sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2023 10:01 am  #1

Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?

It was exactly 20 years ago Monday that one of the biggest blackouts in history hit most of Eastern North America, pulling the plug for millions of people - including those in Toronto. Everyone has their own story about that fateful afternoon but for those in broadcasting, it was a special kind of hell. 

I will never forget the moment it started. We were ramping up for our 6 PM newscast and anyone who has ever been in a TV newsroom knows as every hour ticks by, it just gets more and more hectic. The place was already a madhouse, with phones ringing non-stop, tapes screeching back and forth in the editing bays, the Assignment Editor yelling out to the producer about some traffic accident or hot shot they might want for the show, people talking about stories they're working on and more. 

At exactly 4:11 PM, the power died. What stands out most to me wasn't the lights going out, it was the dead silence that followed. Everything stopped, including all the machines and all the conversations. There was at least 5-15 secs. of complete silence in the place unlike anything I'd ever heard (or not heard) before, as everyone tried to process what had just happened. But it seemed longer. 

What happened next was that the noise level immediately went back up, with producers barking orders about who to call, where it was going on and what should be done next. 

No one knew how long it would last or how widespread it was, but the worst scenario was that the power might come back on at 6, and nothing would be ready. 

To my astonishment, the station did not have an emergency power back-up. We were out and that was it. A few fast calls were made and I believe they managed to secure a mobile studio from Dome Productions, which was normally used for coverage of Jays' games. A few minutes later, it lumbered into the parking lot and all the equipment they could lug outside was put into the outdoor space, with VTRs and monitors among the first to be plugged in to the remote unit.

Slowly, the scope of the problem became evident. This wasn't a Toronto Hydro issue, it was a good chunk of the continent. And it wouldn't be over anytime soon. Despite the fact almost no one could see us with no power to operate a TV (there was no real streaming to speak of in 2003) our producer insisted we would still go on at 6, even though the entire line-up had to be thrown out and new stories done about the blackout - what happened, how bad it was, how are people coping on a blazing hot day, how are they getting home with no subway, when it might come back on, etc. etc. 

And so the editors worked on cutting items about the Big Story, knowing no one would ever see them. It was an insane day and one I'll never forget. 

If you were working in broadcasting that afternoon, what were your experiences? Were you able to stay on the air? And how crazy did it get with so little information about what was going on? And if you were a listener, where did you go for the latest updates?

Twenty years is a long time. But for me, it seems like yesterday when the powers-that-be became the power-that-wasn't. And it was one my strangest days at work ever, readying a show we knew no one would ever see.  

August 13, 2023 10:08 am  #2

Re: Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?

By the way, this item from the Canadian Press relives that day, including something that seems amazingly ironic now. 

A news director for a Belleville radio station in 2003 remembers he wasn't actually at the studio when everything went dark. 

"After working the morning shift, he was golfing with friends when word got out the power for the entire eastern seaboard had shut down.“

I then quickly jumped in my car and headed into the radio station,” he recalled.

When he arrived at the station, he realized the blackout was far bigger than a local story.

“It was just very surreal to see every traffic light out, and not just in places like Belleville and Trenton, but right across the province and a large portion of North America,” he said.

So who was it that was in the middle of the Belleville blackout? It was Todd Smith, who currently happens to be Ontario's Energy Minister, a guy who might now know a thing or two about power outages.

How the worst blackout in North America played out in Ontario

August 13, 2023 10:29 am  #3

Not in radio, but just an office worker.  I was in the office, on the 9th floor of a downtown Toronto building.  Didn't even grab my laptop thinking it was a temporary thing and left the office.  I did, however, bring a cassette/radio walkman-type device I had in my drawer, grabbed two AAA batteries from reception and walked to the ground floor.  Waited around the base of the building like a regular fire drill, didn't get any updates as most radio stations weren't working.  Was then eventually told to go home.

Since there was no subway service, I started to walk... some radio stations did eventually come back, and found out it was a power outage.  Still didn't know the extend of the outage. I think I listened to 680 News at the time.  In the end, I walked from York & Wellington all the way up to Yonge & Shepherd.  It took about four hours or so.  Asked someone to pick me up and eventually went home around 9 PM.

