sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2023 8:36 am  #151

Re: Bell Cuts 1,300, Closes 6 Stns., Including CJBK, Selling CKOC & CHAM

darcyh wrote:

They should leave CKWW 580 the way it is.

It can't cost too much to run this fully automated oldies format and with 500 watts the electric bill is probably very reasonable. The station gets a decent signal into Southern Ontario and parts of Michigan. Several people I know that live in Michigan listen to 580.

I don't believe anyone is doing an oldies (50, 60, 70's) format in Detroit any longer and CKWW has carved a little niche for itself. They should solicit and target ads for Americans at appropriate rates. It worked for CKLW.

CKWW does come up a fair bit on both Detroit radio sites I look at.  Some think they have more listeners in Michigan than in the Windsor area which is possible.  I think darcyh is right that there doesn't appear to be another station in Detroit playing oldies (50's-70's).  So whatever audience there is for that format likely listens to AM 580 at least once in a while.

Twenty years ago when they had an adult standards format, CKWW apparently had a 1.5 to 2% share in Detroit, this according to a poster on Radio Discussions. Canadian stations haven't been included or part of the Nielsen ratings for years in Detroit. However the US audience for CKWW doesn't really matter if the station isn't going to solicit advertising from Michigan.  It nice to have, but doesn't mean much if you are not making any money from the audience.    

On the Detroit Radio Discussions or Michigan Buzzboard, almost everyone that comments on CKWW likes the station and the variety of music played.  Other than Roger Ashby's show the station plays 20% cancon. 

Haven't been listening to Ashby much lately but I do recall even a year ago almost every show he would have one or two requests from Michigan or Windsor, so these listeners would be tuning in CKWW. 

Bell put no effort into the station, so even if the new owner invests in a live morning show and little else would be a 100% improvement.   A station like this needs some personality, and for too long CKWW has had none. 

I think we may see someone eventually apply to assume a couple or possibly five of the six AM frequencies that Bell closed in Western Canada.  Those are all big markets with not a lot of AM competition.  And Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and Vancouver are all affluent and vibrant radio markets, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone is kicking the tires and planning something different for these available frequencies.     

Last edited by paterson1 (July 14, 2023 9:05 am)

July 14, 2023 9:32 am  #152

paterson1 wrote:

A marriage between CHCH and CKOC could work well.

No it wouldn't. Too costly for too little return. High risk, low reward. Hard to sell a standalone radio station to advertisers, much less a new AM station in a diary market that has no audience as it stands now. 

paterson1 wrote:

Make the station similar to community/regional radio but on AM. 

So you're saying they should operate a for-profit station like a not-for-profit station? And not only that, but do it on a worse band? Sounds like a recipe for failure. 

paterson1 wrote:

Laugh all you want, nobody else is doing this.

Gee.... I wonder why. 

paterson1 wrote:

The local cross promotion between TV and radio is something that other Hamilton stations don't have. 

Not sure what benefit you think this has? CHCH has given up on primetime, what exactly are they to promote? They're the only news option in town, they don't need to promote on radio, and if they wanted to they could buy radio spots for far less than the cost of acquiring and running an AM station that nobody listens to. 

paterson1 wrote:

Because it is 2023 is the exact reason why new ideas should happen.  The current model doesn't work and companies like Bell have been shown not to be the best at running radio stations.  And please, spare us the stock answer of "if it were feasible, it would have been done.."  If Bell knew what was feasible I doubt they would have bought CTV for $2.3 billion in 2003, sell most of it a few years later, and then turn around and buy the network back again.  Nothing like paying for something twice. 

-Says it's 2023 and new ideas are needed
-Brings up an idea straight from the 1950s
-Thinks the same company that dances with bankruptcy every few years should invest in a band that is declining rapidly
-Lambasts a decision made 20 years ago 

I hate to break it to you, but it would be the same people in charge of radio even if these large radio groups weren't owned by big telecoms. Decisions are made based on the bottom line no matter who owns the place, and as long as they own radio stations, they'll have radio industry veterans in charge of running them. 

