sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2023 3:49 pm  #1

New CHCH Studios Impress TV Writer Bill Brioux

Bill Brioux has been a guest on CHCH TV's Morning Live various times over the years.  Recently he was back to talk about his TV On Film Project.  This was the first time that Bill had been to the new facilities, and he came away impressed.  He comments that the new modern building features memorabilia and displays that reflect the long history of CHCH in Hamilton/Niagara...
https://brioux.tv/blog/2023/09/24/move-to-a-brand-new-studio-an-impressive-step-up-for-chch/ 

September 26, 2023 4:05 pm  #2

Re: New CHCH Studios Impress TV Writer Bill Brioux

Nice article and great pix. 

I wonder if anyone there knows that CHCH was originally supposed to be on Channel 13. (Unless this was somehow a typo back then.) I'm not sure what changed between the time they signed on in 1954 and when this came out in 1953.

Several months later...

September 26, 2023 5:36 pm  #3

That was correct - the allocations changed over the years, and moving CHCH from 13 to 11 cleared the way later on for CKCO (and later WOKR in Rochester) to use 13. 

September 26, 2023 7:12 pm  #4

Thanks for the confirmation. I always wondered what happened to change it from 13 to 11. But it happened in a hurry. That first article was from April 1953. The sign-on notice about CHCH on 11 was from January 1954, less than a year later. But in those early years of TV, I guess there was still a lot of room for alterations.

Sounds like one of the reasons CBLT switched from Channel 9 to Channel 6 in Toronto, to make way for what would eventually be CFTO. 

September 27, 2023 6:52 am  #5

Years ago, I seem to recall reading an article about the ch 13 issue. Apparently, Ken Soble was superstitious and asked the Kitchener folks if they be would be interested in swapping channels. They were just happy to have a channel and had no objections to the request.

March 13, 2024 5:01 pm  #6

Drove past today and noticed the on-site EV charging for employees. Nice perk. And the whole building looks costly. Channel Zero obviously got very good money for their studio and antenna lands.