sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2023 6:10 am  #1

No news

Newstalk 1010

No news 5:00 am or 6:00 am today

Cackling hens podcast started 4:57
John Moore chats started 5:57

September 24, 2023 8:26 am  #2

Re: No news

Calhame wrote:

Newstalk 1010

At this point, maybe they should just drop the 'News' part of their name.  Sad decline.

September 24, 2023 9:04 am  #3

I actually wonder if this was a computer glitch. They use the Canadian Press to fill in for when they don't have an actual local newscaster. So there's no reason for it not to air, unless somehow the software failed to register the hourly cast and it simply started the next show so there wouldn't be dead air. 

But in this case, no news isn't good news. 

September 27, 2023 8:09 am  #4

Walter wrote:

Calhame wrote:

Newstalk 1010

At this point, maybe they should just drop the 'News' part of their name.  Sad decline.

It's stating the obvious to point out that during the John Moore morning show they spend 15 minutes on a panel every hour with more-or-less the same pool of people proffering frequently uninformed or partisan opinions on 4-5 events, and only about 60-90 seconds on the news that follows.   Maybe it is time to ditch the title and just call it "TalkOpinion 1010" instead.    And BTW, if any segment needed fresh blood, the panel is first in line.   Listening to it gets tedious after a while.      Also, I wish they'd ditch those self promotion spots with multiple short snippets of past shows.   They're just annoying and nothing else.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (September 27, 2023 8:36 am)

September 27, 2023 8:42 am  #5

I agree with Walter.  The "News" in News Talk 1010 should be dropped.  If I want broadcast news I go to 680 NEWS.  Ok I'm being nostalgic; but the "greats" of the past of CFRB are rolling over in their grave.  I don't follow the ratings much anymore; but I understand that CFRB is at its lowest of all time?  Is talk radio on the decline?

Last edited by AMFM (September 27, 2023 8:43 am)

September 27, 2023 10:16 am  #6

Spinning Wheel is right when he says it should be called Talk Opinion 1010. Nothing new there, that ship sailed long ago...and as for AMFM's question, is talk radio on the decline? Emphatically no. Just look at the CBC numbers. What's on the decline is the AM band and the notion of appointment listening. 

September 27, 2023 10:25 am  #7

It speaks volumes that ex-CFRB veteran Dave Agar asked that his name be taken off the newsroom entrance when Bell cut most of the staff several years ago. He knew what a desecration Bell had done and he no longer wanted to have his name associated with it. 

As for what it used to be, you can hear a great example of Jack Dennett on CFRB, reporting on the Munich Massacre at the 1972 Olympics. What a great writer and a great voice. He'd be horrified at the 1010 of today.  

September 27, 2023 10:41 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

It speaks volumes that ex-CFRB veteran Dave Agar asked that his name be taken off the newsroom entrance when Bell cut most of the staff several years ago. He knew what a desecration Bell had done and he no longer wanted to have his name associated with it. 

As for what it used to be, you can hear a great example of Jack Dennett on CFRB, reporting on the Munich Massacre at the 1972 Olympics. What a great writer and a great voice. He'd be horrified at the 1010 of today.  

Can you imagine the comments by Gordon Sinclair, Torbin Wittrup and Charles Doering? I am sure Bill Stephenson wouldn't be pleased that there is no longer any sports coverage.

September 27, 2023 10:51 am  #9

I find it interesting that we are all discussing how great a station CFRB was. And it was when it came to news, sports and traffic reports. But growing up would any of us have listened to 1010? All we wanted was top 40 music on CHUM, CKFH and CKOC. RB was the "Mom & Dad" station. I remember my dad gave me a ride to my summer job one day. Of course Wally was on the radio. Their music was so terrible [to a teen] that I prayed for lots of commercials. I got my wish. Only four records got played in one hour.