sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2023 10:10 am  #1

The Lake-Grimsby

Well The Lake is live and I saw my friend Matthew Walker, grad of the Mohawk Radio program who did (or might still be) doing Evenings on The Grand-also owned by Durham Radio is Morning Man at The Lake, also looks like Ted Yates also from The Grand and previously CKOC is doing middays for both The Grand and The Lake: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61550021086218

Wonder if Rock N' Ray is doing afternoon drive on both frequencies. I was unable to find a website for the station.

Last edited by km93 (August 30, 2023 10:36 am)

August 30, 2023 1:32 pm  #2

Re: The Lake-Grimsby

Update: https://885thelake.fm/index.php/on-air

Certainly some familiar names, will be nice to hear Paul Morris on the air again.

August 30, 2023 3:00 pm  #3

There definitely does seem to be a lot of simulcasting going on. 

Both stations air Ted Yates in mid-morning and Rockin' Ray Michaels in afternoon drive. What's really unusual (unless the Grand simply has not updated its site since CKLK signed on) is that Matt Walker does mornings on the newcomer and is listed as doing evenings/weekends on 92.9. Talk about double duty!

They both also air the Ashby Oldies Show at the same time and The Beach Party on Friday and Saturday nights. In addition, Holly Lynne is listed as doing news for both stations. So in terms of separate staffing, this Lake would appear to be fairly shallow. 

THE GRAND

THE LAKE

August 30, 2023 5:26 pm  #4

Gotta love how they just photoshop the new station's logo into Ray's picture.
Gary was on The Grand for a while, but didn't stay long. Now he's back on The Lake.

This was what I was getting at on another topic. Having seen no job postings I assumed this would be a simulcast of the Grand, and it's looks like for most of the day, it is. So you have The Grand, serving Caledonia, and The Lake, serving Grimsby, both coming out of Hamilton at the KX947 building.

The address for 33 Main St in Grimsby must just be an office to pick up prizes or talk to advertisers.

Last edited by Brad (August 30, 2023 5:31 pm)

August 30, 2023 5:27 pm  #5

Kind of weird that they didn't sync up the branding.

August 31, 2023 5:01 pm  #6

The simulcast/syndication, this is the 'synergies' that Durham radio proposed. Didn't think it included this type of dual programming over two stations during drive times and such. At the same time, it is a great way to operate a limited signal on a budget.

August 31, 2023 8:52 pm  #7

Brad wrote:

Gotta love how they just photoshop the new station's logo into Ray's picture.

That picture actually dates back to his days at CKOC 1150. It's been photoshopped at least a couple of times before: once when he was on the internet station d-moos and then again when he came over to The Grand 92.9.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

September 1, 2023 5:32 pm  #8

So The Grand has updated their website, and Gary is now on evenings. So 10am to midnight will be a simulcast pretty much.

September 3, 2023 10:31 pm  #9

Wonder what this means for whatever it is on 1220...

September 7, 2023 10:16 am  #10

RadioAaron wrote:

Kind of weird that they didn't sync up the branding.

Locality:The Grand in Caledonia makes sense because of The Grand River running through it while The Lake for Grimsby with it being right on Lake Ontario.

September 7, 2023 1:10 pm  #11

It's weird as I'm in Hamilton and get both 92.9 and 88.5, both with the same programming.

I guess I should check to see if there's anything Grimsby originated on 88.5 website.

Last edited by DOPEfm (September 7, 2023 1:11 pm)

September 7, 2023 1:27 pm  #12

DOPEfm wrote:

It's weird as I'm in Hamilton and get both 92.9 and 88.5, both with the same programming.

I guess I should check to see if there's anything Grimsby originated on 88.5 website.

I'm curious which frequency comes in clearer where you are? I thought part of Durham's logic was for 88.5 to reach the areas that 92.9 didn't clearly reach. I remember there were parts of Hamilton (Downtown and East End) that 92.9 would have poor reception.

September 7, 2023 3:43 pm  #13

km93 wrote:

DOPEfm wrote:

I'm curious which frequency comes in clearer where you are? I thought part of Durham's logic was for 88.5 to reach the areas that 92.9 didn't clearly reach. I remember there were parts of Hamilton (Downtown and East End) that 92.9 would have poor reception.

Typically, 92.9 has greater coverage. 88.5 is spotty.

September 7, 2023 3:48 pm  #14

They also have to worry about CKDX, Lite 88.5 in Newmarket on the same frequency. The two seem very close radio-wise in terms of geographic proximity. 

I remember when Buffalo's WBUF at 92.9 used to put in a great signal to Toronto, coming in like a local. But that changed several years ago when they moved their transmitter. I haven't heard them here since. But I do get the Grand fairly regularly. 

September 7, 2023 7:24 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

They also have to worry about CKDX, Lite 88.5 in Newmarket on the same frequency. The two seem very close radio-wise in terms of geographic proximity. 

I remember when Buffalo's WBUF at 92.9 used to put in a great signal to Toronto, coming in like a local. But that changed several years ago when they moved their transmitter. I haven't heard them here since. But I do get the Grand fairly regularly. 

WBUF also had the benefit of cable radio in Toronto back in the 80's.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.