sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2023 12:57 am  #31

Re: New Bell Fibe TV customer

torontostan wrote:

Cash: "Bell carries French channels that nobody watches" 
Translation: "Bell offers me French channels that I can choose whether or not to watch on this service that I willingly signed up for which also includes all of the channels I wish to watch"

Cash: "I am not in quebec"
Translation: "I am not capable of understanding that other people live in places which is not where I live, and they also may enjoy content that I do not, and vice-versa. Therefore, companies may try to target people that are like me, but also people that are not like me" 

Cash: "having a hundred French channels in Toronto isn't necessary"
Translation: "I do not want these channels, so good thing Bell gives me the option of hiding channels on my guide which I do not wish to see. And the Francophone individuals can also do the same at no cost"

Cash: "I don't know anyone who gets Bell Fibe for the French channels"
Translation: "I assume that nobody else in this country speaks French nor watches French TV because my 5 friends do not" 

Cash: "so much for choice"
Translation: "I am being offered more choice than I had before, on a service I willingly signed up for, and I am still complaining" 

This was an all-timer thread. Thanks for the laugh before bed. 

NAILED IT.
"Why does the 401 have so many lanes?  I only use one.  What a waste."
"Why does the grocery store have an entire cereal aisle?  I only need one box of Cheerios.  That space should be used for other things only I like."
My goodness.

September 14, 2023 1:48 am  #32

cash wrote:

I like it but there must be over a hundred French channels that no one will ever watch. 

Those channels should not be on your bill. They should be in a separate package.
Much like how we all have to pay extra for more than the basic English channel options. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 14, 2023 7:13 am  #33

No, torontostan, thank you. 👍

torontostan wrote:

Translation: "Bell offers me French channels that I can choose whether or not to watch on this service that I willingly signed up for which also includes all of the channels I wish to watch"

Translation: "I am not capable of understanding that other people live in places which is not where I live, and they also may enjoy content that I do not, and vice-versa. Therefore, companies may try to target people that are like me, but also people that are not like me" 

Translation: "I do not want these channels, so good thing Bell gives me the option of hiding channels on my guide which I do not wish to see. And the Francophone individuals can also do the same at no cost"

Translation: "I assume that nobody else in this country speaks French nor watches French TV because my 5 friends do not" 

Translation: "I am being offered more choice than I had before, on a service I willingly signed up for, and I am still complaining" 

September 14, 2023 10:37 am  #34

Tomas Barlow wrote:

torontostan wrote:

NAILED IT.
"Why does the 401 have so many lanes?  I only use one.  What a waste."
"Why does the grocery store have an entire cereal aisle?  I only need one box of Cheerios.  That space should be used for other things only I like."
My goodness.

I have University of Montreal campus radio in French but don't have Newstalk 1010? Do you think that makes sense for someone living in Toronto?

Last edited by cash (September 14, 2023 10:43 am)

September 14, 2023 10:53 am  #35

cash wrote:

I have University of Montreal campus radio in French but don't have Newstalk 1010? Do you think that makes sense for someone living in Toronto?

THANK-YOU! I knew you would pull through as the person making the most sense in this thread!!!!

TorontoStan and Thomas Barlow really have no logic, and NO IT WAS NOT NAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2023 12:07 pm  #36

torontostan wrote:

Brilliant .

September 14, 2023 4:34 pm  #37

The dialogue between the two on the first page reminded of the accusation made some years back of a certain poster using two monikers to conduct an argument which was outed by the then admin as a don't do  lesson. Also reminded me of the accusation a Toronto Sun sports columnist made once of the calls being aired by the then only sports talk station , as  being made from " behind the glass " .  

September 14, 2023 5:11 pm  #38

mic'em wrote:

The dialogue between the two on the first page reminded of the accusation made some years back of a certain poster using two monikers to conduct an argument which was outed by the then admin as a don't do  lesson. Also reminded me of the accusation a Toronto Sun sports columnist made once of the calls being aired by the then only sports talk station , as  being made from " behind the glass " .  

I only have one account. It was a legitimate complaint. 

