sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2023 10:26 am  #31

Re: Local Radio Stations That Don't Exist Anymore

mic'em wrote:

Bomanvillebob, do any of the AM stations in Halifax still exist or have they all jumped to FM ? I worked the overnight shift at CHNS in the summer into fall of 1976 while also attending the broadcasting college [ name escapes me ] that was in the basement of the Scotia Square building. I was there under a Canada Manpower/ UI program. 

Not that I can see right now. Maritime Broadcast System still operates a few AMs in places like Windsor and Middleton, as well as a heritage AM in Sydney on Cape Breton, but pretty much the whole radio dial in Halifax is now all on FM.

October 9, 2023 10:46 am  #32

mic'em wrote:

Bomanvillebob, do any of the AM stations in Halifax still exist or have they all jumped to FM ? I worked the overnight shift at CHNS in the summer into fall of 1976 while also attending the broadcasting college [ name escapes me ] that was in the basement of the Scotia Square building. I was there under a Canada Manpower/ UI program. 

My understanding is that for quite some time now, the entire province of Nova Scotia was devoid of any AM signals.  All stations are FM.  It will be interesting if B-Bob confirms otherwise.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 9, 2023 11:01 am  #33

Check out the following:

https://cjcbradio.com/ - Sydney

I believe the MBS stations in the Annapolis Valley have some AM repeaters for places like Middleton and Windsor, but they mostly just simulcast the Kentville AVR signal.

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (October 9, 2023 11:03 am)

October 9, 2023 12:22 pm  #34

RadioActive wrote:

DOPEfm wrote:

NW wrote:

What about 1610-CHEV ?

I'm originally from Markham. I remember this station.

They stopped transmitting on AM in 2004.

Totally ceased operations in 2011.

To me, this is the oddest radio station that's ever been on the air in the GTA. I'm not sure how many people were even aware of its existence. Not only was it on the so-called "X band" before it even had that name, it's the only radio station I've ever heard of that was only on at certain hours of the day. It wasn't 24 hours, it wasn't even daytime only.

It came on only when there was some kind of "event" to cover, like a local fair or a minor league hockey game. Once the game was over, the station signed off. And it didn't matter whether it was 4 PM or 11 PM. I have to say, I wasn't even aware you could get a licence just to broadcast "special events." It's not surprising it didn't work or most people weren't even aware of its existence.

Has anyone ever heard of another station like this any other place in Canada? I find it extraordinary that anyone thought this would work in such a big city. 

And by the way, those call letters still exist. CHEV-FM is a low power local community station at 94.5 FM in Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland and goes by the moniker "Valley Radio." It never really uses its call letters. 

I recall that during the Canada Games in London Ontario, (several years ago) there was a temporary FM signal in place to broadcast the events. Don't recall the frequency, power or range of the signal. I believe one of the local broadcasters may have set this up. Anyone else remember this or can provide additional information?

October 9, 2023 2:43 pm  #35

I remember it. It was by Corus. I don't recall the frequency, but it was at the lower end of the FM band. I never knew it's power but here in East London where we live the signal was good. I believe their antenna was atop one of the office towers downtown.

Also I recall about twenty years ago, a Cemetary and crematorium in east London had a temporary FM transmitter to promote their business.

Last edited by turkeytop (October 9, 2023 2:45 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 9, 2023 3:01 pm  #36

turkeytop wrote:

Also I recall about twenty years ago, a Cemetary and crematorium in east London had a temporary FM transmitter to promote their business.

Wow. Talk about dead air...

October 9, 2023 3:22 pm  #37

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

Check out the following:

https://cjcbradio.com/ - Sydney

I believe the MBS stations in the Annapolis Valley have some AM repeaters for places like Middleton and Windsor, but they mostly just simulcast the Kentville AVR signal.

CBC is still available on AM in Cape Breton (CBI 1110), last I checked. Simulcast on FM 92.1 as a “nested” transmitter in Sydney, not unlike the arrangement in some Western Canadian cities.

October 10, 2023 8:01 am  #38

I had the distinction of working at CHNR , CHEX, CHAM and, technically, CKSL (when we shared newscasts while I was at CHAM). That's quite a scorched earth resume.

October 10, 2023 11:58 am  #39

darcyh wrote:

CKCB AM (I think it was 1400 khz) Collingwood was an affiliate to CKBB Barrie it morphed into a FM outlet.

