sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2023 9:40 am  #1

The Next Evolution: Some Cable Systems No Longer Offering Actual Cable

Some are calling it the future of cable TV - no wires.

With cord cutting continuing at what must be an alarming rate for cable companies, several big U.S. entities are now telling customers they will no longer be able to buy traditional cable. Instead, they'll be getting it through streaming only. Only those who specifically request a set-top box (for an added $5 monthly fee) will be able to get one. Otherwise, the packages offered will be cheaper. 

Even the accompanying DVR service will be cloud-based only. 

Giants like Spectrum have instituted the policy in some markets, joining others who've already taken that route. In the end, it may not make much difference to viewers. But it's another sign of change for traditional cable companies and you have to wonder if Bell and Rogers are watching with interest. 

Spectrum is Ditching Traditional Cable TV & Is Going Streaming Only For New TV Customers

October 18, 2023 9:45 am  #2

Re: The Next Evolution: Some Cable Systems No Longer Offering Actual Cable

Telus is already offering this (an Android streaming box along side their usual IPTV offering), as well as Bell (https://support.bell.ca/tv/using-the-bell-streamer). 

October 18, 2023 10:00 am  #3

So I take it this means you could take your cable (or whatever they would call it) with you wherever you go. But what about your IP address that they would use to locate where you are? Could you still watch a Leafs or Jays game on Sportsnet if you're in a hotel room in New York State? Would they still call it Rogers Cable? And what about things like buying a pay-per-view movie, which traditionally goes through a set top box? 

Maybe I'm over thinking this but it brings up a lot of questions. 

October 18, 2023 10:22 am  #4

The only cable is the one that connects to the cable modem provided by the company you use. My mother switched to Rogers Ignite a few years ago.  Her set top boxes are basically IPTV boxes that uses either Ethernet or Wi-Fi.  All recordings made are in the cloud.

With the Rogers Ignite TV app, there are certain channels you cannot watch if you are not at home.  There is a list of "TV Go" channels that you can watch.  I am not sure if any of the sports channels are TV Go channels.  My guess is, they probably aren't.  However, you can still set up recordings for these non TV Go channels remotely, and then watch them at a later time.  No idea if you can start watching minutes after the recording starts, or if you have to wait until the recording is done before you can watch it though.

October 18, 2023 10:32 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

you have to wonder if Bell and Rogers are watching with interest. 

They're basically already there. Bell Fibe and Rogers Ingite are IP (Internet) streams. Their set-top boxes are really no different than an Apple TV or Roku. 

October 18, 2023 10:41 am  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

you have to wonder if Bell and Rogers are watching with interest. 

They're basically already there. Bell Fibe and Rogers Ingite are IP (Internet) streams. Their set-top boxes are really no different than an Apple TV or Roku. 

Exactly what I was thinking, but how soon before Rogers finally says good bye to Legacy cable?
There are Condos, co ops and apartments with Legacy cable included in the rent or condo fees.

Someone over at Rogers explained that some time in 2025 will be the end of Legacy cable, but there are some contracts in some buildings running well into 2026 and 2027.  
Currently, I know someone in this situation. They want Ignite TV, but they can't have it because the building arrangement prevents it. 
I'm guessing the contracts will be cut short and given bonus for transferring to Ignite in 2025...??? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 18, 2023 11:37 am  #7

I switched to Ignite Labour Day weekend. Everything seems to be working fine and my bill has dropped roughly $80/month for everything. Various consumer reps have told me that Ignite installation will be free until the end of December. January 2024 customers will pay. As for when Digital/Legacy will end, nobody seems to know. Rogers has made no official announcement. Personally, I think it will be done in two stages. Residential homes and apartment buildings, then Commercial establishments like bars and restaurants.

October 18, 2023 1:28 pm  #8

Our condo owns the cable in the building going to each unit. We switched from Rogers "Cable" and a NextBox K to the Ignite Entertainment boxes in April. Rogers also included their 1 GB Ignite Internet and Modem and some other extras. However, the signal is still delivered via cable, this time to the Modem and not the NextBox. While I could use it with Wireless, I've got a Cat 6 cable going to the Entertainment box.

Not sure how Rogers would plan on delivering Ignite TV and Internet in our building if they're not going to use cable.

October 18, 2023 3:11 pm  #9

I have YouTubeTV with Spectrum internet only here in WNY. I can login to YouTubeTV on my smartphone using cellular data. YouTubeTV uses your IP address to determine where you are. If let's say I travel from the Buffalo area to Rochester I would get Rochester local TV on the app.

Last edited by canam2021 (October 18, 2023 3:13 pm)

October 18, 2023 3:20 pm  #10

The Weed wrote:

Not sure how Rogers would plan on delivering Ignite TV and Internet in our building if they're not going to use cable.

"Not using cable" does not mean not using a physical cable. It means that the cable only delivers internet, and TV service is delivered through the internet rather than separate audio/video signals.