sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2023 7:15 am  #1

Why You Won't See The Jays Or Shohei Ohtani On Sportsnet Friday

It's the final game of Apple tv+'s exclusive Friday deal with Major League Baseball, and it happens to involve the Jays. So unless you subscribe to the streaming service, you're going to have to listen on the radio (or somehow get tickets) because it won't be on Sportsnet.

It also means Canadian fans will miss the home season debut of superstar Shohei Ohtani, the pitching/hitting phenom some have called the next Babe Ruth. 

Things will be back to normal on the weekend, but I wonder how many fans will unknowingly tune in expecting to see their hometown heroes play the Angels only to find the Yankees taking on the Orioles.

And this isn't the last time it will happen. The Apple rights access, which began in 2022, is for seven years, with an opt-out in the first two of them. So far, the streamer hasn't indicated if it's planning not to pick up the option, so this could well happen again in 2024.

July 28, 2023 9:23 am  #2

Re: Why You Won't See The Jays Or Shohei Ohtani On Sportsnet Friday

Unfortunately there are 2 more Apple TV games to go.  The schedule has August 11 and August 18 also listed only Apple TV.  Even Sportsnet doesn’t have those game listed.  Ugh

July 28, 2023 4:30 pm  #3

It will be available on the "DOFU" sports app. Unfortunately, that means phone access only.

July 28, 2023 5:42 pm  #4

Juggie1 wrote:

Unfortunately there are 2 more Apple TV games to go. The schedule has August 11 and August 18 also listed only Apple TV. Even Sportsnet doesn’t have those game listed. Ugh

That is correct. The August 11 game against the Chicago Cubs and the August 18 game at Cincinnati are both Apple TV+ games as well, meaning the Jays will be on that platform three out of four weeks.

And the September schedule of Apple games has not yet been released, so for all we know they could be on there again in September.

July 28, 2023 7:24 pm  #5

I found a solution to the Apple blackouts. Check out MLB66. However, site will not work with your VPN set for Canada or the U.S. Japan works for me.

July 28, 2023 7:30 pm  #6

Apple is interviewing a player while they are on the field during play. I have never seen that before. 

July 28, 2023 7:51 pm  #7

i pay for full Sportsnet & TSN .. i kind of resent having games "stolen" ..

so "gray market" it is .. 
https://cdn.livetv689.me/webplayer.php?t=ifr&c=2179115&lang=en&eid=143828469&lid=2179115&ci=14&si=19

July 29, 2023 1:00 pm  #8

I enjoyed watching the Apple+ version of the Jays game last night.  Commentary was really good, with some nice history on the Blue Jays and the stadium for US viewers. Lots of good shots around Rogers Centre.  

Did find that a few innings were disjointed with some video feed problem.  Some segments of about 10 seconds would repeat for some reason and there was some freezing of the picture, then jump to live coverage.  One inning in particular was confusing to watch.  

A few times after the commercial breaks the feed had either missed the first pitch because play had already started.  Odd watching the game with dead air commercial breaks.  But overall not a bad broadcast IMHO with Apple.  

July 29, 2023 1:22 pm  #9

Sunday's game is on Peacock but since that streaming service is not available in Canada Sportsnet will carry it starting at noon. The earlier start is apparently a Peacock requirement in the U.S.

I don't subscribe to any streaming services because I pay more than enough for Rogers Ignite but with more and more MLB games moving to the services which are willing to pay millions$$$$ for the rights, one has to wonder how much longer we will be able to see htem on cable TV.

July 29, 2023 4:12 pm  #10

Peacock has an exclusive window on Sundays, which is why the game is so early and no other MLB games are permitted to start before 1:30 PM Eastern. 12:00 PM is a decent start time...some of those Peacock games start as early as 11:30 AM.

July 29, 2023 4:24 pm  #11

Any one know if Home Plate Lady has accepted an offer that couldn't be refused, for her seat?    Scalpers?  Seriously, I hope she's well.

July 29, 2023 4:42 pm  #12

georgio1 wrote:

Any one know if Home Plate Lady has accepted an offer that couldn't be refused, for her seat?    Scalpers?  Seriously, I hope she's well.

I saw her in her seat last night, so I guess she's okay.

August 1, 2023 9:07 pm  #13

zed wrote:

Sunday's game is on Peacock but since that streaming service is not available in Canada Sportsnet will carry it starting at noon. The earlier start is apparently a Peacock requirement in the U.S.

I don't subscribe to any streaming services because I pay more than enough for Rogers Ignite but with more and more MLB games moving to the services which are willing to pay millions$$$$ for the rights, one has to wonder how much longer we will be able to see htem on cable TV.

I don't understand why Peacock had Sunday's game at noon.  Fans of the A's in Los Angeles would get the game at 9am pacific.  Too early for the west coast. 

August 2, 2023 8:29 am  #14

paterson1 wrote:

zed wrote:

I don't understand why Peacock had Sunday's game at noon.  Fans of the A's in Los Angeles would get the game at 9am pacific.  Too early for the west coast. 

Peacock probably has limited input into what games they receive exclusivity on. In 2022, the Giants, Angels, Dodgers and Padres [twice] headed to the east coast for the Noon and a few 11:30am first pitches. Not much different than Monday Night Football kickoff happening so east coast viewers don't fall asleep before the end of the game. Doesn't matter that west coast fans are finishing their work day or starting their commute home.

August 2, 2023 8:44 am  #15

If you are not an Apple + customer or have not been one in quite a while, 
HERE'S TWO MONTHS FREE: https://redeem.services.apple/AirCanada-TVP-2M-2023
(You're welcome!)

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 2, 2023 8:46 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.