sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2023 1:47 pm  #1

Who Would You Nominate As The Greatest Rock Radio Rivals Of All Time?

It was back in the day when three companies didn't run every radio station in town. When an owner had control of maybe one or two outlets, it made everyone compete - and that instantly made them all better. 

I'm thinking about the glory days of AM Top 40 radio and the rivalries between stations in various cities. But who had the greatest back-and-forth battle of them all? It's a tough question I was thinking about while walking the dog the other day. (More proof I have no life, but you gotta do something while he's sniffing at the 400th tree trunk in 10 minutes.)

CHUM vs. CFTR was a good one, although it was at the tail end of both of their time in the format. (Maybe CHUM and CKOC earlier than that?)

WKBW vs. WGR in Buffalo was another, although they both could not have been more different from each other. 

On the west coast, I've heard CKLG and CFUN in Vancouver used to bash each other's brains in during their mutual existence, but I never got the chance to hear either of them.

On a smaller market scale, CJBK and CKSL in London were great battlers, with each making the other better.  

Some simply had no real rival. Although CKLW faced a ton of competitors over the years, I'm not sure if anyone ever really could overcome their signal and talent strength in Detroit. Same with KHJ in L.A., which faced a lot of challengers in its Boss Radio heyday, but really, no one did it better. Not to mention WABC, the most listened to station on the continent during the Top 40 era, although WMCA, a much weaker signal, gave them a run for their money. (To be honest, I prefered the Fabulous 57, even if I couldn't get it here. But whenever I visited my sister in the Big Apple, that's what I turned to.)

But which two made for the biggest rivals? I'll admit I couldn't possibly have heard every station in every state or  Canada, but if I had to choose just one pair, it would probably be WLS vs. WCFL in Chicago. 

Think of it - two 50,0000 watt powerhouses with some of the best talent in the country, receivable in dozens of states and Canada, each competing for a giant audience head on. If I had to pick just one for the honour, it would be those two. They were both legendary. And that's why I would nominate them as the greatest radio rivals of all time.  

August 1, 2023 1:53 pm  #2

Re: Who Would You Nominate As The Greatest Rock Radio Rivals Of All Time?

RadioActive wrote:

It was back in the day when three companies didn't run every radio station in town. When an owner had control of maybe one or two outlets, it made everyone compete - and that instantly made them all better. 

How many commercial radio operators were active in Toronto then vs. Today?

August 1, 2023 1:58 pm  #3

I grew up in the Owend Sound area. Back when CKEY was a top forty station it used to get up into that area during the day, CHUM, not so much.

The big power house up there was CKLW. It reigned during the day and at night too. But at night it had competition from the likes of WLS, WBZ and WABC.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 1, 2023 1:59 pm  #4

Remember when HTZ-FM was wiping the floor with Q107? Good times.

August 1, 2023 2:28 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Just off the top of my rapidly thinning head, CHUM (AM & FM) was privately owned by the Waters family, CKOC belonged to Armadale Communications, CFRB & CKFM were in the hands of Standard, CHFI AM & FM were Rogers properties, CKEY was first owned by Jack Kent Cooke and then MacLean-Hunter, CKFH was Foster Hewitt's, CHIC-AM Brampton was run (into the ground) by the Allen Brothers, Radio Richmond Hill controlled CFGM, CKLB-AM in Oshawa was a George Grant outlet, and all the major Buffalo stations, including WKBW, WGR, WEBR, WBEN-AM & FM and WYSL, had different owners.

Today, we have two FMs and AMs in Rogers' hands (CHFI and Kiss-FM 92.5, CityNews 680, The Fan 590) Bell owning CFRB, TSN 1050 and two other FMs, Virgin and CHUM-FM, (with, for now at least, CKOC and CHAM in nearby Hamilton) and Corus has its mitts on AM 640 and Q107 and CFNY in Toronto, as well as CING and CHML in Hamilton. And I've probably left out a few other multiple owners.

August 1, 2023 3:45 pm  #6

If out west counts
1960s and 1970s CKY and CKRC and CFRW in Winnipeg
1960s CHED and CJCA in Edmonton - Mike Marshall was on both sides and Doug Thompson was listening and worked at CJCA
August 1964 to 1984/85 CKLG and CFUN in Vancouver

Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .

