sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2023 8:45 pm  #1

Back In The Day When Colour TV Was Still New

When I was a kid, the only thing I ever bugged my dad about was getting a colour TV. That's what I wanted more than any toy, a pet or even a bike - or all the usual petty things a young child might ask for. But he always said they were too expensive, so we were stuck with that old black and white Admiral for way too many years. 

And then one day, he broke down (along with some of the prices) and bought one at Eaton's. It was another Admiral and while I was overjoyed to finally see Star Trek in colour, I was too neurotic to stop trying to adjust the tint to get the flesh tones right, driving my family crazy! I don't think I ever did get it properly adjusted (one reason why I'm probably not properly adjusted to this day!) but thank God you don't really have to fool around with that anymore!

The other thing I remember about those early days was the special intro the U.S. networks had whenever they brought you a show in colour. Everyone remembers the NBC Peacock, which is still their symbol today.  But how many recall the CBS and ABC logos?

The CBC may have been late to the game, but when the CRTC finally allowed colour TV in Canada, they came up with a pretty neat version of their own. I thought CTV had one, as well, and I found it - but I don't really recall it for some reason. Even PBS had one, although I seem to recall it followed the show rather than preceded it. 

You can see them all of them in the videos below. While NBC's is iconic, I kind of like the other ones, too. The proof of their existence is there in, um, black and white!

September 28, 2023 9:23 pm  #2

Re: Back In The Day When Colour TV Was Still New

The first time I ever saw colour TV was at a friend's house in Guelph. This was before there was colour broadcasting in Canada but they were picking up one of the US channels. I was a little disappointed. The colour didn't look very convincing. It reminded me of the colours in comic books.

It was years before I ever saw colour TV again. When colour TV came to Canada we got our first set, a Sanyo, from Woolco. I was astounded by the brilliance of the colour. The technology had come a long way in a few years.

Last edited by turkeytop (September 28, 2023 9:24 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 28, 2023 9:54 pm  #3

Even local stations had their own colour intros... here's one example from Montreal's CTV outlet, CFCF 12.

September 28, 2023 10:14 pm  #4

I remember all three of the Amnet intros. ABC & CBS discontinued theirs around 1970 but NBC was using its intro until 1976 when they brought in the ill-advised, ill-fated 'N'. And while they used it on the Tonight Show, it wasn't used on the first SNLs, save for the Star Trek cancellation sketch (which is on YouTube.)

I also remember the CBC and CTV intros running well into the 70s. CBC stopped theirs around 1974 when they brought in the original exploding 'C'.

I remember finding the CHCH Ultra colour intro in their archives - but it was silent! Audio was run off a cart instead of from the film.

And for once, the CRTC isn't to blame for the delayed introduction of colour. That one's on its predecessor, the BBG. CFTO actually bought some of the earliest models from RCA when it built the Agincourt studio. And according to articles from that era, CFPL London was prepared to put colour on the air with 90 minutes' notice. But the BBG apparently decided that wasn't fair to the other stations - especially those in small markets that were still trying to pay for their original gear! So colour wasn't official launched here until 1966 - coincidentally, the same year all the Amnets ramped up their colo(u)r programming.

September 28, 2023 10:18 pm  #5

CFTO had a jingle summer/fall of 1966 promoting their fall season programming and new shows.  Wish I could find it somewhere.  "Where the colour will excite you, and the black and white delight you, on CFTO Channel 9."  It was a pretty catchy jingle and a bit of an earworm.  Wonder if Retrontario has any of the promos somewhere. 

I remember all of the network colour idents from above.  NBC is the best known simply because both ABC and CBS didn't really run much in colour until the 1966/67 season.  Even in the 65/66 season CBS and ABC still had a lot of black and white and NBC had been mostly colour for years.  Interesting that CTV, CBS and ABC still have more or less the same logo today. 

September 29, 2023 12:27 am  #6

In the early days, they used to announce at the beginning of  a program that it was "In living colour."

September 29, 2023 8:44 am  #7

The Peacock shown above was introduced for the first time during the 1962-63 premiere of the western series Laramie. It became known as the "Laramie" Peacock. The original was developed in 1957. It's sole purpose was to introduce colour programming. The Peacock did not become part of NBC's main logo until 1979 and did not become the network's sole logo until 1987. Up until 1975 the "Snake" was the logo with the "N" and "B"  joined together and the "C" joined under the other two letters. The "Chimes" played while it was on screen.

