sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2023 9:24 am  #1

Famous TV Shows That ‘Jumped The Shark’

I think I agree with most of this list, although I have absolutely no memory of The Beverly Hillbillies moving to a log cabin in New York's Central Park. When did THAT happen?

Famous TV Shows That ‘Jumped The Shark’

September 22, 2023 10:07 am  #2

Re: Famous TV Shows That ‘Jumped The Shark’

Did you know that Paul Henning originally planned on having the Clampetts move to New York. Because filming in NYC, was too expensive, the series setting was moved to California. The season 8 episode where Jed builds a log cabin in Central Park deals with conman Shifty Shafer [Phil Silvers] selling the Clampetts the entire park. As for the Andy Griffith show "struggling" after Don Knotts left after season five, I would tend to disagree. In Don's last season, the series ranked 4th in the Neilsen ratings. The final three season ratings were 6th, 3rd and 1st. I don't call that jumping the shark. The only reason the series ended was because Griffith had tired of the roll. It remains one of only three series in North American television history to be #1 in the Neilsen ratings at a series ending. I Love Lucy and Seinfeld are the other two.

September 22, 2023 10:33 am  #3

The New York episodes appear as if maybe it was originally a one hour special.
Currently the only thing found are two 30 minute versions. 
The quality of the first New York episode is not very good on You Tube, but the second half seems to be better.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 22, 2023 10:52 am  #4

The Simpsons, when they revealed that Principal Seymour Skinner was an impostor. And then at the end of the episode everyone was ordered never to talk about it again.

September 22, 2023 11:25 am  #5

MJ Vancouver wrote:

The Simpsons, when they revealed that Principal Seymour Skinner was an impostor. And then at the end of the episode everyone was ordered never to talk about it again.

For me it was the one with Maude Flanders' death, but yeah, Simpsons ceased to be 'must watch' TV after that. They did a good job with the movie though.

September 22, 2023 12:13 pm  #6

Not to mention the terrible way they dealt with the Apu controversy.

September 22, 2023 12:34 pm  #7

For me The Simpsons jumped the shark when Phil Hartman was murdered and the series lost great characters like Troy McLure, Lionel Hutz etc.
And I agree the Apu controversy was ridiculous.
A good friend of mine who is Canadian born, but of Indian origin (a hindu) thought Apu was great.

September 22, 2023 12:46 pm  #8

as happens often with these types of lists the way the article characterizes the the Beverley Hillbillies move to NY and Central Park is wrong. There were only two episodes in 1969 when they were in NY. Phil Silvers as Shifty Shavers was on those as well as 4 subsequent episodes including one in Washington where he sells the Clampetts the White House.  

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/