sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2023 7:23 am  #1

Jays Will Be MIA On Sportsnet Two Fridays In A Row

You won't be able to relax with a beer and watch the Jays' game on Sportsnet for the next two Fridays. Like in previous months, AppleTV+ is the only outlet carrying Friday's game at the Dome between the Jays and the Cubs. But it's not the only pre-weekend interruption. It turns out there's another Friday game next week too, when the team travels to Cincinnati. 

It's the latest example of the deal taking a match away from local fans who aren't AppleTV+ subscribers. I heard Ben Wagner make reference to the interruptions during Thursday's day game in Cleveland, noting he's heard that "fans aren't happy." Not a surprise. 

But he also added that radio is the only way to follow the game without actually being there, and they'll be on the Fan to make sure all the action is covered. As for the TV side, you'll be seeing men's tennis this Friday, and the Seattle Mariners taking on the Houston Astros the week after.  

August 11, 2023 11:22 am  #2

Re: Jays Will Be MIA On Sportsnet Two Fridays In A Row

Don't blame Sportsnet.  This is a MLB deal.  All teams chosen by Apple to be televised are treated the same way,
Profits before people.

August 11, 2023 11:47 am  #3

Yes, for once, this is not a Rogers problem. In fact, I'm quite sure they're the ones who are the least pleased by the arrangement and probably get bombarded with email complaints and phone calls when the games don't appear. 

August 11, 2023 5:15 pm  #4

The good news is that next Friday's Jays vs. Reds game will be the last Jays game that will air on Apple TV+ this season. The Apple TV+ schedule for September has been released and the Jays are not on it.

August 11, 2023 5:19 pm  #5

You should be able to get the Jays game on MLB66. Make sure your VPN is not set for Canada or the U.S. Japan works for me.

August 11, 2023 7:33 pm  #6

https://www1.ihdstreams.xyz/P/MLB/ch6.php 

Last edited by g121 (August 11, 2023 7:34 pm)

August 11, 2023 8:01 pm  #7

Kind of ironic to hear a frequently repeated promo on the radio during the first Cubs' match asking, "Hazel Mae: Where can you see the Blue Jays play?"

And the answer is "Sportsnet."

Not on Friday it isn't. 

Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds. I might have pulled the promo for the night but it's been on the Fan 590 almost every break in the game.

August 11, 2023 8:22 pm  #8

since when did the americans care about canada?

August 12, 2023 8:14 am  #9

Thanks for this site. I was able to find the Jays game on MLB66, but the buffering made it impossible to watch.

August 12, 2023 9:36 am  #10

As mentioned by Ale Not this is an MLB thing. I'm amused by how entitled everyone seems to be about seeing EVERY game for free. There was a time when we were lucky to get a game a week, now every game is available and people get hissy when heaven forbid they have to pay for it. Get used to it folks. Streaming is the future, it won't be free, so get used to it.

August 12, 2023 9:56 am  #11

mace wrote:

Thanks for this site. I was able to find the Jays game on MLB66, but the buffering made it impossible to watch.

even though i'm able to pretty much find an "alternative" stream for any sports event i'm interested, i willing pay full pop for full Sportsnet & TSN channels to support our local teams.

i do resent having some of the games i've already paid for "stolen" to air on some other platform.

the corporate suits need to pay attention .. try to splinter stuff off to too many separate platforms, some folks, like me, will just say "F'it", i'll just drop my subscriptions & go whole hog on "alternate" streams.

Last edited by g121 (August 12, 2023 9:57 am)

August 12, 2023 11:43 am  #12

I also am also a cable subscriber, so I do pay for my TSN's and Sportsnet's.  However, it is nice to find streaming sites that give me access to the ESPN/TBS/TNT/USA etc. channels which are not and never will be available to Canadian viewers.  It is also nice to have access to the U.S. nets without simsub issues.

August 18, 2023 5:03 pm  #13

This is the second Friday in a row that Apple+ broadcasts the Jays. It could be my imagination but
they seem to have scooped more than their share this year of the local team’s games. Possibly
because I don’t enjoy the games on Apple. Sportsnet TV does a much better job, in just about every
way I can think of. I’m a fan of the home team, in more ways than one.

August 18, 2023 7:35 pm  #14

another Apple+ MLB night ... grrrrrrrrrrr ..

finally found a decent stream that would Chromecast ..
https://cricfree.live/live/stream-4   

August 18, 2023 8:46 pm  #15

g121 wrote:

This feed for me had Tigers/White Sox.

August 18, 2023 8:52 pm  #16

mace wrote:

g121 wrote:

At the top of the screen, hit stream 2. 

August 18, 2023 9:24 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

mace wrote:

g121 wrote:

At the top of the screen, hit stream 2. 

Thank you. That worked. Lousy finish though.