sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2023 9:24 pm  #1

Leafs have unveiled their new goal song

Seems only appropriate for the first game of the season. 

Leafs have unveiled their new goal song

October 11, 2023 10:53 pm  #2

Re: Leafs have unveiled their new goal song

Meh, it's an absolutely dreadful choice, you can barely hear the song on the broadcast over the crowd, and it didn't go over well on the social media platform formally known as Twitter, what a wasted opportunity.

They could have had a great contest over the summer, asked fans to send in their ideas and then vote on the final list with a bunch of prizes, or better yet, have invited Dave Bidini, Ron Sexsmith, Tom Cochrane...any number of talented Canadian musicians to create a one-of-a-kind anthem.

Or gee, they could have just have picked a tune you can HEAR.
They fanned on the shot and pucked up.

Last edited by betaylored (October 11, 2023 10:54 pm)

October 11, 2023 11:08 pm  #3

betaylored wrote:

Meh, it's an absolutely dreadful choice, you can barely hear the song on the broadcast over the crowd, and it didn't go over well on the social media platform formally known as Twitter, what a wasted opportunity.

They could have had a great contest over the summer, asked fans to send in their ideas and then vote on the final list with a bunch of prizes, or better yet, have invited Dave Bidini, Ron Sexsmith, Tom Cochrane...any number of talented Canadian musicians to create a one-of-a-kind anthem.

Or gee, they could have just have picked a tune you can HEAR.
They fanned on the shot and pucked up.

When I think pump-up goal song, I think Ron Sexsmith.

October 12, 2023 5:05 pm  #4

I wasn't aware of the song "Pursuit of Happiness" (by Kid Cudi) by name so I tried to listen to the replay of the first few goals & figured I could make out the song's melody if it was popular enough or played loud enough, but I could do neither with that recording of it as Betaylored had noted..

I found the Youtube version(s) & listened but it rang no real bells in my head as a really catchy or familiar tune even though it was made in 2009. It wasn't exactly morose, but not a great, pump-you-up sing-along song by any measure either.

Hall & Oates "You make my dreams (come true)" was a little too kitschy & saccharine sweet & need to be replaced, but there were sooo many better available songs to do that. Heck, a snippet of Tom Cochrane's "Big League" (Despite the sad reason Tom wrote the song in the first place) would be a better rah-rah-sounding goal song.

October 12, 2023 5:23 pm  #5

Speaking of Hall & Oates, is everyone here aware of the now infamous "Hall & Oates Phone Line?" 

This thing was started in 2011 by two app builders as a kind of a lark, but more 12 years later, it's improbably still around. The number for "Callin' Oates", your emergency Hall & Oates Hotline, is 1-719-266-2837 (or if you prefer 1-719-26-OATES) and is located in Colorado. 

You get to choose from four H&O songs - "Rich Girl," "Man Eater," "Private Eyes" and "One on One," but sadly for Leaf fans, not "You Make My Dreams Come True." Unfortunately, you only get to hear part of a song and not the whole thing. 

Hard to believe in the days of the Internet that this thing is still around, but so far, it shows no sign of going from online to off-the-line, but it just might make Sara Smile.

This dedicated Hall & Oates hotline is still active after a decade

October 12, 2023 5:27 pm  #6

How about no 'song' at all, when the team scores?  How about letting the cheering of the crowd celebrate the goal?  How about Blue Jays players come out to the plate to the sound of the paying fans, instead of some accompanying music to mark the event?  How about just letting sports be sports, without having to fill every possible second with audible and visual racket?  Is this noise supposed to somehow justify the ridiculous ticket prices?

Last edited by Walter (October 12, 2023 5:37 pm)

October 12, 2023 6:55 pm  #7

Walter wrote:

How about no 'song' at all, when the team scores?  How about letting the cheering of the crowd celebrate the goal?  How about Blue Jays players come out to the plate to the sound of the paying fans, instead of some accompanying music to mark the event?  How about just letting sports be sports, without having to fill every possible second with audible and visual racket?  Is this noise supposed to somehow justify the ridiculous ticket prices?

You mean you don't want the finely crafted mass entertainment sausage that the rich telecommunications/media company owners of MLSE have put together for large scale distribution?

Me neither.

I'm not a very good spectator to begin with because I'd really prefer to be playing but the whole excessive sizzle package surrounding the actual game in pretty much all professional sports has really put me off.  I don't have any interest in buying their tickets or watching their shows, so I don't.  What I'm really curious about is the player perspective.  To what degree does the circus surrounding it detract from playing the actual game?  To what degree do the massive paycheques make it worth working through that?

October 12, 2023 8:15 pm  #8

I'm a avid Leafs fan.  I quite like both the Hall & Oates "You make my dreams (come true)" Leafs goal song & the Maxine Nightingale "Right Back Where We Started From" Leafs win song. They're bouncy, happy songs with classic air.   The new "Pursuit of Happiness" goal song did nothing for me. 

Being an old rocker, I wonder if the Stones "Respectable" might work?

Just no Rap or Hip-Hop .. it just doesn't work.

October 13, 2023 4:55 pm  #9

What a bizarre choice.. especially the line about driving drunk.  Whaaaaaat?

October 13, 2023 5:21 pm  #10

Terrible song. Don't know the song or the artist. Are most of the fans familiar with the artist/song? I doubt it.  People don't know what they like...they like what they know.

October 13, 2023 10:28 pm  #11

What if it's as something as simple as it's a favorite song of the Leafs team and the guys play it in the dressing room and they suggested it.

Why the h-e-double hockey sticks it was ever chosen would make a terrific story for the right on-air personality or journalist to track down and share with fans and the general public.

It comes across as the kind of song your parents would pick if they were trying to be "cool" and "with it" in front of your friends.

Other songs that would be better: the chorus of Yin Yang from U.S.S., or Motley Crue's Live Wire and I also love the idea of a Stones song. The U.S.S. melody could even spark a crowd singalong.

With all the huge corporate money being spent on placing disinterested butts in those expensive seats plus the ginormous salaries of the top Leafs players, they should just bite the bullet and use the "Greenback Boogie" theme song from the tv show Suits and be done with it.

If you haven't seen the original video, it's an absolute trip.
https://youtu.be/Slgj96aXgQk?si=8f7OS1Iy8xaAjeKz

Last edited by betaylored (October 13, 2023 10:39 pm)

October 16, 2023 2:53 pm  #12

"Pursuit of Happiness" is history ..

Toronto used a portion of Steve Aoki's 2012 remix of Kid Cudi's "Pursuit of Happiness" in Wednesday's home opener, with the track briefly taking over from Hall & Oates' 1980s tune "You Make My Dreams (Come True)."

But that dance jam was shelved by the time the Leafs hit the ice Saturday. A spokesman said Monday the team is aware there are concerns about a portion Kid Cudi's original song — which was not used in Wednesday's goal celebration snippet — including the Cleveland-born rapper's line "Driving drunk, I'm doin' my thang."

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-mixing-up-goal-songs-after-finally-shelving-hall-oates-1.2021758