I was working at a data centre at the time and someone that night went out and took a picture of the building and the data centre was the only floor of the entire building that had lights.  The company eventually turned that into a marketing campaign.  We had a few diesel generators on the roof of the building and I think they filled those suckers three times during the outage.  None of our customers suffered any downtime.

Last edited by chrishch (August 13, 2023 10:32 am)

August 13, 2023 11:18 am  #4

In London, the power went out at the same time as everyone else, but we were only out for about six hours. Power was back between 10 and 11pm.

During the evening I listened to CJBK (RIP) for awhile, they were live taking calls. I think they had Steve Garrison come in for that shift, though I might be mistaken.

In terms of print media, I recall the London Free Press managed to put out a paper on time the next morning. The front page was a bunch of people tossing salad in a dark kitchen.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (August 13, 2023 11:20 am)

August 13, 2023 1:02 pm  #5

Luckily, we were cottaging out in PEI.  We got to watch the blackout news on tiny 12' Black&White TV.  The clips of the crowded streets of all the folks walking home was surreal. 

August 13, 2023 1:28 pm  #6

You don't know the half of it. I was stuck downtown when the subways went out, but was lucky enough to hitch a ride home with one of our senior producers, who had driven down that day. She took the wheel and headed into a fully blacked out downtown core, with no traffic lights after sundown.

It took tremendous concentration to remember to treat all of them like a four-way stop and to be honest, sometimes she missed a few. There were dozens and dozens of them along the way, most of which were hidden in the dark. 

But that's not all. Pedestrians also didn't have the benefit of the walk/don't walk signs, so they were all over the road at any given minute, going from one side to the other and you couldn't see them. Suddenly, they would appear in the headlights right in front of her, forcing her to jam on the brakes. And she wasn't even going fast, maybe 20, 30 or 40 at most.

It was the scariest and longest ride home I've ever had and I'm still not quite sure how she didn't hit anybody.  

August 13, 2023 3:43 pm  #7

I had just walked out of the bank when all the lights went off. I switched on CHML and they were off the air.  Then went to 680 News and found out about the big blackout which lasted until about 7 am the the next day if I recall correctly. I remember who bright the stars were that night with no artificial light to dull them. 

August 13, 2023 4:31 pm  #8

I was at home in Mississauga with my toddler. My husband worked at the Toronto Star’s Vaughan press plant at the time, and he was called in - I *think* they ran a special edition that day? Can’t honestly remember though. We live under the flight path of air traffic into and out of Pearson, and I remember how the flashing lights lit up the rooms as the planes flew over our house.

August 13, 2023 4:35 pm  #9

I was on day 4 of a new job in Kitchener. 

Traffic was barely moving, as the lights were out across the city.

I was brand new to the city and barely knew my way around so finding less busy routes that would get me closer to home was a challenge. A 20 minute commute turned into about an hour.

Our power came back on at about 2 AM the next morning.

August 13, 2023 4:40 pm  #10

I was in the studio at 94.9 FM The Rock. Stayed there until the midnight hour arrived. I think I remember driving home in the dark. And as I drove down through the Church and Bloor area the streets were full of folks attempting to escape the darkness. It seemed celabratory.

August 13, 2023 5:51 pm  #11

We lived in Oshawa at the time. Our neighbourhood lost power for over two days.

We were already planning a move, and once we landed at the new address, I immediately purchased a whole-home 12Kw natural gas generator. Did all the installation and hookups except for the final electrical and gas connections. We had professionals do that.

It has saved our bacon several times since then, including running for 54 hours straight during the massive ice storm of 2013.

It's a great feeling to cook dinner, watch movies and sit in a warm home while everyone around is shivering in the dark. Several neighbours slept overnight and ate meals with us. A whole-home generator is the way to go...especially if you're on a well and have a sump-pump.

August 13, 2023 6:50 pm  #12

This is way off topic for the board, but I have to ask - how much did that install cost you? I looked into a Generac a few years ago and was quoted a price of $10,000 minimum. Too rich for my blood, as much as I hate blackouts. 

August 13, 2023 7:24 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

This is way off topic for the board, but I have to ask - how much did that install cost you? I looked into a Generac a few years ago and was quoted a price of $10,000 minimum. Too rich for my blood, as much as I hate blackouts. 

