sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2023 4:52 am  #31

Re: John Moore Gets New Timeslot On CFRB

RadioActive wrote:

What does the shift change do to their morning "Breakfast Wrap" that they put online? That primarily consisted of an edited version of the 5-6 AM hour, with the thinking being most people aren't up that early, so they can catch up on what they didn't hear. Are they still going to bother?

Looks like the "Breakfast Wrap" is no more indeed; the last episode posted was September 1st.

As for Tim Denis and CKTB, is that last hour live or are they slicing up some segments from the preceding few hours on a given morning and doing an "encore"/"best of" hour?

September 6, 2023 6:56 am  #32

Good question but I would hate to think they would do a reroll at 9 AM! Even CFRB doesn't stoop that low. Either way, it's a lot of Tim Denis every day.

September 6, 2023 7:27 am  #33

RadioActive wrote:

Good question but I would hate to think they would do a reroll at 9 AM! Even CFRB doesn't stoop that low.

You're probably right, as it's during the day. I was thinking about that overnight experiment first hosted by Jim Richards and later David Cooper that ran midnight to 5 am. In that, the 4 am to 5 am hour was just a straight reroll of the first hour from earlier - I guess they figured few people listening to that first hour would still be listening later on!

September 7, 2023 5:39 am  #34

My dog woke me up at 5 AM because he's dealthy afraid of thunder. So I got to listen to the radio at a time I don't normally get to hear it. And it struck me that Greg Brady's show on AM 640 starts at 5:30 AM. So thanks to RB's time shift, it means the Corus morning show now starts earlier than 1010's does. 

I doubt it will make much difference in the end, but I have to admit it was nice hearing a live voice with updated stories at that time of the morning and I suppose moving Moore could help a few early risers discover an alternative when they get up. It might not help, but it couldn't hurt.

September 7, 2023 7:19 am  #35

John's off tomorrow (Friday Sept 8th) .. John Tory in again to sub for Moore .. 

September 8, 2023 6:14 am  #36

This may become a permanent spot for John Tory and, if so, I will be searching for another radio station.

September 8, 2023 6:29 am  #37

Listener wrote:

This may become a permanent spot for John Tory and, if so, I will be searching for another radio station.

I'm thinking of a few possibilities:

1) This may truly be one-off fill-in slots for vacationing hosts throughout the schedule and the station is hoping to get any publicity out of it (they sure over-promoted Tory's first fill-in as a "major announcement", etc.)

2) Perhaps seeing how Tory does and the reaction towards him. I can see him returning to the afternoon drive slot of "The Rush", which he once hosted, and they find a television slot for current host Reshmi Nair somewhere, where I think she's actually stronger.

3) As noted elsewhere here, Moore frequently complains (seemingly at least every hour of each show) about the hours of the "plum" morning drive role - "the crack of stupid", waking up at 2 or 3 am, no social/evening life, trouble napping as part of his routine where some hosts can nap/fall asleep right away, etc.   Perhaps they put Moore back to his old afternoon drive slot - where he'd take callers again like he's doing with the 9 am hour experiment currently - and Tory takes the morning show slot?

4) Some other permanent show slot for Tory on 1010 not related to #2 or #3 above. Weekend mornings 6-9 am? Currently just rerolls and CP24 simulcasts. Not sure Tory is exactly the kind of folksy, story-driven host good in those "listen with your cup of coffee" Saturday and Sunday slots, but maybe.

Last edited by AspectRatio (September 8, 2023 7:10 am)

September 8, 2023 6:52 am  #38

I've heard through the grapevine that the powers-that-be at 1010 would love to bring Tory back on a more permanent basis. We'll see if that happens. 

September 8, 2023 7:36 am  #39

Anybody would be a better morning host for the station than little Johnny.

For those that know, he's brought the once mighty 'RB lead-in ratings down, down, down every year he's been there.

September 8, 2023 9:55 am  #40

John Tory would be no worse than #3 in Newstalk 1010's host ranking .. only John Moore & Vassy Kapelos could rate higher.

September 8, 2023 3:16 pm  #41

I can't imagine Tory would be interested in having to get up at 4AM every day on any regular basis He certainly doesn't need the money. 

September 8, 2023 4:57 pm  #42

Hansa wrote:

I can't imagine Tory would be interested in having to get up at 4AM every day on any regular basis He certainly doesn't need the money. 

It's a good point. But wasn't Tory well-known for being an early riser and often visible in his city hall office already at 6:00, 6:30 am? Seems to be a classic "morning person".

September 14, 2023 6:37 am  #43

Incidentally, it's been quite the musical chairs rotation of news anchors for Moore's show since Ashley Legassic's departure on September 1st: Patricia Mohamed, Heather Seaman, Tiffany Hendsbee, Victoria Matiash and possibly another one or two I don't recall or wasn't listening to at the time. Doesn't seem to be a CTV job posting currently for the gig so I assume they're trying to determine who to fill it internally with - unless it'll just be constant rotating based on availability.

September 14, 2023 6:46 am  #44

AspectRatio wrote:

Incidentally, it's been quite the musical chairs rotation of news anchors for Moore's show since Ashley Legassic's departure on September 1st: Patricia Mohamed, Heather Seaman, Tiffany Hendsbee, Victoria Matiash and possibly another one or two I don't recall or wasn't listening to at the time. Doesn't seem to be a CTV job posting currently for the gig so I assume they're trying to determine who to fill it internally with - unless it'll just be constant rotating based on availability.

It's like waiting to find out who was going to team up with Ryan Doyle on the Rush so many years ago.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton