sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2023 12:26 pm  #1

Hear Bill Kelly Say Goodbye On CHML

The last show for the veteran broadcaster was on Monday and was mostly normal - until he thanked all his colleagues in a final sign-off. He admitted this was not his idea and that Corus had cancelled his long running show. Although he promises you haven't heard the last of him, you can hear his famous final words here.

August 15, 2023 7:27 am  #3

Re: Hear Bill Kelly Say Goodbye On CHML

I wondered when The Hamilton Spectator would do a story on this. They finally did on Tuesday. Kelly relates he was told about his impending doom when he was called to a meeting with HR. 

"When he heard the news, he says he was “shaken.

“It was a punch in the gut.”

But he wasn’t entirely unprepared for it. “I mean, we all know what’s going on in the business,” says Kelly. There’s a mindset at corporate, he opines, that “if you fire enough people it will help the bottom line.”

It's the second time he's been bounced from CHML. But Kelly doesn't believe he'll ever be back in traditional radio, because times, the medium and the companies that own them have all changed. 

Bill Kelly Show canceled: Veteran CHML Hamilton radio morning man signed off for good Monday

August 15, 2023 9:10 am  #4

Alex Pierson, who's replacing Bill Kelly on both CHML and CFPL, did a nice tribute to her departed friend at the top of her show Tuesday, possibly confusing Toronto listeners who may have no idea who he is or what happened to him.

But it was a decent thing to do as she tried to introduce herself to an audience used to a completely different voice in the time period. 

I just hope it doesn't change her show too much, which is often GTA-centric, something that likely won't mean much to listeners in London. 

August 15, 2023 7:01 pm  #5

Bill Kelly was also at K-Lite for a little while before he came back to CHML. I believe he was doing weekends and swing shifts. Not a talk show, but just music and announcing.

Best of luck to Bill in his future endeavors. We were co-workers during his first go-around at 'ML, and he was always a gentleman and offered good advice to younger broadcasters such as myself that was very useful.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

August 15, 2023 8:26 pm  #6

Even CHCH aired the news about Bill Kelly leaving CMHL which is nice. But still sad to see a Hamilton icon go.