July 14, 2023 11:15 am  #153

torontostan wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

A marriage between CHCH and CKOC could work well.

No it wouldn't. Too costly for too little return. High risk, low reward. Hard to sell a standalone radio station to advertisers, much less a new AM station in a diary market that has no audience as it stands now.

You're saying there IS return? But "too little".  What is "too little"?  Are you saying there's greater benefit in just going to the welfare office and living off of that instead? What is your point??? 

I see good money in a classic country format. People who say it is too hard to sell a stand alone station to advertisers have no idea what they are talking about, at least not without being more clear on what "too little" is.

I hope what you mean is, the return on the investment will work out to less than minimum wage once the input of hours of effort are reviewed.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 14, 2023 12:36 pm  #154

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

CHCH should have bought CKOC. Great for cross promotion possibilities between TV and radio.  CKOC covers a large area with 50,000 watts.  Move 1150 to the new CHCH building and utilize the television news department and on air personalities.

Make the radio very Hamilton/Niagara with a few talk shows, some brokered weekend programming.  Any music could be a mix, run Roger Ashby's oldies show.  Bring back well known Hamilton sports guy Ken Welch for a sports talk show.

Keep the station very Hamilton/Niagara with lots of personality and offer some ad packages with CHCH.  Would be interesting and a win win win for Hamilton/CHCH/and CKOC.

You know it’s 2023, right?

Hamilton/Niagara for the size of market is underserved with local radio. A marriage between CHCH and CKOC could work well.  Make the station similar to community/regional radio but on AM.  Laugh all you want, nobody else is doing this. The local cross promotion between TV and radio is something that other Hamilton stations don't have. 

Because it is 2023 is the exact reason why new ideas should happen.  The current model doesn't work and companies like Bell have been shown not to be the best at running radio stations.  And please, spare us the stock answer of "if it were feasible, it would have been done.."  If Bell knew what was feasible I doubt they would have bought CTV for $2.3 billion in 2003, sell most of it a few years later, and then turn around and buy the network back again.  Nothing like paying for something twice. 

CHML has a 0.9 share.

A dead format on a dead band in a bad market is not a "new" idea; just a terrible one.

July 14, 2023 12:38 pm  #155

Radiowiz wrote:

I see good money in a classic country format. People who say it is too hard to sell a stand alone station to advertisers have no idea what they are talking about, at least not without being more clear on what "too little" is.

No, they have experience.

July 14, 2023 1:18 pm  #156

RadioAaron wrote:

CHML has a 0.9 share.
A dead format on a dead band in a bad market is not a "new" idea; just a terrible one.

Is that including the Ti Cat games? I thought Ti cat games were helping.

July 14, 2023 1:46 pm  #157

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

As I said, unclear experience.

July 14, 2023 2:04 pm  #158

Radiowiz wrote:

You're saying there IS return? But "too little".  What is "too little"?  Are you saying there's greater benefit in just going to the welfare office and living off of that instead? What is your point??? 

I hope what you mean is, the return on the investment will work out to less than minimum wage once the input of hours of effort are reviewed.

In this hypothetical CHCH/CKOC scenario: they would certainly, without a question of a doubt, lose at least $500k/yr for several years. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say by the time an audience and advertisers arrive (if ever) the band is not 10 feet under, they would at best have an operating margin of 0%, and that's generous given the average last year for Canadian English AM's was around -10%, and Toronto AMs were -5%. Also keep in mind the relatively large up-front capital required to out-bid the religious/multi-lingual groups who no doubt will want to buy CKOC. 

You can live in a fantasy world where regular music and newstalk English AM radio has a future, but it does not, and the only reason it's kept afloat now is by co-existing with other (profitable) FM stations that can share staff and be sold to advertisers as one. 

July 14, 2023 2:10 pm  #159

Radiowiz wrote:

0.9 share A25-54 includes it. CFL ain't gonna move the needle lol

July 14, 2023 3:07 pm  #160

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Infinitely more than you. You are not in a position to say they "have no idea what they're talking about"

A stand-alone Classic Country AM launching today would get less than a one share. You cannot sell that on its own against a top rated Country FM station, a Bell Bounce/Move/HTZ combo, or a TV station that offers all the benefits of television at radio rates.

