sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2023 10:04 am  #1

Fascinating Vintage TV Set Ads From The 1950s

There's a great site you may never have heard of called "Rare Historical Photos." It's exactly what the name implies, with rare and mostly excellent pictures from the sometimes very distant past, often going back to the beginning of photography itself. (One page features rare colour snaps from 1900.) 

But it was this one that caught my eye - a page of old 1950s TV ads designed to sell you a set in an era where it was still a new thing for your living room. There are all kinds on display, including a then-amazing and very early "ray gun" remote control for a Zenith TV and several with built-in record players. My favourite of these is the one that boasts:

"You can not only play 33 1/3, 45, 78, but all intermediate speeds - thousands of them - from 10 -85, including the coming new 16 RPM!"

Yep, that 16 RPM certainly caught on! And the mention of "life-like FM sound" from the built-in radio back in 1951 is astounding. 

You can see all of them here. 

June 28, 2023 10:12 am  #2

Re: Fascinating Vintage TV Set Ads From The 1950s

Just one more, non-broadcast related. They're vintage photos of Toronto from the 1900s. Believe it or not, the shot below is from Yonge and Bloor - back in 1907. If only traffic there was this good today!

Vintage Photos That Show What Toronto Looked Like in the 1900s

June 28, 2023 10:37 am  #3

It looks like that's looking north. I think that's the St. Charles Tavern clock tower.

June 28, 2023 11:36 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

There's a great site you may never have heard of called "Rare Historical Photos." It's exactly what the name implies, with rare and mostly excellent pictures from the sometimes very distant past, often going back to the beginning of photography itself. (One page features rare colour snaps from 1900.) 

But it was this one that caught my eye - a page of old 1950s TV ads designed to sell you a set in an era where it was still a new thing for your living room. There are all kinds on display, including a then-amazing and very early "ray gun" remote control for a Zenith TV and several with built-in record players. My favourite of these is the one that boasts:

"You can not only play 33 1/3, 45, 78, but all intermediate speeds - thousands of them - from 10 -85, including the coming new 16 RPM!"

Yep, that 16 RPM certainly caught on! And the mention of "life-like FM sound" from the built-in radio back in 1951 is astounding. 

You can see all of them here. 

Admiral Television sets were the Gold Standard and always the most expensive. That 1953 model with the already built in UHF must have cost a small fortune.

June 28, 2023 11:36 am  #5

Wearing evening gowns and tuxedos to watch TV should make a comeback.
When I was a child and my parents took me on a trip somewhere to stay in a hotel it was still customary to "dress for dinner."

June 28, 2023 3:49 pm  #6

Great ads.   Sometimes I look up old versions of The Star online from the Toronto Public Library and I get a kick from the electronics ads.  The prices are mind blowingly high when you account for inflation.   A freaking VCR I remember purchasing in the mid 1980s translated to about $800 - $1000 today for example.   Computers were pricey too.   
It's too bad there aren't prices in these ads because I bet they were very expensive in today's dollars.

June 28, 2023 4:35 pm  #7

I bought my first VCR in the mid 1980s.
It was a Fisher brand and cost over 600 dollars.
plus you had to turn little manual dials to set them to the TV stations you wanted to record off.
the "remote" devise was a box with physical wires.
Still I loved that machine and it gave me hours of great movie watching which I rented from both a local mom and pop video store, and of course, Blockbuster.
"Be Kind, Rewind."

June 29, 2023 9:14 am  #8

newsguy1 wrote:

I bought my first VCR in the mid 1980s.
It was a Fisher brand and cost over 600 dollars.
plus you had to turn little manual dials to set them to the TV stations you wanted to record off.
the "remote" devise was a box with physical wires.
Still I loved that machine and it gave me hours of great movie watching which I rented from both a local mom and pop video store, and of course, Blockbuster.
"Be Kind, Rewind."

I bought my first VCR in the mid 80s too. I recall it too cost between 500 and 600 dollars, or at the time for me, almost a month's take home pay. It was a shockingly extravagant purchase, but I loved it.
It was an RCA model with a wireless remote and one of the first models to feature on screen programming, which made recording a breeze. I never missed Letterman or Coronation Street again. 😀

June 29, 2023 9:30 am  #9

My first VCR was an RCA SelectaVision, which I bought from a place called Videobank on Wilson Ave. near Bathurst. The price as I recall: about $1,000. This was in or around 1977 or 78. It was one of the first ones produced for consumers and since I was working nights at CKEY in Toronto and missing all the primetime shows, it was the answer to a prayer. 

It had only four shows you could set to tape and the remote consisted only of off/on and pause, attached by a long wire. But I loved it. It was the first of many VCRs I owned before the DVR came out. It looked something, but not exactly, like this:

Somewhere downstairs I have an LG VCR with a built-in DVD player that's almost never been used. I bought it as a replacement while one of my machines was in for repairs and they fixed it before I really needed it. It was a back-up that never needed backing-up. So I'm betting it's in perfect condition. I should pull it out sometime and see if it still works. (And yes, I still have a ton of old tapes!)

Here's a slightly out of focus pic of it that I took many years ago:

June 29, 2023 9:42 am  #10

Our first VCR, if I remember correctly, was from the late '80s, a re-badged Hitachi model from Granada rent-to-own... had connectivity for a separate camera. First colour TV was a 19-inch GE that we picked up at Zellers in Lindsay.

