sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2023 4:34 pm  #1

Amazon Prime Video Adds Sportsnet - For A Fee

If you've ever wanted to break the cable cabal and cut the cord but didn't want to lose live local sports, there's now an alternate - Amazon's Prime Video. 

The streamer has announced it has swung a deal with Rogers' Sportsnet to add the video channel, although you'll have to pay extra for it. It will cost you $20 a month. 

"The Sportsnet Prime Video Channel will be available as an add-on channel, enabling Prime Video users to watch live NHL hockey and all of Sportsnet’s linear programming on Sportsnet national (Sportsnet, Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360) and regional (Sportsnet Pacific, West, East, Ontario) channels."

Prime Video adds Sportsnet to Canadian channel offerings

October 10, 2023 5:39 pm  #2

Re: Amazon Prime Video Adds Sportsnet - For A Fee

Worth noting you can already get a Sportsnet stream using Sportsnet+, but there are two tiers and the cheaper one - $15 a month - does not provide you with all of its programming, although you would get most Leafs and Jays games. If you want everything on the network, it's $35 a month. 

October 10, 2023 7:07 pm  #3

This doesn't sound like a great deal, considering you also don't get out of market NHL games, but you get broadcasts on demand on Sportsnet+ for $5 less compared to Sportsnet on Prime (the article states out of market NHL games will not be on Prime).

October 10, 2023 10:48 pm  #4

ED1 wrote:

This doesn't sound like a great deal, considering you also don't get out of market NHL games, but you get broadcasts on demand on Sportsnet+ for $5 less compared to Sportsnet on Prime (the article states out of market NHL games will not be on Prime).

$19.99 leaves out too many things for the sports fan.
Rogers Ignite charges $35.95 but it's more than catching out of market hockey games.
You get other sports. and
American and Canadian Time shifting is ALSO included. (A $6 value!)

SO BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!!! 

"Access up to 6,000 out-of-market games per year with MLB© Extra InningsTM, NHL© Centre IceTM, NBA League PassTM, US College Football & Basketball, OHL Action PakTM, NFL® Network, Game+ and more for ONLY $35.95/month (minimum four month commitment)"

SOURCE:  https://www.rogers.com/tv/super-sports-pak

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 10, 2023 11:16 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 11, 2023 9:30 am  #5

The Rogers Super Sports Pak was a much better deal when NFL Sunday Ticket was included.

October 11, 2023 9:30 am  #6

This would almost certainly never happen locally, given that Rogers and Bell control most of the big sports team in this city and it would hurt the value of their cable franchises, but it's an interesting retro-trend in the U.S. 

Why major sports are returning to free over-the-air TV

"If you're able to get yourself in every TV home, the value of your advertising, your on-camera signage in the arena and if you're a hockey team, virtual signage on the ice and dashboards, goes up substantially," said Lee Berke, president of LHB Sports, Entertainment & Media, who has consulted on a number of deals for teams moving to broadcast. "You want to be seen by as many fans as possible."

Ratings for live games on an over-the-air broadcast outlet are typically two to three times greater than what they pull on regional sports networks, as they have the potential to reach every home."

October 11, 2023 2:00 pm  #7

When Rogers carried Leafs TV I switched providers. I presented the cable boxes to my hubby as a Christmas present.  He looked at me like I was crazy until I told him I was giving him all of his Leafs games. I became a hockey widow - LOL.  A friend said to me that not only did I pay for the whore, but I invited it to live with us.  But that's another story.  Now that we have relocated to NS where Rogers does not operate, other than cellphone service, hubby misses more than 30% of the games due to blackout.  We have Prime, so I wonder if this might be a viable solution? 

October 11, 2023 3:02 pm  #8

You're a sweetie DaCosta .. a great gift : )) .. 

I'm in Toronto & willingly pay for both Sportsnet & TSN  ($20 SportsFan pkg on Teksavvy TV) .. I consider that an acceptable level of financial support. 

For additional blacked out/non-televised games there are other ways to view .. I don't miss any of my Leaf games when I visit relatives in PEI : ))

October 12, 2023 9:08 am  #9

g121, please do tell.

October 12, 2023 12:08 pm  #10

DaCosta wrote:

g121, please do tell.

PM sent : )) ..