sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2023 8:55 am  #1

Owner Explains What It's Like Listening To AM Radio In A Tesla

The simple answer is that the vehicle comes with the "Tune-In" app built in. So he tunes into AM not on AM, but on the Internet. 

It's an interesting article, especially because I believe this Tesla owner actually lives in New York City, which has some of the best radio talent on earth. Yet he talks about CHML from Hamilton as one his "favourites" (CHML? A favourite? To each his own, but OK) and the difficulty that can come when he tries to find a station that uses a slogan rather than its call letters. 

"I found my worldwide favorites: BBC Radio Scotland, WSM Nashville, OZFM Newfoundland, Radio New Zealand, CHML Hamilton, Ontario, and WLEW Bad Axe, Mich. I even discovered Al Weiner’s shortwave station WBCQ The Planet in static-free stereo. If it’s on the air, it’s probably on TuneIn.  

"When using the search bar, you may have to try various monikers. For example CFRB 1010 Toronto is called up only as “Newstalk 1010.”

This guy has quite the eclectic taste. 

I like his description of the menu and that the radio automatically updates what's coming in on the screen, which makes DX-ing a breeze. But I disagree with him on this:

"Distribution by internet is more cost-effective and more robust."

Maybe more robust, but more cost-effective? Using up data vs. a free over-the-air signal? I don't buy that at all. But I also won't be buying a Tesla anytime soon. Still, if you ever wondered what the radio is like in a Musk-made machine, this guy covers it pretty well. 

AM Listening Is Better Than Ever … in My Tesla! 

September 10, 2023 10:53 am  #2

Re: Owner Explains What It's Like Listening To AM Radio In A Tesla

RadioActive wrote:

Maybe more robust, but more cost-effective? Using up data vs. a free over-the-air signal? I don't buy that at all. But I also won't be buying a Tesla anytime soon.

He means for the broadcaster. And while he's right, it's irrelevant as turning the transmitter off is not a viable option for local stations.

From the consumer side, you need a data-plan to make full use of a Tesla anyway, so streaming is the better option for AM radio.

September 10, 2023 11:12 am  #3

Well, since it comes without an AM radio in it, it's also the only option. 

September 10, 2023 11:18 am  #4

Well, yeah. Ha.

Even if it did have an AM tuner, the streaming would still be the better option.

September 10, 2023 2:10 pm  #5

Most AM stations on TuneIn, have really good audo quality, including some in stereo. These are not feeds received “off air” on AM.  There are still a number of black holes in S. Ontario where cell service is deficient in rural areas, so there are places where you may lose the signal for a couple of minutes, but AM reception in mid-town and downtown toronto was horrible - in my former vehicle(s).   So reception is highly reliable albeit through the internet.   Overall aeach model of the Teslas have excellent audio systems so AM radio (audio quality) via TuneIn is on par with FM, from a listener’s perspective, and the large number of pre-sets with easy access is a plus.  The car’s “smarts” also display all local stations that are streaming, AM, FM, and internet, so in Southern Ontario, there is no searching for dozens of GTA, and golden horeshoe stastions that can be accessed through TuneIn.  You get instant displays of “local”, “my favourites”,   “My recents”.  In 2-1/2 years of Tesla ownership there have been multiple software updates (delivered over the internet) to the car with continuous improvements to the FM radio, TuneIn Spotify, Apple Music and other audio offerings.  The monthly data package is not over-priced (about $17 a month) because it also “powers” navigation systems, self-driving functions, as well as the audio sysem.  Some might say $17 a month is a lot of money.  But given that my own energy costs are so low (home charging) ,it's a fraction of what I was paying for gasoline.  One other observation, as you “travel” the FM radio’s “available” station list automatically updates including HD2’s, HD3’s etc.  If you drive to KW, the audio system updates the avaiable FM stations (with most stations’ logos).  Pretty cool.  I suspect that other EV makers' audio systems will be on par with Tesla's system.  The VW ID4 EV's system is really good as well.  

Last edited by tvguy (September 10, 2023 2:15 pm)

September 10, 2023 2:16 pm  #6

tvguy wrote:

One other observation, as you “travel” the FM radio’s “available” station list automatically updates including HD2’s, HD3’s etc.  If you drive to KW, the audio system updates the avaiable FM stations (with most stations’ logos).  Pretty cool.

For what ever reason, I was under the impression that its radio didn't have HD. Though, the one time I got to drive one, I was in another city and didn't which stations had HD. Possibly none of them. Good to know!

September 10, 2023 2:48 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

The only way this is true is if you own an ISP.  Otherwise, it becomes like those 'finger trap' toys.   The more you pull, the tighter it gets...  The more successful you are, the more streams you need to provide and, therefore, the more expensive it becomes, and it can get VERY expensive.