July 14, 2023 3:10 pm  #161

darcyh wrote:

Unprofitable?

July 14, 2023 8:45 pm  #162

RadioAaron wrote:

darcyh wrote:

Unprofitable?

Perhaps. I don't know if CKWW makes any money for Bell Media. With no on air staff and full automation it should not be too costly to operate given it is in the same building as CKLW and probably shares the technical infrastructure. It has a smaller audience and probably an older demographic. But the listeners are quite likely loyal as the programming is unique. A small audience in a high population market is still considerable. Its night time signal is also decent for AM in the Detroit area. Without knowing what the station sold for it is difficult to speculate on its potential profitability. Possible advertisers in the Detroit market could be auto dealerships, medical services, retirement residences and home renovation services.

Last edited by darcyh (July 14, 2023 8:46 pm)

July 14, 2023 8:51 pm  #163

With CJBK 1290 now silent, and given the market in London, is there any chance that someone could make use of that frequency and launch a new station?

July 14, 2023 9:09 pm  #164

Thanks for your comments torontostan and Aaron. We know the CHCH/CKOC partnership is not going to happen and yes the scenario was more like fantasy pool.

However, what I was talking about was far removed from corporate radio and not even a newstalk or regular music format.  I was thinking of a community/regional format that yes would have some music programs but not a music oriented station. Hamilton/Niagara/Oakville is underserved by local radio and has been for a long time.

The station would have operated out of CHCH's building and utilize the TV station newsroom and some on air talent. Also build relationships with the Hamilton Spectator and Mississauga News and partner with some of their reporters and writers.

The station wouldn't take part in Numeris ratings since national advertising would not be a priority.  Regardless you would get a few national buys anyway.  College and community stations have national advertising and don't take part in ratings surveys.  The priority is local, even some commercial remote broadcasts. 

CKOC would be based on relationship selling with local advertisers, businesses and a relationship with listeners and the community.  Something that is usually lacking in corporate radio and has been for too long.

Also the advertising focus would be with regional, city and town governments, BIA's, regional business associations, and larger regional companies such as building supply and hardware centres, automotive dealerships, health care, investment planning, colleges, university's and industry.  All of these have advertising budgets but are rarely heard on radio.  

Disagree that Hamilton/Niagara is a dead market.  Hamilton is booming and growing.  If local radio isn't booming then that is on them not the city. 

In the GTHA we have a few AM stations that still seem to be doing well.  I am not familiar enough with the ethnic AM or religious stations so my assumption is that they are profitable or at least break even.  CKOC wouldn't be competing with them anyway.

City News 680 does very well audience wise and should be profitable, Newstalk 1010 should still be marginally profitable, and Zoomer 740 sounds like they are doing well since most of their shows are sponsored and they have carved out a unique advertising and programming niche that nobody else is doing. 

I know they benefit with the cable fees from the companies 4 channels, but surely most of this goes towards running the television operation.  Zoomer Radio sounds like a successful radio station with mature and professional on air talent and news. The number of voices heard on Zoomer 740 puts Newstalk 1010 to shame.

I think in my scenario there is room for one more successful AM radio station in the GTHA with a population of over 10 million people.  And a station that has 50,000 watts and mirrors the coverage of CHCH. 

Disagree that CHCH has given up on prime time.  How so?  Name me an OTA station that has strong prime time programming right now.  And whenever the strike in Hollywood is over, I don't think we are going to see prime time bouncing back quickly on any OTA outlet. 

CHCH and CKOC could have had a unique situation with cross promotion, in a unique market with two unique stations.  And it would have been interesting to see what they might have achieved. 

Yes these solutions are old school, even smaller market.  Radio's strength is being local and this is what would be offered.  Something that has been lacking for too long. 

July 15, 2023 6:32 am  #165

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Infinitely more than you. You are not in a position to say they "have no idea what they're talking about"

A stand-alone Classic Country AM launching today would get less than a one share. You cannot sell that on its own against a top rated Country FM station, a Bell Bounce/Move/HTZ combo, or a TV station that offers all the benefits of television at radio rates.

Toronto Stan was a lot more helpful.  & yes, as I said, "unclear" vs actually not knowing what they are talking about. 
Thanks Toronto Stan. Well said.

July 15, 2023 6:34 am  #166

torontostan wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

0.9 share A25-54 includes it. CFL ain't gonna move the needle lol

Thanks. I failed to realize that CFL was already included in that, plus, CFL is not year round anyway. 

July 15, 2023 7:09 am  #167

paterson1 wrote:

Disagree that Hamilton/Niagara is a dead market.  Hamilton is booming and growing.  If local radio isn't booming then that is on them not the city. 

No I'd say it's likely on advertisers.  I'll bet most national advertisers skip buying time on Hamilton stations, and instead, go where the out-of-market tune out is ... up the QEW.  So many Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Dundas and Burlington buisnesses play Boom, Q107 or CHFI.  Why not just advertise there and save on your ad budget?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 15, 2023 11:15 am  #168

National advertising in radio has become less and less important to medium sized markets like Hamilton.  And you are correct Jody this is partially because national relies on spill over from Toronto radio, and the sizable listenership for Toronto stations.

However, local advertisers in Hamilton/Niagara wouldn't advertise on Toronto radio as a rule because of expense and Toronto stations don't normally make it a habit of catering local businesses outside of the GTA.

CHCH is already starting to do what I am talking about.  Yes they have national advertising but their focus is now on local/regional clients.  There is a whole layer of advertisers that haven't been catered to by radio and TV for years.  These larger local/regional companies do have advertising/marketing budgets and many have access to co-op advertising money that often is not utilized.

Also Hamilton/Niagara/Halton/Peel and area has a sizable rural community that has been ignored by most stations. These rural areas have large businesses that serve the farming and rural community.  Farm equipment dealers have access to large amounts of co-op dollars for advertising and promotion.  Virtually none of this ends up on radio, even country music radio.  Gross farm receipts in this area totals about $1.5 billion per year.  

This would be a focus of CHCH/CKOC.  A fantasy,  a dream?  Yes it is.  But eventually somebody will roll up their sleeves and do the hard work on something like this and I believe it could be a success.

Individuals and companies like this realize that the local TV and radio is a service to your listeners,  viewers, advertisers and community.  You are working for them, and not the other way around which too often is the current attitude.

When you work and act this way, good things tend to happen!

July 16, 2023 11:45 am  #169

Radiowiz wrote:

Toronto Stan was a lot more helpful.  & yes, as I said, "unclear" vs actually not knowing what they are talking about. 

Radiowiz wrote:

People who say it is too hard to sell a stand alone station to advertisers have no idea what they are talking about.

July 16, 2023 11:47 am  #170

darcyh wrote:

With CJBK 1290 now silent, and given the market in London, is there any chance that someone could make use of that frequency and launch a new station?

Zero. It would have been sold like CKWW or CKOC if that were in the cards.

July 16, 2023 11:55 am  #171

paterson1 wrote:

It's "booming" in that it's gradually becoming a suburb of Toronto, accelerated by COVID and WFH. It already has more local outlets than there's room to spread potential local ad dollars around. The existing news/talk AM is on its death bet.

The idea of a community-based non-rated commercial station is certainly nice, but for that to work you need many of your potential advertisers to at least be listeners themselves. Getting any audience at all on a new AM station would be almost impossible.

July 16, 2023 12:02 pm  #172

darcyh wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

darcyh wrote:

Unprofitable?

Perhaps. I don't know if CKWW makes any money for Bell Media. With no on air staff and full automation it should not be too costly to operate given it is in the same building as CKLW and probably shares the technical infrastructure. It has a smaller audience and probably an older demographic. But the listeners are quite likely loyal as the programming is unique. A small audience in a high population market is still considerable. Its night time signal is also decent for AM in the Detroit area. Without knowing what the station sold for it is difficult to speculate on its potential profitability. Possible advertisers in the Detroit market could be auto dealerships, medical services, retirement residences and home renovation services.

