sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2023 2:43 pm  #1

Joe Bowen Confirms He & Jim Ralph Will Be Back Behind The Leaf Mic

It will be the 42nd season for the play-by-play voice and he'll again be joined by his usual partner, Jim Ralph. 

Have to say I would have been surprised if it had happened any other way, but it appears they'll be joining their Jays radio colleagues in being homeward bound. They'll be calling the away games from a Toronto studio. 

Holy Mackinaw, Joe Bowen confirms his return to Leafs radio

September 18, 2023 11:28 pm  #2

Re: Joe Bowen Confirms He & Jim Ralph Will Be Back Behind The Leaf Mic

I know most other people like Joe.  But I can't stand his screaming and I'll do my best to avoid listening to him. 

September 18, 2023 11:30 pm  #3

dieter wrote:

I know most other people like Joe.  But I can't stand his screaming and I'll do my best to avoid listening to him. 

I agree with you.

September 19, 2023 3:48 am  #4

dieter wrote:

Holy Mackinaw.  Best comment of the day!

September 19, 2023 7:32 am  #5

dieter wrote:

I find Bowen to be the most irritating sports announcer. I avoid Leaf radio broadcasts like the plague.

September 19, 2023 8:48 am  #6

both gord miller & chris cuthbert are good .. but i'd still prefer joe bowen, i love the enthusiasm .. in fact, joe's my all time #2 hockey play-by-play guy behind only danny gallivan .. 

September 19, 2023 8:53 am  #7

Why did you never want to get into a car with Danny Gallivan?

Because he always went out for a cannonading drive.

September 19, 2023 4:38 pm  #8

Rogers has released its schedule for the coming Leafs' season, including plans for the radio broadcasts on the Fan.

"41 Maple Leafs live radio broadcasts throughout the regular season. Veteran play-by-play announcer Joe Bowen returns to the Maple Leafs broadcast booth alongside analyst Jim Ralph. New this season, Ailish Forfar and Justin Cuthbert host pregame and intermissions, followed by Leafs Talk with JD Bunkis and Sam McKee for instant postgame reaction."

Sportsnet Announces 2023-24 NHL Regional Broadcast Schedules

October 11, 2023 6:39 am  #9

Love him or hate him, Joe Bowen is ready for the first regular season puck drop of 2023, now in his 42nd year as the voice of the Leafs. His new contract is only for one year, with an option for an extra two. 

He's an old pro at this now, but it wasn't always that way. Bowen remembers his very first Leafs' broadcast in Chicago, where everything went wrong. 

"Bowen had rehearsed some opening lines for his big night but technical difficulties were a problem. The pre-game show had to be scrapped and the engineer worked furiously to get the main broadcast on the air. 

“They’re just about to drop the puck and he points at me and says, ‘Go!,”‘ Bowen said. “Well all that stuff I had planned got thrown into the garbage can, they dropped the puck and away we go. 

“It probably worked out better.”

Bowen and colour man Jim Ralph will be pulling a Blue Jays shift this year - covering home games from Scotia Bank Arena live but doing all away games from a studio in Toronto.   

Holy Mackinaw! Joe Bowen excited for 42nd season as Maple Leafs' radio voice

October 11, 2023 9:21 am  #10

Three more seasons and Joe Bowen will tie Foster Hewitt's 45 year [1923-68] record of Leaf radio broadcasts.

October 11, 2023 10:21 am  #11

=12pxHoly Mackinaw Guy is very passionate about the Leafs, but he is O for 42 for Stanley Cups, time for new young Guys and Gals to break the curse.