1490 CFPS Port Elgin started as a rebroadcaster of CFOS 560 Owen Sound. It was part of an interesting move. In the early 1970's CHYM 1490 Kitchener moved to 570 (now CKGL) which opened up 1490 for CFPS. And I think CFOS also got a power increase to offset the potential adjacent channel noise from CHYM. Eventually CFPS moved to the FM dial and is a separate station. It might have a rebroadcaster in Tobermory.

Perhaps paterson1 may comment with more detail.

Sorry darcyh, I didn't really read this thread until this morning.

Yes CFPS moved to FM at 97.9 and became it's own station in February 2005.  It had been a semi satellite of CFOS Owen Sound since June 1978. The new FM signed on as 98 The Beach with an adult contemporary/classic hits format.

In July 2020 CFPS owners, Bayshore Broadcasting received permission for a rebroadcaster in Tobermory at 91.9.

May 2021 CFPS flipped the format to Active Rock/Alternative and became known as The Bruce with the slogan Respect The Rock.

January 2023 two new frequencies were broadcasting from Tobermory.  91.9 which was a rebroadcaster of The Bruce in Port Elgin and 104.3 Tobermory's Information Station which is also managed by Bayshore Broadcasting in cooperation with the Municipality of Northern Bruce County.

There are plans that 91.9 will eventually have some separate programming from CFPS.
https://www.rockthebruce.ca/2023/01/10/bayshore-broadcasting-signal-tests-two-new-radio-stations-in-northern-bruce-peninsula/

October 10, 2023 12:49 pm  #40

paterson1 wrote:

darcyh wrote:

CKCB AM (I think it was 1400 khz) Collingwood was an affiliate to CKBB Barrie it morphed into a FM outlet.

1490 CFPS Port Elgin started as a rebroadcaster of CFOS 560 Owen Sound. It was part of an interesting move. In the early 1970's CHYM 1490 Kitchener moved to 570 (now CKGL) which opened up 1490 for CFPS. And I think CFOS also got a power increase to offset the potential adjacent channel noise from CHYM. Eventually CFPS moved to the FM dial and is a separate station. It might have a rebroadcaster in Tobermory.

Yes CFPS moved to FM at 97.9 and became it's own station in February 2005.  It had been a semi satellite of CFOS Owen Sound since June 1978. The new FM signed on as 98 The Beach with an adult contemporary/classic hits format.

In July 2020 CFPS owners, Bayshore Broadcasting received permission for a rebroadcaster in Tobermory at 91.9.

May 2021 CFPS flipped the format to Active Rock/Alternative and became known as The Bruce with the slogan Respect The Rock.

January 2023 two new frequencies were broadcasting from Tobermory.  91.9 which was a rebroadcaster of The Bruce in Port Elgin and 104.3 Tobermory's Information Station which is also managed by Bayshore Broadcasting in cooperation with the Municipality of Northern Bruce County.

There are plans that 91.9 will eventually have some separate programming from CFPS.
https://www.rockthebruce.ca/2023/01/10/bayshore-broadcasting-signal-tests-two-new-radio-stations-in-northern-bruce-peninsula/

The way they were...

October 10, 2023 1:13 pm  #41

Did anyone mention CKLN 88.1 - Ryerson's station that was revoked?
CKRG - Radio Glendon was a lower power fm station on 89.9 - I don't recall ever picking it up.
CKAV-FM - 106.5 - Aboriginal Voices Radio - licence revoked
CJVF 102.7 - Licence Revoked.
Apparently there was CFCA on 770 Khz, but that would have been nearly 100 years ago.

October 10, 2023 1:22 pm  #42

tvguy wrote:

Apparently there was CFCA on 770 Khz, but that would have been nearly 100 years ago.

CFCA was owned and operated by the Toronto Star and I always wondered if they should have kept it going. 

Hammond Museum Of Radio: CFCA

October 12, 2023 1:03 pm  #43

Jody Thornton wrote:

I got my feet wet at CIAM 960 in Cambridge (I think it originally was CFTJ).  When I worked there, Power Broadcasting ran a dayparted CHR/AC hybrid on it.  When they moved to FM, they were the Zone@92.9, but eventually became modern-day Dave FM.

If I recall correctly, I think the 107.5 licence was applied for as a NEW licence rather than a frequency change for 92.9. The agreement being, if granted the signal at 107.5, they would surrender the 92.9 licence. I'm not sure why it was done this way but that's what I remember.

