sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2023 10:58 am  #31

Re: The New Beatles Song Is Out. Hear It Here.

I'm 15 listens in. It's a keeper. The video says a million things. Wow.

November 3, 2023 11:19 am  #32

Dial Twister wrote:

I'm 15 listens in. It's a keeper. The video says a million things. Wow.

I agree, the song is really growing on me and the video is the perfect compliment.   

Now and Then has been released as a double A  single with the flip being Love Me Do which was the first single release by the Beatles in the UK in October 1962.

BBC 6 was the first station in the world to premier Now and Then followed 45 seconds later by BBC 2.

The strings were arranged and conducted by Giles Martin the son of Beatle producer George Martin.

Now and Then is crossing radio formats with classic rock, country, AC, Hot AC, Alternative and others playing the song...https://www.insideradio.com/free/now-and-then-more-than-a-dozen-formats-embrace-new-beatles-single/article_744853da-79c4-11ee-a83e-cfe15366ae0b.html

November 3, 2023 11:24 am  #33

Great thanks to Peter Jackson.  I do like the song very much.  Kudos to Giles Martin for the string arrangements.  Just like his old man.

November 3, 2023 11:47 am  #34

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

It was a kind of cultural touchstone moment that had many in the world talking. So if all the talks stations and the country stations in the iHeart chain in the U.S. stopped programming at 10AM to play it, given CHUM's heritge in this city you might think they'd want to be part of it, even just this once.

CHUM’s audience is not talking about it. I’m married to a CHUM P1 and I doubt she could name a Beatles song without looking it up.

iHeart in the US got their money.

That would appear to be the truth. I don't think CHUM 104.5's audience cares much about heritage. After 1050 packed it in as a music station, it seems to be just us "older guys" that associate the CHUM name with rock and roll. 

PJ

And yet it seems that wasn't the sentiment in the U.S. If nothing else, the curiosity factor alone may have made it worth breaking the format just this once.  

"While classic rock stations gave it the most spins, “Now and Then” was also heard on triple A, active rock, classic hits, hot AC, country, alternative, AC, top 40, adult hits, and rhythmic stations."

Even some talk stations broke from the usual blah-blah-blah to play it. That's pretty unusual.

Now and Then’: More Than A Dozen Formats Embrace New Beatles Single

November 3, 2023 12:09 pm  #35

RadioActive wrote:

It was a kind of cultural touchstone moment that had many in the world talking. So if all the talks stations and the country stations in the iHeart chain in the U.S. stopped programming at 10AM to play it, given CHUM's heritge in this city you might think they'd want to be part of it, even just this once.

My same thoughts!  I beleive the music director is the same Millenial as the listeners so yes, why would they.  Bring on Rihanna!

November 3, 2023 12:10 pm  #36

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

CHUM’s audience is not talking about it. I’m married to a CHUM P1 and I doubt she could name a Beatles song without looking it up.

iHeart in the US got their money.

That would appear to be the truth. I don't think CHUM 104.5's audience cares much about heritage. After 1050 packed it in as a music station, it seems to be just us "older guys" that associate the CHUM name with rock and roll. 

PJ

Yes and no as they do still dip into the 80s with back in the day brunch show and they still try to present "throwbacks" but those are mostly mid 90s onwards.  

November 3, 2023 12:11 pm  #37

markow202 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

My same thoughts!  I beleive the music director is the same Millenial as the listeners so yes, why would they.  Bring on Rihanna!

Indeed, when a programmer is of the same generation as the intended audience, correct decisions for that audience are made. Funny how that works.

November 3, 2023 1:49 pm  #38

And yet it seems that wasn't the sentiment in the U.S. If nothing else, the curiosity factor alone may have made it worth breaking the format just this once.  

"While classic rock stations gave it the most spins, “Now and Then” was also heard on triple A, active rock, classic hits, hot AC, country, alternative, AC, top 40, adult hits, and rhythmic stations."

Even some talk stations broke from the usual blah-blah-blah to play it. That's pretty unusual.

Not really sure if this is very widespread however.  Likely 95% of Top 40 stations aren't playing the song (yet). 
Interesting that on the two radio forums I read from Detroit and Radio Discussions in Buffalo, nothing said about Now and Then that I noticed.  No discussion.  Seems we are giving the song much more attention here with lively banter...

Last edited by paterson1 (November 3, 2023 1:51 pm)

November 3, 2023 3:22 pm  #39

paterson1 wrote:

Not really sure if this is very widespread however.

Of course it got some attention here - it's both radio-related and Baby Boomer related, and many here fit both profiles. 

I'm willing to bet that Oldies 104 and 97 Rock in Buffalo almost certainly played it. The fact it wasn't brought up on a discussion board doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

And while I'm guessing there was some sponsorship behind it, more than 740 iHeart radio stations in the U.S. interrupted all their programming at exactly 10 AM EDT Wednesday to play it simultaneously - and the formats of the stations didn't make any difference.

Say what you will about audience expectations and formats, but they made an exception for this.

I think you'd have to admit over 740 stations could certainly be called "widespread."

November 3, 2023 3:30 pm  #40

paterson1 wrote:

Likely 95% of Top 40 stations aren't playing the song (yet). 

100% aren't and won't. A few US ones did once and won't again.

November 3, 2023 3:38 pm  #41

For the record, I never said it would go into regular rotation. Only that the special once-in-a-lifetime nature of the event may have been of interest to some listeners. 

Having said that, I'm a big booster of consistency, so it doesn't surprise me that some Top 40 stations didn't or won't play it. 

Of course, if Taylor Swift sneezes, that's worth an hour long special trying to determine exactly who she was sneezing at and what it all means.

November 3, 2023 4:47 pm  #42

The song is quite underwhelming, but after all, the bar couldn't be set any higher. Pretty hard to meet the standard.

The video is very cool. Wonderful to see those guys when they were fab.

November 3, 2023 5:57 pm  #43

YMCA wrote:

The song is quite underwhelming, but after all, the bar couldn't be set any higher. Pretty hard to meet the standard.

The video is very cool. Wonderful to see those guys when they were fab.

My initial reaction was somewhat similar to yours, YMCA. However, the more I listen, the more I get it.

Rick Beato's take...

November 5, 2023 6:27 pm  #44

It's not really a surprise, I suppose, but the Beatles "new" and apparently last single has hit the top of the charts in Britain, their 18th tune to make it to that position and their very first since 1969.

That's 54 years between #1s. I'm not sure if that's an all-time record, but it certainly has to be in the running.

The Beatles on course for first Number 1 single in 54 years with 'Now And Then'

Also: The Beatles’ 50 Top Songs on the Billboard Hot 100

November 6, 2023 9:04 pm  #45

The new single has officially gone to #1 on Billboard's Digital Songs Sales Chart. It's the 12th time the Beatles have ever appeared on that listing and their highest charting position of all.

The Beatles Chart The Bestselling Song In America More Than 50 Years After Their Breakup

November 6, 2023 9:10 pm  #46

Every time I listen, I get more out of it. It's like we set our clocks back 50+ years last Saturday night.