sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2023 2:24 pm  #1

Happy birthday "Talk" 640

October 11, 1995 AM 640 said good bye to CHR radio (hit music) and went all talk. 
They've made some changes along the way, including a short lived, talk radio for guys, but AM 640 is still around and still talkin'.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 11, 2023 3:28 pm  #2

Re: Happy birthday "Talk" 640

And the moment has been forever captured on Dale Patterson's great Rock Radio Scrapbook page, with the final minute of CHOG before it morphs into Talk 640. Anyone remember what the last song was? You can hear it here.

This article highlights the original line-up:

October 11, 2023 6:24 pm  #3

Kingsbury seems to have had a thing about making the women talent work split shifts.

October 11, 2023 7:34 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

And the moment has been forever captured on Dale Patterson's great Rock Radio Scrapbook page, with the final minute of CHOG before it morphs into Talk 640. Anyone remember what the last song was? You can hear it here.

A rather interesting choice for a station that used to play Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

October 11, 2023 7:50 pm  #5

Paul Jeffries wrote:

A rather interesting choice for a station that used to play Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch.
PJ

I'll say.  Perfectly understandable if this had been WABC 770 ditching CHR in 1982.  A decade old gold song made sense, but in 1995?  I actually heard the likes of Brownstone, Whigfield and Andru Donalds on 640 before CHR bit the dust there.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 11, 2023 7:56 pm  #6

Jody Thornton wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

I'll say.  Perfectly understandable if this had been WABC 770 ditching CHR in 1982.  A decade old gold song made sense, but in 1995?  I actually heard the likes of Brownstone, Whigfield and Andru Donalds on 640 before CHR bit the dust there.

If they were trying to blow out their music fans, that probably did the trick! 

PJ

October 11, 2023 8:05 pm  #7

I think they used it solely because of the lyric "This'll be the day that I die," which is repeated throughout and is the last line of the song. It was the day the music died on AM and I believe that was the rather obscure point of it being the final tune and the final lyrics heard on CHOG. But if that was the point, as I suspect, it was pretty subtle and probably lost on most of whatever remained of their listeners. 

October 11, 2023 8:14 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I think they used it solely because of the lyric "This'll be the day that I die," which is repeated throughout and is the last line of the song. It was the day the music died on AM and I believe that was the rather obscure point of it being the final tune and the final lyrics heard on CHOG. But if that was the point, as I suspect, it was pretty subtle and probably lost on most of whatever remained of their listeners. 

If they had changed formats five years later, they could've used the Madonna version.

PJ

October 11, 2023 9:18 pm  #9

I listened to AM640 when they plated music.  Jesse & Gene in the morning until 9, then talk until noon (The Midday Meltdown: the top 12 at 12) then more talk at 1 until Tarzan Dan came on at 3.  Then in '95 the talk portion was expanded by an hour and Dan didn't come on until 4.  I listened on my Walkman while I delivered newspapers.  When I was told AM640 was going all talk I recorded as much as I could including Tarzan Dan's final hour of his last show.  I messaged him and told him that a few months ago.  He told me even HE doesn't have his last show on tape. 

I hope to soon digitize them from cassette tape: in all their crackly squealing AM glory.

October 11, 2023 9:45 pm  #10

Rumor had it that AM 640 was planning on going all-news a couple of years before but CFTR beat them to the punch. Given that the announcer labelled them as "AM 640 - The news beat of Toronto" at the end of this 1993 promo, that seemed legit.

PJ

October 11, 2023 10:14 pm  #11

This article would suggest it wasn't a rumour.

Once the deed was done, an out-foxed 640 actually made use of what was now 680 News. (Although I dispute the claim that it was the first time one local station advertised on another in North America, as the story claims. I well recall when WCFL abandoned Top 40 in 1978, WLS took out ads on the station telling listeners where they could still find the hits.)