sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 13, 2023 10:38 am  #1

Mad Magazine's Phony Radio Ad

Mad Magazine has surely seen better days. But this isn't bad (or mad!) I think this is from around 2014.

November 15, 2023 9:54 am  #2

Re: Mad Magazine's Phony Radio Ad

Mad magazine was a big thing for me as a teenager in the 70s, Fold Ins, Snappy Answers, Don Martin,(Pweet!), Spy vs. Spy and much more. It was the gateway magazine to National Lampoon for me and I wish I had kept a few issues of each. Thanks for sharing RadioActive!

November 15, 2023 9:57 am  #3

I still have a few old Mads and even one "Cracked," its presumed competitor. But the magazine hasn't been the same since DC took it over and started allowing - horror of horrors! - real ads!

November 15, 2023 10:04 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I still have a few old Mads and even one "Cracked," its presumed competitor. But the magazine hasn't been the same since DC took it over and started allowing - horror of horrors! - real ads!

There was also “Sick”, another humour magazine which I didn’t care for much, they had a knock off Alfred E. Neuman character which bugged me for some reason, bad design?

November 15, 2023 10:08 am  #5

Don't remember Sick, but there was only one Mad.

November 15, 2023 10:53 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Don't remember Sick, but there was only one Mad.

I was a pretty faithful Mad and Cracked reader back in the 70s. I don’t remember Sick, but I did occasionally pick up Crazy magazine. It was a pretty pale imitation of Mad and Cracked.

November 15, 2023 2:31 pm  #7

I was a huge Mad fan from the late 1960s into the 70s.
Loved the movie and TV show parodies.
And of course I always did the back page "fold in."
Too bad Mad eventually went the way of all commercial magazines -- started running real ads and changing humour from truly imaginative satire to mediocre humour based on sexism and vague racism.
William F Gaines must be revolving in his grave.

November 15, 2023 6:46 pm  #8

The Internet Archive has a ton of material from the vintage days of Mad Magazine. Here's one I've never seen that would certainly be of interest to some here: a satire of TV Guide from 1963. It was called "TV Guise" and purports to show you the new shows that are on "all weak."

The interface is a little clunky but if you're interested, it's at the link below.

Mad Magazine TV Guise

November 16, 2023 9:03 am  #9

Thanks again for sharing RadioActive, spent some time checking out the archives you suggested, lots there!