sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2023 9:44 am  #1

Radio Antennas Face A "Growing" Problem

I'd never heard of this before, but it seems to be a new danger for radio antennas - an invasive plant species which can literally climb up your tower. Not sure if it's in Canada yet, but it's probably only a matter of time. 

This Is One Tower-Climber You Don’t Want to See

October 30, 2023 3:24 pm  #2

Re: Radio Antennas Face A "Growing" Problem

The kudzu vine is truly invasive.  I was in Bryson City, NC last fall and it was shocking to see how this vine takes over trees, climbs fences, and even envelops abandoned buildings.  It will kill other vegetation by blocking sunlight and taking over root space.

October 30, 2023 4:10 pm  #3

I just saw on the news a couple of years ago that kudzu has made its way into south-west Ontario along the north shore of L Erie.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 30, 2023 4:58 pm  #4

With maintenance it would have to be cut/stopped once it attempts to grow onto something?

October 30, 2023 5:40 pm  #5

I wonder if it's edible. And, if so, if it's tasty. Here's a New Orleans invasive species dinner I wrote up a few years ago:

https://nowtoronto.com/food-and-drink/cant-beat-and8216em-eat-and8216em/

October 31, 2023 3:46 pm  #6

With all due respect, this matter does not require a certified graduate of Fanshawe College or of the Lorne Greene school, to resolve.  It does require a set of lopping pruning shears (approx $40 from Home Depot) and a quantity of RoundUp bush & poison ivy spray (also approx $40 from Home Depot).     Use the shears now to cut the weed at its base.   Use the RoundUp in early spring and weekly (initially) thereafter on foliage as high as one can reach w/o a ladder.     

The combination of being cut off close to its roots and the spray early in its growing season will do the job.      Don't be afraid to get your knees dirty.     Always glad to help  

Marcus Cullin

October 31, 2023 3:51 pm  #7

MarcCullin wrote:

With all due respect, this matter does not require a certified graduate of Fanshawe College or of the Lorne Greene school, to resolve.  It does require a set of lopping pruning shears (approx $40 from Home Depot) and a quantity of RoundUp bush & poison ivy spray (also approx $40 from Home Depot).     Use the shears now to cut the weed at its base.   Use the RoundUp in early spring and weekly (initially) thereafter on foliage as high as one can reach w/o a ladder.     

The combination of being cut off close to its roots and the spray early in its growing season will do the job.      Don't be afraid to get your knees dirty.     Always glad to help  

Marcus Cullin

Not to be confused with Marc Cullen, the gardening guru.

By the way, didn't they ban the sale of Round Up in Canada a few years ago?

October 31, 2023 3:59 pm  #8

RoundUp is displayed behind locked display cabinets but is popular in poison ivy country where it continues to be sold in 5-litre containers with a built-in spray gun feature.

She comes on like a rose, but everybody knows, she'll get you in Dutch; you can look but you better not touch, Poison Ivy
She's pretty as a daisy but look out man, she's crazy.    She'll really do you in if you let her get under your skin

(Special thx to the Coasters for this agricultural support)

October 31, 2023 11:31 pm  #9

MarcCullin wrote:

RoundUp is displayed behind locked display cabinets but is popular in poison ivy country where it continues to be sold in 5-litre containers with a built-in spray gun feature.

True, but it is ridiculously overpriced, and it's premixed. A jug doesn't go very far. It is possible to buy the concentrate (the kind that used to be available here) from some web sites in the USA. I decided to gamble and ordered some (generic glyphosate concentrate) from an equine oriented site. I was somewhat surprised when it arrived at my front door via UPS, no questions asked.

November 1, 2023 10:05 am  #10

YMCA wrote:

it is ridiculously overpriced, and it's premixed. A jug doesn't go very far 

If sprayed on foliage during the active growing season (May - October), and bearing in mind that the plant in this case is growing vertically, a 5-litre jug should easily last five (5) years. Bear in mind that only the easily reachable bottom part (six feet) of the plant needs to be sprayed, to shock the entire plant.   Also bear in mind that my recommendation included cutting the main stem (again, on easily reachable areas) with a hand lopper, when a stem re-appears.  

That program would work out to approx $8 in each of those five years for the RoundUp  

Marcos

November 1, 2023 11:27 am  #11

Oh, in this particular case I quite agree. Where it gets expensive is if you have a large property up north with lots of weeds. Compared to what a litre of concentrate used to cost, premix is outrageously expensive.