Online radio is still unicast.  Each listener gets a discrete stream.  And till the ISPs agree, it will remain that way.  Most large companies like it that way because they can zero in on listener information, location, hours, etc.

From personal experience, I had a fun online radio hobby; there was a solid 2-300 listeners 24/7.  I have a VPS, so it never came close to killing my bandwidth, and it cost next to nothing, other than server costs and an annual $100 to Socan to at least keep it partially legal. 

Then Microsoft decided to feature it on the front page of their 'recommended stations' listing, and it all went to hell. 

It went from hundreds to thousands, and eventually, I got a note from my ISP telling me my cap had been shot to smithereens.   That was when I pulled the plug on it.  I could have restricted the server to a few hundred, but what's the point? And I certainly couldn't afford the 7 to 8 thousand that suddenly hopped on a stream.  (Not sure how many since that's all the concurrent connections my account / ISP could support).

My 2¢.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 10, 2023 8:48 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

tvguy wrote:

One other observation, as you “travel” the FM radio’s “available” station list automatically updates including HD2’s, HD3’s etc.  If you drive to KW, the audio system updates the avaiable FM stations (with most stations’ logos).  Pretty cool.

For what ever reason, I was under the impression that its radio didn't have HD. Though, the one time I got to drive one, I was in another city and didn't which stations had HD. Possibly none of them. Good to know!

The HD radio in the Tesla, seems to be more sensitive and less prone to overload, than HD radios in other cars I have owned or driven.   Unfortunately Rogers 92.5 has a very poor signal (due to protections to other stations), so decoding  HD signals on 92.5 in Mississauga and Brampton have proven to be challenging.  CFMZ on the other hand, has good HD coverage west of Toronto.

September 11, 2023 8:04 pm  #9

tvguy wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

tvguy wrote:

The HD radio in the Tesla, seems to be more sensitive and less prone to overload, than HD radios in other cars I have owned or driven.   Unfortunately Rogers 92.5 has a very poor signal (due to protections to other stations), so decoding  HD signals on 92.5 in Mississauga and Brampton have proven to be challenging.  CFMZ on the other hand, has good HD coverage west of Toronto.

I would have thought 92.5 reception would have been worse east of Toronto because of the signal null to protect Rochester.

September 13, 2023 7:13 am  #10

A letter writer with a Tesla responds to what he says is an error in the AM article. He claims the display does not show distant stations in the FM menu, which would be amazing for DXers. Instead, it picks up the distant signal and shows you a local logo instead, so unless you specifically tune in, you have no idea it's there. 

"I have had e-skip in my area of Florida where [it] was showing a relatively local FM station’s logo and yet audio coming in was [from] a station in Iowa. So the graphical display has no way to know that [while] the RBDS showed the Iowa call sign, the logo was showing the local station."

Radio Needs Tesla to Fix This Car Dashboard Flaw

September 13, 2023 8:56 am  #11

RadioActive:    You shared, over the past year, your decision to dispose of your old vehicle and the transaction in which you acquired a new Mazda.   The topic of radio reception on both conventionally-powered v. electricity-powered vehicles has been background-buzz over that entire time.   If you had the opportunity to recoup your entire investment in the Mazda and instead acquire a new Tesla (or other E.V.) today, would you?

September 13, 2023 9:28 am  #12

The answer is a simple no. The reasons may not be so simple.

Teslas are waaaay out of my price range for one.

For another, the problem with AM is an issue for me.

And last but not least, I've been told I would have to completely upgrade and rewire my house to allow me to charge the car, and that would set me back another $10,000 or more. 

So by the time I finished, it would cost me more than a small fortune. And while Teslas can eliminate the cost of gas, I can't afford all those "savings!"

So as much as I'm not happy with the radio set-up in my new car (it's way too clunky) I'm not likely to spring for an EV for a long time. 

September 13, 2023 1:31 pm  #13

This article seems to have touched a lot of nerves at the site where it was originally published. Problem is this letter writer's "6 points" that someone will make about his Tesla listening, is, in fact exactly what I would say! I don't think this author approves of those points, but hey, I think they're all true. 

So yes, some of these "improvements" are far from the meaning of the word in my mind.

For example, I believe keyless entry is awful - and makes all cars using it so much easier to steal. Sometimes adding high tech isn't the best thing to do just because it's the latest and greatest upgrade. I really miss my old radio with the volume control and a tuning knob and nothing else. It worked, was easy to use and caused zero problems. 

I really don't need a screen in front of my face when I'm doing something potentially dangerous, like, oh I don't know - driving a car in Toronto traffic? But yeah, I'm guess I'm just old fashioned that way!

Endless Audio Options in the Car Do Not Make for Easy Listening