The only way to make this work would be a partnership with an existing Detroit radio group that sees value in using the station as a flanker and an add-on to existing sales packages.

July 16, 2023 12:05 pm  #173

AM radio is dying for the very same reason Hollywood is dying. Lower standards, and left leaning woke bs. The people on AM radio today are for the most part horrible at their jobs, that's because if you fit the category they are looking for you are hired! The best of the best don't matter today. Even this board is a left leaning echo chamber.    

July 16, 2023 12:12 pm  #174

paterson1 wrote:

Zoomer 740 sounds like they are doing well since most of their shows are sponsored and they have carved out a unique advertising and programming niche that nobody else is doing. 

I know they benefit with the cable fees from the companies 4 channels, but surely most of this goes towards running the television operation.  Zoomer Radio sounds like a successful radio station with mature and professional on air talent and news. The number of voices heard on Zoomer 740 puts Newstalk 1010 to shame. 

Radio lost over $1M last year for Zoomer, and that's with Classical likely being profitable.
https://www.zoomermedia.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/ZoomerMedia-FY2022-Audited-Financial-Statements.pdf

Your cable bills are keeping that station running.

July 16, 2023 12:14 pm  #175

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

People who say it is too hard to sell a stand alone station to advertisers have no idea what they are talking about.

Only reading what you want serves no purpose.
Unchanged, unedited:
"Radiowiz wrote"

I also DID update my viewpoint to only suggest it makes money, not so much "good" money.
How much money depends a lot on the cost of running the station, tower maintenance and other costs, since it does cost a lot of money to run a radio station, while it costs nothing for the listener to turn on the radio.

July 16, 2023 12:39 pm  #176

AM-Man wrote:

AM radio is dying for the very same reason Hollywood is dying. Lower standards, and left leaning woke bs. The people on AM radio today are for the most part horrible at their jobs, that's because if you fit the category they are looking for you are hired! The best of the best don't matter today. Even this board is a left leaning echo chamber.    

OK there "Free-Dumb Fella".  This situation has ZERO to do with politics.  I'm not bothered by it being brought up, but it's not a valid comment.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 16, 2023 12:44 pm  #177

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Only reading what you want serves no purpose.
Unchanged, unedited:
"Radiowiz wrote"

I also DID update my viewpoint to only suggest it makes money, not so much "good" money.
How much money depends a lot on the cost of running the station, tower maintenance and other costs, since it does cost a lot of money to run a radio station, while it costs nothing for the listener to turn on the radio.

Sure, Jan.

July 16, 2023 12:48 pm  #178

AM-Man wrote:

July 16, 2023 1:59 pm  #179

AM-Man wrote:

I don't know if this is opinionated "click bait" but OK, I'll bite....

AM radio is dying because newer technology is replacing it.  Not because of talent.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  "AM radio" is a delivery system.

People don't care about a delivery system.  People want content and they want it readily accessible anywhere (on their Smartphone).  No one is carrying a "transistor radio" around anymore.  Kids aren't listening to CKLW under the pillows at night, but rather, typing on their phones.

Lower standards?  I'm not sure what that really means.  The product on "AM radio" might be less than years ago (and I think it is) but that is because the business can no longer support the cost of "higher standards".

Print media has the same challenge.

I'm right-leaning (but not too far right) and wonder "Why do some right-leaning people always think left-leaning people are totally to blame for everything?"

July 20, 2023 8:55 am  #180

Broadcast Dialogue notes a few well known names that were let go in the Bell Media purge, but who may have gotten lost in the fallout. 

Richard Madan, who was their Washington correspondent for a time, is out. He originally worked at City TV in Toronto and was with CTV for six years. 

And David George-Cosh, who worked for BNN Bloomberg for five years and frequently appeared on CTV's Noon and Six PM News to explain business stories, is also gone.