August 1, 2023 4:14 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Just off the top of my rapidly thinning head, CHUM (AM & FM) was privately owned by the Waters family, CKOC belonged to Armadale Communications, CFRB & CKFM were in the hands of Standard, CHFI AM & FM were Rogers properties, CKEY was first owned by Jack Kent Cooke and then MacLean-Hunter, CKFH was Foster Hewitt's, CHIC-AM Brampton was run (into the ground) by the Allen Brothers, Radio Richmond Hill controlled CFGM, CKLB-AM in Oshawa was a George Grant outlet, and all the major Buffalo stations, including WKBW, WGR, WEBR, WBEN-AM & FM and WYSL, had different owners.

OK, if we stick to stations in the Toronto ratings, and in the English language that's 6 operators.

Today, we have:
Bell
Corus
Rogers
Stingray
Zoomer
Central Ontario Broadcasting
Intercity
Evanov

August 1, 2023 4:38 pm  #8

As a listener back then, I can't just keep it to the Toronto 6 you listed, because I tuned to Buffalo all the time, back when they were still a Top 25 market. That expands it in my personal experience to at least 12 owners, a far cry from what we have of the cookie-cutter stations today, all playing virtually the same format in the exact same way. 

Back then, they had character, different personalities, format wrinkles and - as noted - going head to head against each other made them all do better lest the guy behind overtook them. CKFH sounded vastly different from CHUM in its approach, despite both having the same format and playing relatively the same tunes. It was great having that choice. 

Today, I just don't see that same determination to outdo the station down the dial and it shows in their overall programming. If it makes money, that's all that matters. It doesn't have to actually be great radio, just blah but profitable. I honestly can't hear much difference between say, Virgin 99.9 and CHUM-FM, although I'll confess they're not high on my list of stations I tune in a lot. 

It was a very different time economically for the business admittedly and we could argue this with no resolution forever, but I believe looking behind you as the other guy was gaining on you made you perform better. I know it motivated many of us at CFTR during its rock days, when CHUM was still in its heyday. That rivalry made everyone improve because we really wanted to beat the shit out of them. And vice versa. And eventually, we did.

I just don't hear that in today's strike-up-the-bland-everyone-sounds-the-same formats. (Although I'll give Boom credit for breaking the mold somewhat. It's a great sounding station with good production elements that make it stand out.)  

August 1, 2023 4:58 pm  #9

In its early top 40 days, CKFH was handicapped with a weak night signal plus weekend Italian and religious programming.

August 1, 2023 5:33 pm  #10

A problem they wisely started to correct by 1971.

August 1, 2023 5:59 pm  #11

A couple of other good rivals in the day were CFRA and CFGO in Ottawa, both good top 40 stations.  CJRC a french top 40 station also out of Ottawa didn't have a lot of commercials and played a lot of english top 40.

Montreal had CKGM and CFOX for english audiences but also had success attracting francophones who enjoyed contemporary english music. 

In Hamilton CKOC and CHAM battled directly for about 10 years.  However CKOC had been playing top 40 for a decade when CHAM switched to top 40 in 1970. 

WCFL and WLS also only battled each other for a little more than 10 years.  WLS went full time top 40 in 1960, and WCFL didn't get into the format until 1965.  It is interesting that in less than two years WCFL unseated WLS as the number one top 40 station in Chicago.  Many felt that WLS had become a little complacent since they had the top 40 market to itself for two years prior to WCFL flipping format.  In the mid 70's WCFL was sliding badly to WLS.  Super CFL dropped top 40 for beautiful music in 1976, and WLS again had the top 40 market in Chicago (at least on AM) to itself again. 

Disagree that CHUM and CFTR were rivals only at the tail end of their time in top 40.  They actually started to get serious around 1975, after TR changed format about three years earlier.  In 1976 TR put out a music chart to battle the CHUM chart.  CFTR was becoming a more serious contender to CHUM and gaining in the ratings. They also copied CHUM's Starsign with their own  $30,000 button contest.  The big rivalery between TR and CHUM was well establlished long before John Landecker came to town in 1981-83.  

CFTR was hardly at the end of their top 40 days when CHUM packed it in.  CFTR remained with the format for seven more years. 

Last edited by paterson1 (August 1, 2023 7:06 pm)

August 1, 2023 7:48 pm  #12

None of these were Rock radio stations. They were Top 40 / CHR that in the day played a wide variety of Pop / AC/ Rock titles but were not exclusively Rock. True Rock radio started with "Progressive Rock" on FM. This harkens back to stations like CHUM-FM, it's nemesis Q107 and of course CHOM-FM Montreal  and CHEZ-FM in Ottawa, But never CHUM-AM, CFTR etc.