RA, back in 2006, I bought the 12 Kw generator for CA$2,700 from Costco. It was sold under the brandname Honeywell, but it's a Generac inside.

I brought it home in a pickup, unloaded it with a portable engine hoist I own, and placed it on a pad I prepared ahead of time. Next, I dug a trench to run the natural gas and electrical lines to the house, inside a 'BIG O' pipe.

Finally, I added the (price included) transfer switch and then called the professionals to make the final connections. Gas fitter and electrician cost $350.00

Total self-contracted cost was just over $3,000.00

August 13, 2023 8:05 pm  #14

I was at work on the phone, talking to a client in New York when she said the power just went out.  It was a bit after 4pm.  About 15 seconds later our power in downtown Kitchener went out.  

Oddly enough where I live in Kitchener, the power was only off for about two hours.  I was sitting on the deck in my backyard reading the paper, and at about 6:20 our power came on.  And it stayed on.
Even a few blocks away some areas had no power for much longer. 

It interesting the reports on TV of people directing traffic, and in other parts of town neighbours having a street party.  CTV Toronto had Lloyd Robertson in a darkened studio at 6:30 with a spotlight on him.  Pretty interesting since they were able to go to some live reports in downtown Toronto. 

August 13, 2023 8:33 pm  #15

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

RA, back in 2006, I bought the 12 Kw generator for CA$2,700 from Costco. It was sold under the brandname Honeywell, but it's a Generac inside.

I brought it home in a pickup, unloaded it with a portable engine hoist I own, and placed it on a pad I prepared ahead of time. Next, I dug a trench to run the natural gas and electrical lines to the house, inside a 'BIG O' pipe.

Finally, I added the (price included) transfer switch and then called the professionals to make the final connections. Gas fitter and electrician cost $350.00

I wouldn't have the knowledge to do any of what you did safely. Thus the extra cost. But congrats on a great deal. That's true peace of mind. 

paterson1 wrote:

Oddly enough where I live in Kitchener, the power was only off for about two hours.  I was sitting on the deck in my backyard reading the paper, and at about 6:20 our power came on.  And it stayed on.

You definitely were one of the lucky ones. As I recall, my power was off for almost two days, which meant trying to sleep in sweltering temperatures, as well as losing a lot of the contents in my fridge and freezer. But the power at work was back on, so at least we had that by the time I got down there. Never been so happy to have A/C!

August 13, 2023 9:56 pm  #16

I was at home that day. It must have been during my vacation time. I didn't know the power had gone out because I was working out in the yard. I was digging in the ground and our nextdoor neighbour came over. He thought I must have severed an underground cable.

I sat out on our front step listening to my Grundig wind up radio. My neighbour was envious so I loaned him the radio. I had plenty of other radios and plenty of batteries in the house.

It was a great day for AM radio because there was no man made noise or interference.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 13, 2023 11:28 pm  #17

I live a block or so off Yonge St. so when it happened it wasn't hard to see the hundreds of people walking north because the subway cut out.   Joined some friends (Bell landline still worked) for a walk down a mostly deserted and dark Yonge from St. Clair to Bloor / Yorkville stopping by bars on the way for beers until finally ending up at Hemingway's where they had juice.   Some blocks had power, others not.   I remember staying up listening to Spider Jones on 1010 with my battery powered radio, and the next day headed to Mosport for a big weekend event that was packed with people arriving early to camp, loaded down with their freezer contents ready to BBQ!   I've never eaten better up there in my life.    Had a hard time finding gas stations with working pumps so it was a tight go for a while.   Everyone in town and at the track were in great spirits and some said they'd like it to happen a few more times, but only in warm weather.   I remember being enormously relieved that I withdrew $200 from the ATM that afternoon because cash was King.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (August 14, 2023 12:25 am)

August 13, 2023 11:40 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I wouldn't have the knowledge to do any of what you did safely. Thus the extra cost. But congrats on a great deal. That's true peace of mind. 

paterson1 wrote:

You definitely were one of the lucky ones. As I recall, my power was off for almost two days, which meant trying to sleep in sweltering temperatures, as well as losing a lot of the contents in my fridge and freezer. But the power at work was back on, so at least we had that by the time I got down there. Never been so happy to have A/C!