I was a big 92.9 listener and I don't recall hearing anything mentioned on the air prior to Dave-FM signing on. Listeners woke up one morning and 92.9 was gone.

October 13, 2023 12:15 pm  #44

paterson1 wrote:

darcyh wrote:

The CFPS 1490 signal was interesting too. We had a cottage at Sauble Beach and could never receive a strong signal from the Port Elgin transmitter which was only about 12 miles away. I think CFPS was operating with 1000 watts @ 1490 khz. The station did not carry very far perhaps by design.

October 13, 2023 12:56 pm  #45

1490 is one of those frequencies designated as "local" (as opposed to "regional" like 960 or "clear" like 890 or 740.)

That means it has very poor propagation over a wide area and low power by design. Some of the others are 1230, 1240, 1340 and 1450 on the AM band. I'm not entirely sure how these dial positions were decided on way back when, and maybe someone here knows. But they are generally the same all over North America. 

October 13, 2023 1:23 pm  #46

RadioActive wrote:

1490 is one of those frequencies designated as "local" (as opposed to "regional" like 960 or "clear" like 890 or 740.)

That means it has very poor propagation over a wide area and low power by design. Some of the others are 1230, 1240, 1340 and 1450 on the AM band. I'm not entirely sure how these dial positions were decided on way back when, and maybe someone here knows. But they are generally the same all over North America. 

Years ago, I lived in Waterloo when CHYM was on 1490. At night the signal would get lost about 10 miles out of town.

October 13, 2023 1:27 pm  #47

To me, the worst one of the bunch was always 1450, which was a lost cause in Toronto when it came to the old CHUC in Cobourg. I'm not sure how stations saddled with any of those dial positions survive, although WECK at 1230 in Cheektowaga near Buffalo is a perfect example of how it can be done - get a few FM repeaters and people will be able to hear you a lot better, especially at night. 

October 13, 2023 5:38 pm  #48

Those six "local" frequencies are more commonly known to DXer's as graveyarders.

October 13, 2023 5:39 pm  #49

Yep. Next to getting something under 860, they're some of the hardest stations to pull in, let alone ID. 

October 13, 2023 5:43 pm  #50

RadioActive wrote:

CHWO in Oakville was at 1250 and CJMR Mississauga was daytime on 1190 (but from the CHWO site)...  so would these frequencies also be considered "local" or would they be "regional" ?

October 13, 2023 11:13 pm  #51

Glen Warren wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

CHWO in Oakville was at 1250 and CJMR Mississauga was daytime on 1190 (but from the CHWO site)...  so would these frequencies also be considered "local" or would they be "regional" ?
1250 is a "regional" frequency. 1190 is a "clear channel" When CJMR was on 1190, it was a daytimer to protect WOWO at night. Now that WOWO's nighttime signal is down to 9800 watts, after the station was purchased by the owners of WLIB in New York, KEX Portland is the only 50KW station on that frequency.

October 14, 2023 3:02 am  #52

RadioActive wrote:

WECK at 1230 in Cheektowaga near Buffalo is a perfect example of how it can be done - get a few FM repeaters and people will be able to hear you a lot better, especially at night. 

WECK is actually very smart. They're not flipping any of their frequencies to anything different.
Instead, they've created a WECK 2 on Live 365:  https://live365.com/station/BIG-WECK2-a70729

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 15, 2023 5:36 pm  #53

April 1976 my first radio news job at CHIC/CFNY FM Radio, 2 Ellen Street, Brampton.  Was recommended for this position by David Spencer, then Broadcasting Instructor, Humber College. Was warned that Harry Allen was somewhat eccentric and just take it in stride. 

October 15, 2023 6:38 pm  #54

Keithscribe wrote:

April 1976 .... Was warned that Harry Allen was somewhat eccentric and just take it in stride. 

Did he ask you to repaint the parking stall lines with yellow paint?  

October 15, 2023 9:30 pm  #55

A friend worked nights at CHIC in the late 60s. The guys there had an arrangement with a local pizza shop whereby, if they mentioned the name of the shop on air, the shop would send over a pizza for them.

Of course they couldn't be too blatant with it. They had to be creative. They would somehow work it into the newscast.

"An accident on Queen St, about three miles from (name of shop.)