August 1, 2023 7:57 pm  #13

Bristol, true progressive stations were not exclusive rock either but in a good way as you could hear classical, jazz, folk, bluegrass and other forms on music on them. When those progressives got dumbed down to AOR is when you could say they were exclusively Rock.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 1, 2023 11:38 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Back then, they had character, different personalities, format wrinkles and - as noted - going head to head against each other made them all do better lest the guy behind overtook them. CKFH sounded vastly different from CHUM in its approach, despite both having the same format and playing relatively the same tunes. It was great having that choice. 

Today, I just don't see that same determination to outdo the station down the dial and it shows in their overall programming. If it makes money, that's all that matters. It doesn't have to actually be great radio, just blah but profitable. I honestly can't hear much difference between say, Virgin 99.9 and CHUM-FM, although I'll confess they're not high on my list of stations I tune in a lot. 

And honestly, as a listener who just missed the era you're talking about, all the airchecks from those stations sound the same to me now. You take in more detail when you're engaged in the here and now than with things you're not interested in.

Stations went "head-to-head" because there was LESS competition, making who you're competing against that more obvious. It was also a time when calling out competitors and boasting wins was effective marketing. Today, it's considered tacky, or as the kids would say "cringe."

August 2, 2023 12:18 am  #15

Of course it was a product of its time, just as today's radio will sound old fashioned by 2040 (if radio still exists by then.) But you know what else it was? Fresh, original and new. The airchecks do not do it justice. It was the entire presentation that made it work, with each station carving out its own identity in the market. 

What, exactly is the identity of CHFI? Or CHUM-FM? Or Kiss 92.5? To me, they all sound exactly the same give or take a few minor tweaks and morning shows.

To me, whether it be radio, operating a restaurant or running a grocery store, competition makes you better, because you have to be to beat the other guy. Then he ups his game, forcing you to do the same. And everyone improves. It's just a fact of business. I saw it myself at CFTR.

It's the same with cell phone service in Canada. Three de facto firms run everything and in a sort of unspoken collusion cabal, no one offers you a truly good deal, like they have in other countries.  

But 3 or 4 more truly independents would force the Big 3 to change their ways or lose most of their clients. Why do you think they struggle so hard to keep them out of the country or buy up the little guys? They don't want competitors.

Radio has gone the same route. Everyone sounds the same for the most part so no one has to spend any money improving themselves. And it all gets stale. It's not the radio many of us grew up with and fell in love with, leading us to a career in the industry. 

Allan Waters was a smart businessman, smart enough to know he knew little about radio, so he hired the best in the biz who did. And he got rich because of it. Today, the Rogers and Bells don't care to pay the money for great talent, although some still break through. The bean counters are fully in charge and what you hear reflects it. Rerolls would have been unthinkable a few years ago. Now they take up much of the airtime after 6 PM.

My final point is that, back in the day, the accountants weren't in charge. But those who were knew spending more meant eventually making more. Now they simply care only about the cost and since quality isn't an issue, everyone aims for the bottom. (And the bottom line.) The rest doesn't matter. And boy, does it sound like it.

I don't lament the so called "Good old days of radio," because I'm old or because I'm a curmudgeon. It was demonstrably better because those in charge cared about the product coming out of that speaker. I'm not sure they do anymore, beyond the yearly ledger. And while they're richer, we as listeners (and workers) are all poorer for it. 

Wow, has this drifted away from the original thread about the best radio rivalries. I still like WLS vs. Super CFL. We will not see a battle like that ever again. 

August 2, 2023 7:28 am  #16

Bristol wrote:

None of these were Rock radio stations. They were Top 40 / CHR that in the day played a wide variety of Pop / AC/ Rock titles but were not exclusively Rock. True Rock radio started with "Progressive Rock" on FM. This harkens back to stations like CHUM-FM, it's nemesis Q107 and of course CHOM-FM Montreal  and CHEZ-FM in Ottawa, But never CHUM-AM, CFTR etc.