An interesting and low cost alternative are batteries instead of the Generac generators.    They're mostly the same Lithium ones used in EVs, often upcylcled used from vehicles.   It depends on what you want to power with the system and sounds good for the essentials.  Alternately many people with EVs can hook a DC to AC converter up to their car and power their vital appliances like fridges / freezers, TV / radio and in some cases air conditioning for a few days the same way. 

Last edited by SpinningWheel (August 13, 2023 11:44 pm)

August 13, 2023 11:48 pm  #19

Former CTV anchor Lisa LaFlamme is among those remembering for the Toronto Star what happened that day - and night - and how she covered it . 

‘I did a news hit by candlelight’: How Lisa LaFlamme and other prominent Torontonians spent the 2003 blackout

August 13, 2023 11:50 pm  #20

SpinningWheel wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

An interesting and low cost alternative are batteries instead of the Generac generators.    They're mostly the same Lithium ones used in EVs, often upcylcled used from vehicles.   It depends on what you want to power with the system and sounds good for the essentials.  Alternately many people with EVs can hook a DC to AC converter up to their car and power their vital appliances like fridges / freezers, TV / radio and in some cases air conditioning for a few days the same way. 

I'm not sure that will work for me, but I"m intrigued enough to at least look into it further. Thanks. 

August 14, 2023 7:52 am  #21

Longtime CFRB's staffers are recalling that on that day, they were the only station still left on the air, thanks to having a back-up generator. 

I wonder if that's true. I find it hard to believe no other station in town had any power source on standby just in case. Wasn't 680 also able to stay on? 

Frankly, it was such a hectic night, I can't quite remember what I listened to in the dark. There wasn't much else you could do than turn on the radio - another reason the medium is so vital in an emergency. But I do recall CFRB being the station I tuned into for updates most often.

August 14, 2023 8:07 am  #22

A former radio jock recorded "snippets" of Toronto radio stations on his battery operated tape recorder, on Aug. 15th, the day after the big outage. They're featured on the Internet Archive site, and includes time machine-like recordings from such stalwarts as Bill Carroll on CFRB, 680 News (as it was then called), CKTB St. Catharines and the old late and lamented Mojo Radio over on 640.

It certainly brings the real time frustration of the morning after right back as if it happened yesterday.

Hear them all here. 

And for those closer to the border, here's video from WDIV-TV in Detroit, which managed to stay on the air during the outage, although it's hard to say if anyone could actually watch them. In fact, at one point, one of the anchors addresses "the two people" who might be watching on a battery-operated TV. 

From the Vault: Detroit local news coverage of 2003 Northeast Blackout

August 14, 2023 8:19 am  #23

I was in Ottawa at the time. Since it was near quitting time, a bunch of us walked down 17 floors to start the trek home. The blackout had knocked out power to the downtown core, which meant stoplights were out and traffic was at a near standstill. I remember walking home and seeing ordinary citizens working as traffic cops at major intersections.
Local radio was a mixed bag. I didn't really start to listen until the evening and the city's "news/talk leader" had a member of the local clergy on to host a weekly show on religious tolerance. While I'm sure the man of the cloth was a nice guy and all, he was completely overwhelmed by what was happening, especially when callers started to contradict each other about which areas had power and those that didn't.
We wound up tuning into CBC Radio 1, which went on an Ontario wide hook-up that night. There were terrifying stories of people trapped in high-rise buildings who needed to get out (including one woman on a kidney dialysis machine who was afraid she was going to die), but there were also stories of people reaching out to help others, such as a frail elderly lady who had fallen in the dark and who's neighbours came in during the broadcast to make sure she was OK. 
Our power was out for two days, but fortunately, the lights never went out across the river in Gatineau, so we were able to drive over the river to pick up non-perishable food to keep us sustained. I do remember the cops showing up when the kids in the neighbourhood started a huge bonfire in someone's front yard.

August 14, 2023 10:25 am  #24

Here's a look back from 5 years ago that City tv did on the blackout.  https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2018/08/14/your-memories-of-the-2003-blackout/

August 14, 2023 10:29 am  #25

I'll give City TV credit for one thing - a year after they did that "newscast that nobody saw because of the blackout," they put the entire show up on their Internet site. That was in 2004 - I doubt it's still there, but it was a great idea on the first anniversary of the story.  

