Hip.

Odd that they often play only one song then into a promo or PSA and then into another song.  No announcer talking into or out of the breaks that I heard.  Sounds disjointed.

Just heard a break with two commercials.  Again no announcer talk in or out of the break or station ID.  

February 22, 2024 2:16 pm  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

It also seems to have become a Classic Rock station

If so, then indeed with some softer (classic rock) tracks, perhaps too soft for Q107. (maybe...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 4, 2024 6:47 pm  #14

Stef has joined 105.1 The River as morning co-host. 105theriver.ca