sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2023 7:51 am  #1

Ignite Assistance

Well I finally bit the bullet and had Rogers Ignite installed on Labour Day. Installer knew his stuff and answered all my initial questions. Everything is working fine. It will take some time to adjust. One thing I found disappointing is that I can no longer use my stereo speakers for sound. My PVR had an extra audio input for this. Ignite does not. I am currently stuck with tv sound. I spoke with a sales rep from Bay Bloor Radio yesterday about this issue. He recommended a DAC? I have no idea what that is,  I am sure there are many SOWNY members with much more audio technical knowledge than I possess. Please enlighten me about this DAC thingy.  Do you think it will solve my problem?

September 7, 2023 8:02 am  #2

Re: Ignite Assistance

A DAC is a "Digital to Analog Converter". Basically it can take an optical input in, USB audio in, and many models support HDMI in (at a bit of a premium sometimes due to HDMI's licensing costs). They can be in form factors from USB thumbdrive (tube of chapstick sized) all the way up to stereo component sized and price ranges can be less than $50 all the way up to thousands.

Bay Bloor's selection is here for example:
https://baybloorradio.com/audio-components/dac-converters

More general advice:
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dacs-what-is-a-dac-and-do-you-need-one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DORsRJbO5UY

A DAC I think is a reasonable recommendation. The other option is to buy or use an existing A/V receiver which is adept at taking video/audio in and routing it to speakers, headphones, etc. - the purpose of a receiver. Are your existing speakers powered speakers (such as with a volume knob) that take RCA-type or 1/8" inputs? Or more the hi-fi style speakers?

Not sure the particular model of your Ignite box. If you can read that from the back plate of it, manual or your Rogers account (or its box) we can see the ports as part of its specs and what solutions might work best for you.

September 7, 2023 8:11 am  #3

Mac,e I am using my amp and stereo speakers for sound; but it took the guys who initially installed my system and tweak a few things. The ignite installer had never seen an amp before!!!   Above my pay scale; but it can be done.

September 7, 2023 12:00 pm  #4

I have audio jacks on the back of my TV and run cable to my stereo amp which then feeds my Polk Audio Studio II passive speakers.

September 7, 2023 4:15 pm  #5

I have a Sony surround system, has to be 15 or more years old by now, Ignite works through it no problem. 

September 13, 2023 10:22 am  #6

I much appreciate your suggestions. Am off to Bay Bloor radio this morning to solve my problem. Hopefully, I will be successful.

September 13, 2023 8:27 pm  #7

I purchased a Binary DAC for $80, an AQU optical cable for $65 and an AQ RCA  Evergreen cable for $90 from Bay Bloor Radio. Since I am pretty much clueless when it comes to technology, a BBR tech will install everything next Wednesday for $150. Money well spent imo.

September 27, 2023 11:35 am  #8

Just an update. The BBR tech came this morning. It took him all of 20 minutes to have everything installed and set up. I now have speaker sound back for my tv. No way could I have done this myself. Money well spent.