August 14, 2023 10:30 am  #26

RadioActive wrote:

Longtime CFRB's staffers are recalling that on that day, they were the only station still left on the air, thanks to having a back-up generator. 

I wonder if that's true. I find it hard to believe no other station in town had any power source on standby just in case. Wasn't 680 also able to stay on? 

Frankly, it was such a hectic night, I can't quite remember what I listened to in the dark. There wasn't much else you could do than turn on the radio - another reason the medium is so vital in an emergency. But I do recall CFRB being the station I tuned into for updates most often.

1050CHUM was on the air, too!   I was working that night making sure that all the equipment was working.  The generators at the CN Tower failed so none of the fm’s or tv stations that
had their transmitters there were on the air. 

Once we realized it was going to be a long night, we all got into a routine.  I checked that generator many times and also our links to CP24, as we had access to all of those reporters they had in the field.  Assisted the newsroom as needed.

We set up speakers on Yonge Street playing 1050 and handed out every bottle of water we had to people walking up the street.  I remember people standing outside the building listening trying to get information. 

Looking down Yonge street was very strange.  It was dark except for a few buildings that had emergency power.  A few floors of the taller buildings were lit up and when the power started to return, they did it in segments.  We could see the power come on a few blocks at a time.  We got power back at 1:30 AM and CFRB was just shortly after that.  We were able to get CHUM FM back on then, too, as it had power to its alternate site return.

August 14, 2023 10:45 am  #27

I was working at BN/CP in the radio syndication studio when the power went out. I remember my shift was supposed to end at 5 p.m. Not that day. I switched into news gathering mode and stayed well into the night.

Fortunately we had had a new generator installed in the basement parking garage and it kicked in within minutes. When our computers came back online we found out just how big of a blackout it was, and more importantly how big a story it was.
Needless to say it was all hands on deck as we did our best to cover the story. Because we had clients across the country who were not affected, we kept pumping out the audio and copy for them while sending reporters out on the streets to cover the story.

I do remember that the generator provided enough power to let us do our jobs, but we lost the luxury of air conditioning.  And of course the windows didn't open so the air was stale and sweltering. At some point blue recycling boxes appeared full of ice and soft drinks and food was provided, which we all appreciated.

I finally got out around 11 p.m. and was able to drive home. By then the streets had cleared out quite a bit so I didn't have much trouble with traffic or pedestrians. It was an eerie drive home though.

My house was like an oven, but I was just glad to get home. By morning the hydro was back on and thankfully the A/C had kicked in.

Looking back it was a difficult experience, but I'm proud of our staff for pulling together to provide a much needed service.

Last edited by Tq345 (August 14, 2023 10:47 am)

August 14, 2023 12:09 pm  #28

I ran an IT department back then.  The servers (abourt 12 or so) were plugged into a stand-by battery backup and it gave us 45 minutes to gracefully shut the servers down.  Meanwhile, one of the employees, who was the union stewart, was running around the office ranting and raving about how this was Mike Harris' fault.  Strangely enough, she was nowhere to be found when the real reason came to light.

Once the servers were safely put to bed I plugged in a portable radio I had in the office and thanks to CFRB and the incredible coverage of Mark Elliot.

Fortunately, I drove in that day.  However, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to place a call.  I tried calling my wife on the cell phone but the towers were incredibly congested.  All you could do is keep trying until you lucked out.  Eventually, I did and we made arrangements for me to swing by and pick her up -- whenever I got there.  She and a few other people were waiting and we started heading up Yonge Street towards North York.  Needless to say it was long drive.  We got home around 7:00.  There was a nearby meat store that was selling off what product it had dirt cheap just to get it out the door.  We had some nice not so coldcuts and bread for dinner. 

I couldn't believe how quiet everything was.

August 14, 2023 1:20 pm  #29

RadioActive wrote:

I remember listening to 680 on my car radio, so CFRB definitely wasn’t the only one on the air.

August 14, 2023 4:55 pm  #30

I like my friend's answer when I asked him what he remembered about that day:
"Nothing. I think I was in the middle of a blackout!"