sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2023 10:27 pm  #1

How Would You Pronownse This?

Was listening to 680 City News around 1 p.m. when their traffic reporter - I think it was Maria Pardo - mentioned a traffic problem in the London area - near Putnam Road.

Putnam Road

Pretty straight forward no? I would say there's no room to come up with something other than what it is

Putnam Road

But the listeners were told the problem was on Pootnam Road not Putnam.

Not sure how this could be mispronounced but I'm all ears

Perhaps Jody T  can comment on this because I am miffed

Last edited by unclefester (October 9, 2023 6:38 am)

October 7, 2023 11:10 pm  #2

Re: How Would You Pronownse This?

It's "PUTT-num", Maria, you friggin' Rogers dumbass. You did not pronounce the name correctly. You must really be as dumb and brainless as you sound. If you don't know how to correctly pronounce a name, don't guess, or worse, butcher the name on-air. How about you take the time to pick up the phone and CALL SOMEONE IN PUTNAM AND ASK THEM HOW TO CORRECTLY PRONOUNCE THE GODDAMN NAME!!!!!!

If I were your PD, I would have fired you on the spot for butchering the pronunciation of a name. People like you DO NOT deserve to be on the air.

October 7, 2023 11:19 pm  #3

I didn't know 680 did traffic reports for London now. Strange since London has no local shows on the weekends on 980 they air oldies or rebrodcasts of local shows from this past week.

October 7, 2023 11:52 pm  #4

They usually cover traffic problems from anywhere on 401.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 8, 2023 12:24 am  #5

Forward Power wrote:

It's "PUTT-num", Maria, you friggin' Rogers dumbass. You did not pronounce the name correctly. You must really be as dumb and brainless as you sound. If you don't know how to correctly pronounce a name, don't guess, or worse, butcher the name on-air. How about you take the time to pick up the phone and CALL SOMEONE IN PUTNAM AND ASK THEM HOW TO CORRECTLY PRONOUNCE THE GODDAMN NAME!!!!!!

If I were your PD, I would have fired you on the spot for butchering the pronunciation of a name. People like you DO NOT deserve to be on the air.

Never has a single post epitomized this message board better than this one.  

October 8, 2023 9:20 am  #6

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I was going to say something to this effect.  Sure it's true: radio has gone down the shitter, the product has almost degraded to worthlessness and and there are more younger people on-air now, mispronouncing things ... HOWEVER !!!!

Forward Power: to call Maria Pardo what you did is just downright insulting and nasty.  First off, how many times have folks on the board mentioned the lack of mentoring going on in the business?  Given that, doesn't her employer at least deserve part of the blame here?  Just singling her out and calling her a rather horrid name (oh wait, I re-read ... you called her three names) just makes me shake my head.

But it does say something about the character of the board.  We've become the Grumpy, We Wish Radio was the Way It Was" board.  Anything that deviates from that way makes readers here grumpy, because we rarely talk about current and emerging radio, unless we're angry with pronunciations or technical failures.  I miss what radio was too.  That's why I left it.  But those things we loved about the buisness are never coming back.  Time we stop comparing to Gord Sinclair and the like because it's a new business for better or worse.

However, Maria did not deserve the treatment she received on this board.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 8, 2023 9:41 am  #7

Unlike some here who drip arrogance, bitterness & feigned know-it-all superiority, kudos to Jody for being sane, rational & reasonable. 

October 8, 2023 12:30 pm  #8

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Forward Power wrote:

Hopefully, the poster was being somewhat facetious.

October 8, 2023 12:46 pm  #9

Jody Thornton wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

But it does say something about the character of the board.  We've become the Grumpy, We Wish Radio was the Way It Was" board.  Anything that deviates from that way makes readers here grumpy, because we rarely talk about current and emerging radio, unless we're angry with pronunciations or technical failures.  I miss what radio was too.  That's why I left it.  But those things we loved about the buisness are never coming back.  Time we stop comparing to Gord Sinclair and the like because it's a new business for better or worse.

Sums up my feelings exactly. I'm the grumpy old man who longs for radio the way it was 40 years ago.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 8, 2023 4:57 pm  #10

Perhaps some liquid bravado created said rant.  But , still to call out  a person by name under the cloak of anonymity does seem unfair. 

October 8, 2023 6:40 pm  #11

I'm pretty sure that nowadays any boss that used that kind of language on one of their employees would see their ass out the door pretty quickly, too.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

October 8, 2023 9:54 pm  #12

Maybe she was thinking of Vladimir Putin (POO-tin)
By the way in Russian Putin is pronounced like poo-teen which sounds like our delicious french fries and cheese curds putine.
But Putin really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

October 9, 2023 8:35 am  #13

Thank you Jody

October 9, 2023 8:48 am  #14

Growing up in that area, I unequivocally support the name Putt-nam.

October 9, 2023 9:01 am  #15

I would have to agree that the outburst against a mispronunciation and the person who did it was totally over the line. I was unavoidably offline most of the weekend and didn't see it, or I might well have deleted it. But since it's inspired so much discussion, the choice is either to nuke the entire thread or let it go. For now, I'm letting it go. 

I believe in free speech. So feel free to point out silly radio mistakes. I've done it myself. But please, keep the excess vitriol and personal attacks out of it. I will say the poster has been very good in the past and often makes some valid points here. So I'm not entirely sure what set him off in this case. 

But this is exactly what I mean when I say what the rules of the board state: It's OK to disagree, it's not OK to be disagreeable. This definitely crossed that line. Hopefully, there won't be a repeat.

October 11, 2023 9:59 am  #16

Watching the BBC coverage of the Israel-Gaza war this morning. What I noticed was how easy the names of the many area cities and towns easily rolled off the tongues of the various news presenters. The BBC has always paid strict attention to detail. I am sure the correct pronunciation of words is given high priority. It certainly shows in their broadcasts.