sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2023 10:40 am  #1

At What Point Does Your Taste In Music Officially Get Old?

Alan Cross cites several studies that seem to show the music of your youth is the only tuneage you're willing to listen to by a certain point in your life. And while there are rare exceptions, you'll generally wind up hating what your kids are listening to.

"By the time we all reach our 30s — like I said, the magic age for this seems to be 33 — our tastes in music have matured and, in some cases, solidified. The music of our youth becomes comfort food, the songs we return to again and again. If you have kids who are into music, you tend to run from their tunes — i.e. contemporary sounds — faster. You reach the fed-up stage an average of four years earlier. This means that if you had kids early, you may have grown sick of today’s music by the time you’re 27."

At what point does your taste in music officially get old? There’s a study for that

September 4, 2023 11:12 am  #2

Re: At What Point Does Your Taste In Music Officially Get Old?

Excellent article; however I have heard this sort of information before.  One example.  When I worked for CJCL, RA will remember this, the format changed to Music of Your Life; in the early 80s..  Well it wasn't my life; it was more the music of my parents' life.

The speaker for MOYL had some very interesting things to say about music in general.  He told us that the music we listen to in our teens would probably remain our favorites for a lifetime.  I remember Pam asking if she would still love Hendrix in her 70's.  He replied with a resounding yes.  Therefore, their format would be centered on the music of my parents' life.

If you're in your 70s now you will remember that we came in at the end of the MOR format.  Rosemary Clooney, Perry Como etc.  Then it was Rock 'n' Roll.  Therefore, I can still listen now to the MOR hits of the 50s with no problem; but I am at heart a Rock 'n' Roller.

Again a great article.

September 4, 2023 12:10 pm  #3

I’m glad the Music of My Life is 1990s 😄

September 4, 2023 12:54 pm  #4

Strangely, I had just re-watched this video, including some comments. Seems relevant to me...

September 4, 2023 12:58 pm  #5

And of course, there's this recent post about a 21-year-old Detroit announcer who's amping up interest in Motown classics to people around her own age. 

September 4, 2023 1:53 pm  #6

I have always liked and enjoyed the Moody Blues.  For a real treat listen on Spotify or watch on YouTube
the Moody Blues in concert with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. at Red Rock Colorado.
Just amazing!

September 4, 2023 2:08 pm  #7

Young people enjoying older music does not go against this theory.

There was a time where, yes, the vast majority of music that stuck with younger generations was current, but that doesn't hold as true anymore. They don't have to rely on radio, and everything ever recorded is free at their fingertips. I've also seen more teens/20s embracing whatever their parents like rather than rebelling against it. 

September 4, 2023 2:16 pm  #8

mojo55 wrote:

I have always liked and enjoyed the Moody Blues.  For a real treat listen on Spotify or watch on YouTube
the Moody Blues in concert with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. at Red Rock Colorado.
Just amazing!

I'm not sure how many remember a short-lived group called The Blue Jays (no relation to the Toronto baseball team!) They had a minor hit with "I Dreamed Last Night" and they sound exactly like The Moody Blues.

And that's because, for all intents and purposes, they were. The group consisted of Justin Hayward and John Lodge, who were the core of the MBs. 

Not sure why they went solo under a different name, but the sound is unmistakably theirs and it just as easily could have been a Moody Blues song. Should have been a much bigger hit.

September 4, 2023 3:55 pm  #9

Capricasix wrote:

I’m glad the Music of My Life is 1990s 😄

And sadly, one of the voices from the 90s died today - Steve Harwell of Smashmouth. He was only 56

September 4, 2023 4:45 pm  #10

At 67, I am still a fan of alt rock. Max FM 89.1 out of Orillia is still my go to in the car. 

September 4, 2023 6:57 pm  #11

Speaking of liking older music, just finding out now that Gary Wright died.  Crap!  It's going to be weird hearing Love Is Alive next time.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 4, 2023 8:21 pm  #12

Jody Thornton wrote:

Speaking of liking older music, just finding out now that Gary Wright died.  Crap!  It's going to be weird hearing Love Is Alive next time.

Before he became the Dream Weaver, Gary Wright was a member of Spooky Tooth. Who had one of the more unusual album titles with "You Broke My Heart and so I busted Your Jaw."

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 4, 2023 8:40 pm  #13

Sounds like a perfect companion song to Harry Nilsson's "You're Breaking My Heart." 

One listen to the first verse will tell you why.

September 5, 2023 5:01 pm  #14

I must be weird because I still listen to and enjoy (for the most part) today's hit music. I will admit my favourite period of music is 1956 - 1965, but there are many current hit songs that I really like and my main choice for radio listening is current hit radio. Musically, the Top 40 / CHR format has had not so good periods over the years, but currently it is really good. Could use some real rock tracks, though. My biggest complaint about the format as it is today is keeping some songs in current or high rotation for 12 - 18 months. I also listen to alternative rock and am seriously unhappy that the music I grew up with is too old for the "oldies format". 

September 5, 2023 5:47 pm  #15

Storm wrote:

I     my favorite period of music is 1956 - 1965     

That's why you are constantly voted "Monitor For Life"

September 5, 2023 5:53 pm  #16

Storm wrote:

Could use some real rock tracks, though. 

Rock has mostly splintered off into niches. There's not a lot bands making "down the middle" mass-appeal rock tracks. It's especially hard to get traction for Rock in bigger cities with diverse populations. Most newcomers grew up almost entirely with rhythmic music.