sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2023 2:28 pm  #1

Annoying TV Ads

I don't watch much TV. Maybe the ads are part of the reason for that.

One that really irks me these days is the one for a hearing aid Company called Hearing Life. While an announcer is reading the ad a woman keeps humming in the background.

Any others?

Last edited by turkeytop (October 21, 2023 2:28 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 21, 2023 3:18 pm  #2

Re: Annoying TV Ads

Billboard ads that read "Move to Alberta!" listing various reasons why they believe it's a great idea
BUT YET
TV ADS that air here in Ontario that deliver the message "NEVER MIND! DON'T BOTHER! There is a problem with electricity here!" (or there soon will be)

It's annoying seeing ads for Alberta that have nothing to do with Ontario. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 21, 2023 4:00 pm  #3

I haven't see the Alberta ads yet. What puzzles me these days are the number of ads for various vacation destinations in Canada. The tourist season is over.

The ads for online gambling are a little tiring.

Last edited by turkeytop (October 21, 2023 4:01 pm)

October 21, 2023 9:35 pm  #4

The Desjardins Insurance ad on TV and Radio aired in the past called "Know Your Clients" which I think it was a ripoff to Family Feud and using the podiums which look like the Showcase podiums from The Price Is Right. I found that ad annoying  but glad they are not airing it anymore.

October 21, 2023 10:36 pm  #5

What's with all the ads for women's incontinence products? Are all women pissing themselves nowadays? Too busy to stop for a bathroom break?

Last edited by turkeytop (October 21, 2023 10:44 pm)

October 21, 2023 11:17 pm  #6

turkeytop wrote:

What's with all the ads for women's incontinence products? Are all women pissing themselves nowadays? Too busy to stop for a bathroom break?

Actually, I like the one ad where the woman turns into a mermaid type fish. 
Creative advertising.

October 21, 2023 11:31 pm  #7

I have to confess I DVR almost everything except the news. So I never see any of the ads. From what I'm reading here, I can see I'm not missing anything!

October 21, 2023 11:35 pm  #8

The ads for prescriptin drugs on US TV. A lot of them don't even say what condition the drug is intended to treat. "Ask yout Doctor if it's right for you."

October 22, 2023 7:11 am  #9

turkeytop wrote:

The ads for prescriptin drugs on US TV. A lot of them don't even say what condition the drug is intended to treat. "Ask yout Doctor if it's right for you."

And half the ad is used for listing the possible side effects if you do take them.

October 22, 2023 7:36 am  #10

mace wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

And half the ad is used for listing the possible side effects if you do take them.

I wish the FCC and CRTC could come to an agreement to allow pill ads to air the same way, without having to go to a website to know what the pill is and what it is for. 

I am tired of those what is Alesse ads that, if they were American, would have confirmed what Alesse pills are and what they are for.  (plus all the side effects)
I'm also tired of those stupid ads that start talking about a pill, but then suddenly a very loud coffee grinder blocks the conversation and the ad tells people to go to a website to know what the pill is for. 

What's the point in not being allowed to mention it on television if the viewer is just going to google it anyway?
Kinda stupid.
I agree with the American ads. A lot more informative without being forced to google anything when I am trying to simply relax and enjoy a TV program. 

October 23, 2023 1:26 pm  #11

mace wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

"Don't take this medication if you're allergic to it."

October 23, 2023 7:37 pm  #12

As much as I like the radio station, I can't stand the current commercial for CHFI. Everyone looks so dorky wiggling around and making weird faces. 

October 25, 2023 11:32 am  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

Billboard ads that read "Move to Alberta!" listing various reasons why they believe it's a great idea
BUT YET
TV ADS that air here in Ontario that deliver the message "NEVER MIND! DON'T BOTHER! There is a problem with electricity here!" (or there soon will be)

It's annoying seeing ads for Alberta that have nothing to do with Ontario. 

It's more annoying being in Alberta (or anywhere else in Canada) and being force fed ALL those TV ads for betting apps which are only for Ontarians.

October 25, 2023 11:54 am  #14

any and all sports betting ads, which run incessantly on Sportsnet and TSN.  I could live the rest of my life without ever betting on sports, or knowing the "odds" on a particular game.  The Canadian sports networks are addicted to gambling advertising $, even though the Sportsnet and TSN packages now cost $50 per month (retail).   They have gone to "in program" advertorials giving you betting info as well.  A pox on them all.

October 25, 2023 12:20 pm  #15

tvguy wrote:

any and all sports betting ads, which run incessantly on Sportsnet and TSN.  I could live the rest of my life without ever betting on sports, or knowing the "odds" on a particular game.  The Canadian sports networks are addicted to gambling advertising $, even though the Sportsnet and TSN packages now cost $50 per month (retail).   They have gone to "in program" advertorials giving you betting info as well.  A pox on them all.

I'm all for freedom of speech however when your freedom interrupts mine then we have a problem. Yes, I can mute the commercials or change the channel or heaven forbid just drop watching hockey but that just isn't right. If it was a socially redeeming issue (human rights etc), than yes we should have a decent discussion but come on, it's gambling where talking about. Those that wage on games know how and where to do it. Why does the general populace need to be subjected to these inane/incessant advertisements that interrupt our enjoyment of our favourite sport? Maybe it's time they do what they did to the cigarette company's years ago. Just a though