September 29, 2023 9:58 am  #8

My dad took me downtown to the downtown Eatons store late that summer of '66 to see the display of colour TVs they were selling, and CFTO provided the source of the signal fed to the display models. The shows themselves were what Channel 9 was going to air as part of their new fall lineup, including Star Trek showing, highlights from what would end up being the series third episode -" Where No Man Has Gone Before". That episode being chosen by CFTO, I have to think now, because its title may have been thought to intrigue and entice new colour TV buyers into actually spending their money.

Our family already owned a colour TV - an Electrohome. My dad liked to buy 'Canadian'. We were already watching Bonanza and Hogan's Heroes in colour, and on rare occasion, if they had not already gone home, my dad's friends would stay and watch as well.

September 29, 2023 10:07 am  #9

My first real exposure to colour TV - outside of a store - happened when our B&W television broke down, leaving a family of six with no TV - a disaster for two parents with four young kids! 

Fortunately, a neighbour two doors down was a career TV repairman - remember when that was a job? -  and loaned us a very small portable while our old one was "back at the shop" being fixed. It was a tiny screen - but it was colour! You can imagine the competition between my siblings and I, each one trying to get to watch our favourite show in living colour! (For some reason, watching Red Skelton is one of the programs I recall seeing on that set.) 

It was amazing and because the screen was so small, the colour picture was incredible. I'll never be sure if that was the catalyst that finally convinced my father to buy a real honest-to-goodness 20" colour TV, but we got one soon after. And all because that old black & white broke down and a neighbour came to the rescue!

September 29, 2023 10:12 am  #10

The first colour program I saw was at a neighbour's home in 1966.  Daktari was a program set in the jungle and I remember the colour being vivid but not that natural.  The lions all looked bright orange.  The neighbours had a beautiful big wood cabinet stereo with the TV in the middle.

When our family bought a colour set in 1971 it was a Sony Trinitron 19 inch model.  CFPL in London had the clearest and most natural colour of all the stations we received,  even their local programs.  With channel 10 seemed like you never had to adjust the picture.  CHCH also had sharp colour.

September 29, 2023 11:54 am  #11

I just remembered this, but even though there's no evidence of it I can find of the web, I'm positive I remember it.

Before colour TV was allowed in Canada, the CBC used to use a logo almost as a kind of satire on what all the American networks were doing. Because all their shows were in black and white, they would show an animated cartoon penguin (also in black and white) opening its flippers, before announcing something like "CBC presents this program in black and white."

I thought it was odd but hilarious. 

September 29, 2023 12:21 pm  #12

I think it was from the opening of a Wayne & Shuster program prior to them going colour.  I seem to remember seeing a picture or the animation somewhere. But like you, can't find it anywhere. 

September 29, 2023 12:40 pm  #13

We didn't get our first colour TV until a few years after it came to Canada. All programs were in colour. During the transition, was there a period when there were both colour programs and B&W programs?

September 29, 2023 1:04 pm  #14

It certainly seems odd that it took a government OK to bring colour TV to Canada, but that's what happened, as this article from Feb. 1967 indicates. I wonder how they picked the stations that were allowed to "broadcast color-tape programs?" Does that mean only a select few were able to do everything in colour, while the rest were restricted to "non-live" programming? What a weird rule.

Of course, those who couldn't wait could have always opted for this "solution" back in 1964:

September 29, 2023 1:53 pm  #15

The CTV, CBS and ABC intros all utilized the red, green and blue primary colours.  If your tint control needed to be adjusted, it was readily evident.
The bureaucracy around authorizing colour transmission was lunacy....having to specify live versus tape! They don't mention telecine film, which is what a lot of stations used. Original VTRs were monochrome, and some could be updated by adding outboard equipment. 
Testing was supposed to start at midnight on July 1st 1966.  CKSO in Sudbury started their late movie in colour, a few minutes before midnight, and got fined......the princely sum of $25.  But they were first.

