sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2023 9:59 pm  #1

Spectrum Cable Drops Disney, ABC, ESPN Due To Carriage Dispute in US

The number 2 cable TV service in the US has dropped Disney, ESPN and a bunch of other related channels from their cable lineup.  Details from Deadline.https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-espn-blackout-charter-spectrum-1235533518/.

August 31, 2023 11:34 pm  #2

Re: Spectrum Cable Drops Disney, ABC, ESPN Due To Carriage Dispute in US

The only good thing about the vertical ownership oligopoly in this country is that this kind of stuff doesn’t happen every three months. It’s ridiculous how often viewers are held hostage by multi billion dollar corporations down there.

September 1, 2023 11:11 am  #3

Spectrum pulled the plug at 5pm Pacific/8pm Eastern yesterday.  ESPN was covering US Open Tennis when the screens went blank.  Many ticked off customers that are angry with both Disney and Spectrum cable. 
Interesting to see how long this lasts. 

September 1, 2023 2:42 pm  #4

Disney, despite all its cuddly cartoon characters, has a reputation for pulling stunts like this and being very, very greedy. I remember back in my C-Band dish days, they were either threatening to or actually raising the price of ESPN and the Disney Channel, forcing bills to go ever higher.  

The problem was that EPSN was a basic must carry, so even if you didn't care about sports (and I didn't) you were forced to pay the ever-escalating cost for a station you never watched. It was infuriating and I see nothing has changed. It's far worse now that they also own ABC and several other properties. 

But they're not the only ones. Nexstar, the largest owner of TV stations in the U.S., pulled ALL their stations from DirecTV in the U.S., leaving millions without access to NBC, CBS, ABC and the CW, depending on the city where the channels are. This was just in time for football season to kick off, which is exactly why they're doing it. 

Nexstar says it wants fair compensation for its numerous channels. DirecTV insists it will force a big price hike if they give in and has been fiercely resisting. And so the outage has gone on for several months, with no resolution in sight, each accusing the other of bargaining in bad faith and subscribers fuming. 

What few are left. Many have outright cancelled their subscriptions to the satellite service and are leaving for either cable or OTA or both (or just streaming), being fed up with constantly getting caught in the middle. They have lost thousands of subscribers this year alone and it's expected most will never come back. Which means both sides lose, but being the greedmongers that they are and having that built into their business model, neither side is willing to budge. 

And on and on and on it goes. 

There are a lot of things I hate about the Canadian system, but this is not one of them. I remember watching C-Span when this law was up for debate all those years ago and the NAB was lobbying to be able to charge cable and satellite for use of their signals. Experts warned what it would mean. And sadly for those down south, they weren't wrong. 

September 1, 2023 3:08 pm  #5

Spectrum cable thinking of dropping it's TV service. I dropped Spectrum TV last year and I am using YouTubeTV for my TV service here in WNY. I retained Spectrum internet.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/charter-disney-permanent-drop-pay-tv-bundle-reboot-1235579838/

Last edited by canam2021 (September 1, 2023 3:13 pm)

September 2, 2023 7:51 am  #6

I think Disney gets something in the range of $7-$9/month per cable subscriber. The majority of the other cable channels get $1 or less.

September 2, 2023 7:53 am  #7

Oops! That fee was for ESPN. I really should proof read before I press send.

September 3, 2023 7:26 am  #8

This article confirms that ESPN costs cable/sat subscribers $9 U.S. a month - whether they watch the network or not. But it also asks the question: can the station survive as cord cutting and streaming becomes the new normal? One thing seems clear - the game for this kind of deal for consumers who want their sports may soon be over. And it may be a lesson for Sportsnet and TSN, as well.

Can ESPN survive while cable TV dies?

September 3, 2023 10:53 am  #9

In a few years, consumers will be paying more for streaming sports on ESPN than they ever did on cable.  And they will also hate the streamers more as they get nickel and dimed to death to watch programming that use to be free or bundled with their cable package. 

You are kidding yourself if you think picking and choosing what you want and only paying for this will save you money.  You will end up with much less choice and paying the same and in time more. 

Since our cable systems and sports networks are operated differently (for now) hard to say the impact for TSN and Sportsnet.  However it is interesting that already we have seen the sports networks here carry  programming that was only available on streamers in the US.  

September 11, 2023 1:39 pm  #10

Just in time for Monday Night Football on ESPN, Spectrum Cable and Disney have a deal....More from CNN.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/11/media/disney-charter-end-cable-blackout/index.html

September 11, 2023 2:03 pm  #11

Meanwhile, back in the skies...

DIRECTV vs. Nexstar: Why the Blackout Could Last For Several More Months 

My advice? If you can, get an antenna.

September 11, 2023 5:32 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

My advice? If you can, get an antenna.

Meh, IPTV is a great way to go...legal or not. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 11, 2023 5:45 pm  #13

This won't affect anyone in Canada, but I like this idea very much.  And it would certainly force cable and satellite providers in the U.S. to think twice before screwing consumers - although it could also result in higher prices if station owners hold them hostage to blackmail.

FCC Chair Proposes Rule Requiring Pay-TV Operators to Give Customers Refunds for Broadcast Blackouts