Material played by both 1050 CHUM and 580 CKEY between 1957 and 1964 was variously referred to as "hit parade" and "rock & roll" music.    You are obviously a younger person, Bristol, and your recollection of the rise of "true rock" radio is correct, in hindsight.    That was a decade after the height of the CHUM/CKEY rivalry.    (Those were the days)

August 2, 2023 8:27 am  #17

Actually the CHUM/CKEY rivalry was legendary.  Of course there was the battle of who was the real "Beatle's Station."  I think it was CHUM that was able to play the same song three or four minutes before CKEY a few times.  I remember my older brother pointing this out.  You would hear a song on CHUM, and then about two minutes later the same song came on CKEY. Was there a mole at CKEY feeding CHUM their playlists??  Or was it the other way around?

I heard a story, and Doug Thompson could verify, that CHUM once ran promos stating that they were changing format to beautiful music and dropping rock and roll.  Apparently Jack Kent Cooke took the bait and flipped CKEY to beautiful music to make the format change before CHUM.  Naturally CHUM had no intention of changing their music and never did.  CKEY quickly went back to top 40 when they realized they had been duped by their main competitor.

And of course CHUM's legendary morning man Al Boliska moving to CKEY from CHUM must have been huge back in 1963. 

In fairness, there is just a lot more radio now than 50 years ago.  I think morning shows are just as competitive as they have always been.  Only difference is that there are a lot more stations now and the big morning shows aren't as dominate as in the days of Wally Crouter, Jay Nelson and Jim Bradey. The exception might be CBC radio.  However CBC radio is much more popular now than 50 years ago.  

Even here in Kitchener/Waterloo our local CBC Radio One station bills themselves as having the regions number one morning show.  Morning man Craig Norris has been at the helm for 10 years.  He is pretty good and can balance the serious stuff with a bit of humour.  They have lots of local information every morning, and that's what many want. 

August 2, 2023 11:47 am  #18

This sound laughably archaic now but when CFUN and CKLG battled each other CFUN pulled off a big coup.
It was when the new Elton John and Kiki Dee song "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" came out.
It was not yet released in Canada so CFUN flew an employee down to Los Angeles to go and buy a copy of the 45.
They then put it on a cart and played the shit out of it while more or less saying "in your face" to 'LG.
Now that's old school radio.

August 2, 2023 12:01 pm  #19

Beg to differ on the Elton John/Kiki Dee song. I was the Music Director for CKLG at the time. We were regularly serviced with US releases by Brenneman Radio Services out of Woodland Hills, CA. Betty Brenneman was aware of the radio wars between LG and CFUN. One morning I received a call from Betty giving me the heads up on the Don't Go Breaking My Heart Release. That afternoon I was at YVR picking up the 45 and headed down to 1006 Richards. It was on the air within minutes. I don't know when CFUN got their copy but I know we were 24 hours in front. 

August 2, 2023 1:05 pm  #20

pmcknight wrote:

Beg to differ on the Elton John/Kiki Dee song. I was the Music Director for CKLG at the time . . . I don't know when CFUN got their copy but I know we were 24 hours in front. 

WOW!   Now that's a post.     

G.       

August 2, 2023 1:08 pm  #21

The SOWNY Board is a lot like radio. You never know who's listening.

August 2, 2023 1:48 pm  #22

Born in '48 grew up listening to CFCF, CKGM, CFOX-AM, WKBW, WPTR, WBZ-AM, WABC...you are right 1957 until the end of top 40 on AM was hit parade music and other than Dave Marsden's Coast-AM experiment in Vancouver none were ever Rock exclusive. BTW yes progressive rock did meander into jazz, folk, classical usually in context with the central focus album-based rock but thankfully you never heard ABBA!

August 2, 2023 1:57 pm  #23

Notice the reference to jazz.

July 6, 1968:

A year later, and thankfully, this never happened. 

August 2, 2023 4:32 pm  #24

ok so I went on a search of my old issues of Rolling Stone for an article about FM progressive radio and some of the troubles it was facing and becoming over time a bit more like it's nemesis AM top 40. You could say there was a rivalry there although FM was very much a niche market. . AM Vs FM. None of my friends early on listened to FM at least not until the mainstreaming began. I was an early adopter and never really looked back to AM until the oldies era with FM becoming more pedestrian.

Anyway I could not find the exact RS article I was looking for but I did find this large gatefold photo from the back cover of Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen album. Joe and Leon Russel are not hard to spot,

I may be wrong about this but does anyone recognize the gent in the fringe Jacket on the right hand side. I seem to vaguely recall something about this photo but could be wrong. I did not scan the original black and white copy from RS but found this color one online.

Last edited by Fitz (August 2, 2023 4:53 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/