sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2023 7:57 pm  #1

I have a question.

Is a colour person really necessary in radio baseball play-by-play?  Their repetition of what was just described by the play-by-play man just increases an annoying sound that makes listening to the ball game a chore.  The need to fill, what they determine to be dead air, is not necessary.  Any pertinent game info has already been detailed and much of what their colour commentary consists of has no bearing on the immediate play.  Perhaps if Rogers canned the colour person, they could afford to send Wagner to the road games.      

September 14, 2023 8:05 pm  #2

Re: I have a question.

Baseball is a terrible spectator sport. There should be three colour personalities per game.

September 14, 2023 8:19 pm  #3

laffin wrote:

Is a colour person really necessary in radio baseball play-by-play?  Their repetition of what was just described by the play-by-play man just increases an annoying sound that makes listening to the ball game a chore.  The need to fill, what they determine to be dead air, is not necessary.  Any pertinent game info has already been detailed and much of what their colour commentary consists of has no bearing on the immediate play.  Perhaps if Rogers canned the colour person, they could afford to send Wagner to the road games.      

We've had this discussion before and I have an alternate theory. The "colour man" (or woman, because they've used both) may feel if they don't say anything often enough, they could lose their gig. So by filling every possible spare second on air, they remind their bosses that they're doing their job. Even if it drives people like us crazy.

I could use a lot less of them doing that and talking instead about stuff that's actually relevant rather than analyzing every single pitch and foul-off in a nine-inning game. As the Tremeloes noted in 1967, "Silence Is Golden." (So was Molson, but I'm not sure if they make that kind of beer anymore.)

September 14, 2023 8:25 pm  #4

Chrisphen wrote:

Baseball is a terrible spectator sport. There should be three colour personalities per game.

And at least one of them should be playing a banjo.

September 14, 2023 8:26 pm  #5

Filling dead-air is necessary, as moments of dead-air or near silence don't get picked up by ratings meters.

September 14, 2023 10:21 pm  #6

A good colour person shouldn't repeat what just happened.  They should explain how or why it happened and what is likely to happen next.

September 15, 2023 10:19 am  #7

My cousin comes on the weekends to the cottage and sometimes plays the baseball game blaring from his car.   Very annoying.  I come him Al Bundy.

September 15, 2023 10:49 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

laffin wrote:

We've had this discussion before and I have an alternate theory. The "colour man" (or woman, because they've used both) may feel if they don't say anything often enough, they could lose their gig. So by filling every possible spare second on air, they remind their bosses that they're doing their job. Even if it drives people like us crazy
I could use a lot less of them doing that and talking instead about stuff that's actually relevant rather than analyzing every single pitch and foul-off in a nine-inning game. As the Tremeloes noted in 1967, "Silence Is Golden." (So was Molson, but I'm not sure if they make that kind of beer anymore.)

Golden is no longer produced. I miss their 1970's ads. What's your sign? Female answer: Exit. What's Fred doing at the bottom of the pool? Australian Crawl? Must be. He's down under!!