35+ years later, I now do videotape and film transfer to digital, among other services as a business owner and freelance announcer/producer, and the tape decks are a Hitachi VHS unit, a Sony Super Beta hi-fi machine, a Sony Hi8 camcorder, and a Canon GL1 MiniDV camera. Hoping to eventually track down an SVHS deck, and the ultimate would be some pro formats such as Betacam and 3/4", esp. Sony's BVW and BVU models respectively.

Last edited by Forward Power (June 29, 2023 9:46 am)

June 29, 2023 12:06 pm  #11

Have to go back a long time for our first colour television...purchased in 1963. It was a round screen RCA with a metal cabinet costing $600.  Lasted many years and replaced by a  24 RCA cabinet Tv in 1971.  First VCR was a Sony Betamax costing $1600 around 1973.  All followed by VHS player, 60 inch television, disc players and just about every new piece of equipment you can imagine.  Today several computers, Amazon Echo units, 65 inch Sharp television, and drawers  of various wires, adapters, etc..  Enough money spent on electronics that would provide a decent pension!!

June 29, 2023 12:33 pm  #12

Wow, a colour set back in 1963 was very expensive. We didn't get ours until 1969, when they were just becoming more common in Canada. Good for you guys growing up with the full hue on whatever shows were made in colour back then. 

June 29, 2023 12:49 pm  #13

Here's another page with 50 different TV sets from the 50s. I had no idea CBS ever made sets, which was originally the big purview of General Electric, which owned NBC. But this ad shows they did - and they came with the ultra-modern robot tuning, a kind of early channel surfing. As they'd say in the 50s, nifty!

I have no idea why a set made in Ft. Wayne, Indiana would feature a hockey player as its sample B&W screen, but here's the proof:

June 29, 2023 1:30 pm  #14

Here is a TV commercial for Electrohome stereos that ran during the 1972 Grey Cup.  This is an unusual 60 sec. ad with rather "trippy" music and interesting visuals.  Electrohome was known for their cabinet stereos but were also one of the first to get into smaller modular units.  https://www.google.com/search?q=electrohome+tv+commercial&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&oq=electrohome+tv+commercial&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.6439j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:045e97e2,vid:GiQ9GwFKgGQ

June 29, 2023 2:13 pm  #15

The Philco Predicta Tandem...

https://youtu.be/TvAgLFg57eE

July 3, 2023 10:16 am  #16

Moses Znaimer's MZTV Museum has a ton of old sets on display. But what you may not know is you can see many of them online here. Some of them are absolutely astounding. Most are accompanied by multiple videos and pictures, that allow you to get a good look at them over the web. Worth a visit to the site if this interests you. 

But while the MZTV Museum may be the best known for this kind of stuff, it's not the only one. There's a place called the Early Television Museum in the small town of Hilliard, Ohio you could visit if you're ever in the States. 

"The collection is one of the world’s largest, rivaled in North America only by the MZTV Museum of Toronto. About 180 television sets are on exhibit, arranged in chronological order, with another 50 in storage."

It also offers an online gallery that lets you see some of the most unusual early sets ever made. Fascinating for those who are into this stuff. 

This Ohio museum shows that TV is older than you might think

[img]https://dims.apnews.com/dims4/default/4433f5c/2147483647/strip/true/crop/3000x2169+0+0/resize/1440x1041!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.apnews.com%2Fd6%2F42%2F14cc7a80251ff17f1408fbc1e8a9%2F2680fc3279744d86a7d356c377fffdb9[/img]

July 29, 2023 10:37 pm  #17

A great article on another lost item from the era of early TV - what may be the first-ever television remote control. And it didn't have any wires or batteries. But it worked. Made by Zenith, of course.

"...it required no batteries — much desired by Zenith, as the company didn’t want customers to think a TV was broken when the battery died. This also did not require the remote to be pointed directly at a receiver...

"
It was clear to all of us that we couldn’t use radio. We had a bunch of radio engineers here, there wouldn’t have been much of a problem, but the radio went through walls. And it would work on the next-door neighbor’s set, or if you lived in an apartment."

The buttons on Zenith’s original ‘clicker’ remote were a mechanical marvel

July 30, 2023 5:59 am  #18

There was recently a thread about earliest memories of remote controls on another forum that I am on and I took pictures of the two remotes below which I still have both from the mid 80's.

I still have the components that go along with them as well. The Sony receiver has AM stereo  of which I was never a fan back in the day ( was mainly a FM fan) and have sort made amends more recently by buying a AM stereo transmitter.

The JVC VCR was/is a great machine that can record a secondary stereo audio track to go along with the primary one for the video. One can control the audio levels with it. My machine was definitely under-utilized for audio but I did record a few radio airchecks which I have up on the website. You could literally fit 6 hours plus of audio on one tape at slow speed. The machine's tracking no longer works properly and I wish I could find a fully functional version now.

The first remote I remember in the house was one of those wired TV converters that you would slide for the channel selection in the late 70's. Never got near a Zenith Space Command but I am sure I recall an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show from the 60's where Rob or Laura were using a remote control.

Here's the two remotes from the mid 80's:

Last edited by Fitz (July 30, 2023 6:12 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/