sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2017 12:24 pm  #1

More Carl Banas on CKFM

There's definitely fans of Mr Banas at SOWNY and I have just uploaded almost 90 mins of him on CKFM from September 1972.  Take a trip down memory lane and hear him play the San Francisco hippy band "It's a Beautiful Day."

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 27, 2017 1:00 pm  #2

Re: More Carl Banas on CKFM

Whenever I've been in a position to 'program' over Christmas I always will put on his 'Christmas Carol', either the LP one, or the CKFM version.  I believe it still holds up today.  He also did a tribute '45 'love song' for the CN tower that I have somewhere, and a couple of spoken word albums with Reid, his son.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 27, 2017 1:55 pm  #3

As Carl would often say on his station ID's

"Swingin' Singin' Sounds in Stereo.   ninety-nine-point-nine  CEEEE  KAAAAY F  M!!!!!!

January 27, 2017 6:56 pm  #4

I remember going downtown to the Sheraton Center on Saturday afternoons to see Jim Galloway's live to air jazz show that Carl hosted and was broadcast live on 99.9

January 28, 2017 2:34 pm  #5

I'm guessing it's an off-air copy, but a stereo off air copy and great quality.  Pretty amazing.
I'm guessing based on the flutter it's from a reel to reel.

Wild.

January 28, 2017 5:42 pm  #6

One distinctive feature of CKFM over the years was the time tones on the hour and half-hour. I don't recall any other music station doing this, but you couldn't help but notice.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 28, 2017 5:59 pm  #7

Can't find my scribble on it, but it was originally created using parts of an old Hammond organ.  

Dale Patterson wrote:

One distinctive feature of CKFM over the years was the time tones on the hour and half-hour. I don't recall any other music station doing this, but you couldn't help but notice.

January 28, 2017 10:09 pm  #8

ig wrote:

I'm guessing it's an off-air copy, but a stereo off air copy and great quality.  Pretty amazing.
I'm guessing based on the flutter it's from a reel to reel.

Wild.

Yes it's from a home recorded reel to reel, The first and shorter clip is better quality. I had to boost the audio on one channel on the second clip and it's spotty in parts but the pseudo-reggae version of Shaft by Byron Lee and The Dragonaires on the second clip is a musical highlight. The air check is in stereo and 70's vintage FM stereo is hard to beat. 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/