September 14, 2023 5:54 pm  #39

Cash must have the Cadillac of Bell Fibe packages.  I don't get anywhere near 100 french channels. I have about 37 listed but this includes all of the french Crave, movie and kids channels, various specialty networks none of which I receive or subscribe to.

French channels I get are Radio Canada news channel and main network, TVA main network, sports and news, RDS sports, TV5 from France, TFO (TVO's french service) and some preview channels, so about 13-15 altogether.

I will on rare occasion watch something on TVA or Radio Canada main networks and maybe something on sports or news. I sometimes like to see how the Quebec media covers a story.  None of the french channels show up on my Bell invoices or if I am changing my channel line up.

Bell groups formats together more than Rogers so all of the french channels/networks are on a lower tier altogether.  The stations I watch, OTA channels, news and information channels, lifestyle, movie, streamers and sports etc. are in groups.  Maybe Rogers is doing this more now, but when I had them  stations were more scattered. 

I have found that Bell updates and reboots far less than Rogers and quicker whenever this rarely happens.  Sound and picture quality is excellent.  

Last edited by paterson1 (September 14, 2023 5:56 pm)

September 14, 2023 7:00 pm  #40

paterson1 wrote:

I have found that Bell updates and reboots far less than Rogers and quicker whenever this rarely happens.  Sound and picture quality is excellent.  

Interesting point about the updates. My Rogers Ignite TV service has not updated at all since I switched from Legacy to Ignite...that's not to say it won't update, it's just amazing that there have not been any updates...by now.

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 14, 2023 7:01 pm)

September 15, 2023 9:22 am  #41

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Interesting point about the updates. My Rogers Ignite TV service has not updated at all since I switched from Legacy to Ignite...that's not to say it won't update, it's just amazing that there have not been any updates...by now.

Ignite does update fairly regular..   It's the firmware and most times it happens overnight and you would never notice when it happens.   They are not changing much on what you see.. but background items change... added apps etc. 

September 15, 2023 9:32 am  #42

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

They could package these French channels and make Franco Ontarians pay for them. And give others some  options. It's lazy and political. Nothing more. 

You're not paying for them.

I disagree on the "NOT PAYING FOR THEM"  You do via the package price.    In Today's world sadly, most people want only what they want.  With lack of competition, tv providers try to justify the price increase/levels by the amount you get, but sadly, if you don't speak french, these channels are ZERO value and should be an optional add on  outside Quebec and French speaking areas.   I get where "cash" is coming from on this.   In 2023 you should be able to get an extremely local only basic package (which skinny is not fully) and pick past that what you want.  Sadly unless forced, it never happens or they try and change huge monthly fees on single channels to make them way less attractive.   This just makes cord cutters cut more! 

September 15, 2023 10:51 am  #43

I don't know if there is a cable package anywhere where you pick only the channels what you want.  All cable providers have must carry channels, which are mandated by the CRTC or in the US FCC.  I figured the reason I receive the french news and sports channels is because I subscribe to them on the english service, and they are considered part of these packages.   If they were gone I doubt if the price for sports and news would change. 

I believe regardless of what package you purchase with any cable provider there are always some french stations like Radio Canada, TFO and APTN that are always included in the service since they are national.  TFO, which is TVO's french channel is carried in Quebec and throughout the Maritimes even though it is an Ontario educational channel.

I always found it interesting with border cable services in the US that use to offer Canadian channels, usually included Radio Canada in their packages.  Some of the cable services in Western NY and Buffalo years ago almost always carried CBLFT in Toronto.  Never knew why, but they did.   

September 15, 2023 11:06 am  #44

Here in Canada, cable companies can offer Canadian and U.S. timeshifting packages which bring in numerous out of market signals. This is not permitted by the FCC. However, there is a list of approved "distant" signals for each market. For Buffalo/Niagara Falls they include CBLT, CFTO and CHCH. Cable companies can offer them to their customers, but are not required to do so. Last I checked, CBLT was still available, but in SD only. CFTO was dropped because the signal was mostly blacked out since their schedule was pretty close to those of the Buffalo stations.