sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2023 10:28 am  #1

Zelda Young

It is with profound sadness that early on the  morning of the 27th of September 2023, Zelda Young passed away after a long, courageous battle.

Her Legacy for the Jewish Hour and Zelda show will live on and all her contributions to the Jewish community.

For more than 30 years, the Jewish program on CHIN Radio has attracted listeners of every age, religion, sex and nationality.  Producer & Host Zelda Young continues on her father's Sam Yuchtman legacy by providing listeners with a variety show featuring various guest interviews, news from Israel, World news, health as well as topical news.

https://steelesmemorialchapel.com/condolence/zelda-young/

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 28, 2023 10:35 am  #2

Re: Zelda Young

I'm sorry to hear this. Although I often had issues with some of her shows, I appreciated her passion for it. 

I got my start in radio as a trainee operator at CHIN way back in 1974 and it's where I first learned how to op a board, coming in every weekend to work for free. Incredibly, she and her dad were there even then and I remember her very well. 

It's amazing that she was still on all these years later. That will never get the attention of a Roger Ashby in terms of longevity, but that is one amazing run. 

September 28, 2023 12:24 pm  #3

How recently had she hosted her show? It's still listed on CHIN's schedule.

September 28, 2023 12:45 pm  #4

I tuned in this morning just to see how they were filling the air time. There was no announcement about her passing, just a short, one sentence pre-recorded intro from her producer, a guy named Martin, who said he would be back tomorrow. That was followed by an hour of uninterrupted music. 

I realized the reason he wasn't there was because at that exact moment, he was at her funeral. 

I occasionally tune in to hear this show, because I like to keep track of what stations are doing. For several weeks or even months, Zelda Young had been hosting the show over the phone, which I thought was very odd. But no explanation was ever given. She did come back into the studio for a bit after that, then disappeared again, with her producer taking over, again with no word as to why. 

I guess we now know. 

What happens next is anyone's guess. She inherited, if that's the word, her show from her dad after he passed away. But she had no children and only nieces and nephews, so I have no idea who or if anyone will be left to take it over and keep it going.

She did a one hour program at 11 AM Monday-Friday on 91.9 FM in Toronto and a two-hour Sunday morning show, which is simulcast on both 1540 here and on CHIN's FM counterpart in Ottawa. So there could be some big holes in their schedule that they will have to fill pretty quickly if the show does not continue in some form. 

September 28, 2023 8:58 pm  #5

Hansa wrote:

How recently had she hosted her show? It's still listed on CHIN's schedule.

I recall hearing her as late as last week.

September 29, 2023 7:10 am  #6

I can't say I was a fan - but you have to give her credit for doing her show throughout her illness.

Last edited by Hansa (September 29, 2023 8:49 am)

September 29, 2023 11:08 am  #7

I'm listening to the show right now. They changed the opening music and then Martin introduced the show explaining that Zelda is no longer with us - and then they ran a tape introducing the news - a prerecorded intro read by Zelda in the name of the sponsor - Steeles Memorial Chapel - which happens to be where her service was held yesterday. It was somewhat surreal.

September 29, 2023 11:36 am  #8

They also will have to get a new opening. It was recorded by Harvey Atkin and was used on the show for ages, ending in "Here's Zelda." Atkin died several years ago, so there's no way for him to record a new one. 

It sounds like Martin (I believe his last name is Abels, or something similar) is going to try and keep the show going, but he has never been very comfortable on air and he's not a great interviewer so I wonder if they'll be able to carry on. Plus, it sounds like most of the stuff they're doing is rerolls. 

As for the spot being read by Zelda, using the voice of dead people is not unusual for this show. For years, they used the voice of Carl Redhead to introduce one of their sponsored segments. He passed away decades ago.  

Last edited by RadioActive (September 29, 2023 11:50 am)

October 2, 2023 8:05 am  #9

I'm curious who actually owns the show now. I always assumed that rather than being a CHIN production, it was a brokered show and Zelda bought the time from CHIN and sold segments to her various sponsors. Perhaps with the segments being pre-sold for months at a time CHIN feels an obligation to see out the contracts in order to avoid demands for refunds - or perhaps Martin "owns" the show now? Or maybe it is actually a CHIN production and Martin is the employee tasked with keeping the show running? Does anyone know?

I listened to the show on Friday - I was expecting more of a tribute to Zelda with "best of" clips but while the guests all expressed their condolences it was pretty much an ordinary show. I didn't listen to the Sunday show, perhaps that was more of a tribute.

One interesting thing gleaned from Martin's comments about the death of US Senator Dianne Fienstein is that Martin is far more liberal (or at least centrist) than Zelda. This may mean less of a headache for CHIN - who faced CBSC complaints due to extremist and frankly racist comments by some of Zelda's guests - but not sure how it'll play with the show's audience which, if they hadn't tuned out due to Zelda's Trumpist or pro-Nethanyahu comments likely skew hard right.

Last edited by Hansa (October 2, 2023 12:38 pm)

October 2, 2023 8:14 am  #10

I don't know how it works now, but 50 years ago when I was there, it was paid time. You bought an hour (or more) on the station and then you were free to go out and sell as much ad time as you could. I can't see how that's changed being their original business model.

As for who owns it, I guess if Martin wants to pay the freight and get the advertisers, CHIN would likely be happy to see it continue.