September 29, 2023 2:15 pm  #16

Think I posted this info many years ago.  We were married in 1963 and bought a brand new television during the first six months (black and white)  Found out that Channel 7 in Watertown was going to  start with colour programs that fall.   Headed out and bought a 26"  round screen RCA colour tv.  It was installed and a new antenna put up at our rental apartment.  Invited a number of people from the radio station to watch the first colour show on CBS at 8 o'clock.   It came on but in gorgeous black and white.  I had forgotten to turn up the colour button.  We were lucky to see one colour show each day.  Incidently it was the second colour television sold in Smiths Falls..the first went to the owner of the coke bottler.  At the time I was working at CJET Radio.  A long time ago and the attraction of all the bells and whistles  on a television remains to this day.   The colour tv in a metal cabinet cost.$619.

September 29, 2023 3:17 pm  #17

turkeytop wrote:

We didn't get our first colour TV until a few years after it came to Canada. All programs were in colour. During the transition, was there a period when there were both colour programs and B&W programs?

On YouTube I’ve seen a mixture within the same program during that period, on both sides of the border. There’s a clip on YouTube of CKVR’s year in review from 1976, which itself was broadcast in colour, but some of the news film presented from that year was in black and white.

There’s also a 1968 newscast from KFMB in San Diego on YouTube where it’s a mix of colour and B&W. The newscast happens to include a long-form interview with John Diefenbaker who was visiting San Diego that day; the report was done on B&W film. There’s another report about the opening of a new highway across the border in Mexico, but it used colour film. Additionally there’s a 1975 newscast from WXYZ Detroit where there’s one report done on tape in B&W.

September 29, 2023 3:38 pm  #18

MJ Vancouver wrote:

On YouTube I’ve seen a mixture within the same program during that period, on both sides of the border. There’s a clip on YouTube of CKVR’s year in review from 1976, which itself was broadcast in colour, but some of the news film presented from that year was in black and white.

CHEX in Peterborough was also still shooting news footage on B&W film into the late 1970s, but unlike CKVR, which used 16mm colour film as late as 1984, CHEX's news department skipped colour film and went straight to 3/4" colour videotape. It was around '84 that 'VR adopted Sony's Betacam cameras and VTRs for ENG/EFP.

September 29, 2023 3:51 pm  #19

I clearly remember when Hockey Night in Canada began in colour.  Well most of it.  The intermissions. replays and press box shots were still black and white.  I assume it was a case of equipment shortages.  The same type of thing occurred when HNIC went HD.  Everything was high definition except the net cam.  Again, I believe it was tough to get that type of equipment.

September 29, 2023 4:10 pm  #20

By January 1966, NBC's primetime schedule was in colour except for Convoy and I Dream of Jeannie. The CBS primetime schedule  was 51% colour, ABC 49%. NBC became the first all colour network on November 7, 1966 when the game show Concentration switched from black & white.

September 29, 2023 4:25 pm  #21

NBC had a vested interest in promoting colour, because owner RCA made millions of TV sets. It also won the war with CBS over colour in the early 50s, when both had systems of their own they wanted adopted in the U.S. CBS' involved a "colour wheel" which some say was superior, but it would have obsoleted every set in the country. 

The FCC chose NBC's "compatible colour" because those who couldn't afford colour sets could still watch it.

Here's an example of the CBS Colour Wheel system from a test in the 50s.

September 29, 2023 5:28 pm  #22

NBC had more colour programming much earlier than anyone else because parent company RCA was having trouble selling any colour TV's.  Even in the early to mid 60's colour penetration was still stuck in the single digits in the US and this could also be why CBS and ABC moved into colour at a much more leisurely pace.  CBS was the number one network with a largely B&W prime time until 1966/67.

The big thing against colour was the price.  The TV's were too expensive and since a lot of shows were still in B&W  people were not buying them.  But that all changed around 1966/67.

Canada's Electrohome started to make and market colour TV's heavily in 1965, getting ready for CBC, CTV, CHCH and larger local channels that would be broadcasting in colour in the fall of 1966.

I remember reading in a marketing magazine that claimed in the mid 60's to early 70's,  Electrohome had half the colour TV sales in Canada.  Eaton Viking and Sears Kenmore TV brands were usually made by the Kitchener company.  However this would change by the mid 70's when Japanese sets started to take over here and in the US.