sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2023 3:55 pm  #1

Cable Advice Needed

I don't watch TV. My wife does. For years, we've used Shaw Direct satellite. She's unhappy with losing her signal when it's raining..

I went today to the Rogers store he offered a package similar to what she's getting from Shaw at a simikar price. He says they deliver TV via the Internat. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

Last edited by turkeytop (June 27, 2023 3:55 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 27, 2023 4:04 pm  #2

Re: Cable Advice Needed

Ignite tv is pretty decent. I was using it for a while but I just have an iptv service through an android box. It’s about 100 a year and I get tons of channels. But the Rogers service worked well for me

June 27, 2023 4:13 pm  #3

turkeytop wrote:

I don't watch TV. My wife does. For years, we've used Shaw Direct satellite. She's unhappy with losing her signal when it's raining..

I went today to the Rogers store he offered a package similar to what she's getting from Shaw at a simikar price. He says they deliver TV via the Internet. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

It's not the Internet but it is a form of digital streaming, unlike the old traditional "cable TV".  They brand it as "Ignite"

Totally acceptable and you would be happy with it.

Rogers also delivers their Internet service over the same platform and thus the confusion.

My only caveat is that it is delivered to the home over their coaxial cable system, which in my neighbourhood is 45 years old.  Any problems with that and all bets are off.

June 27, 2023 4:13 pm  #4

turkeytop wrote:

. He says they deliver TV via the Internat. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

From a consumer point-of-view it works the same as the older delivery method.

June 27, 2023 4:16 pm  #5

Thanks everyone.. Would she get all her shows in real time, just like now, or is it on demand?

Last edited by turkeytop (June 27, 2023 4:16 pm)

June 27, 2023 4:58 pm  #6

turkeytop wrote:

Thanks everyone.. Would she get all her shows in real time, just like now, or is it on demand?

Real time, with the added bonus of features like being able to restart a show if you tune in late.

June 27, 2023 5:04 pm  #7

What I don't like about Ignite is the fact on the Legacy system, I used to get the audio music channels and radio stations included in one lower price. I don't anymore since  " upgrading " . 

June 27, 2023 8:23 pm  #8

mic'em wrote:

What I don't like about Ignite is the fact on the Legacy system, I used to get the audio music channels and radio stations included in one lower price. I don't anymore since  " upgrading " . 

That and the fact that if internet goes down/out the Ignite TV goes out with it. 
Legacy was able to stay up and running when internet was out. 
It is nice being able to just say a channel and it goes to that channel though. 
If you forget what number a channel is, no problem! Just say the channel name and there it is!
Advantages and disadvantages. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 27, 2023 10:45 pm  #9

turkeytop wrote:

The channels and packages are extremely similar.  On satellite NBC might be from Detroit or Boston but on cable it might be from Buffalo.  That's the only real difference.  

June 28, 2023 7:36 am  #10

turkeytop wrote:

I went today to the Rogers store he offered a package similar to what she's getting from Shaw at a simikar price. He says they deliver TV via the Internat. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

Rogers "Ignite" runs on the platform provided by Comcast
https://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/rogers-partners-with-comcast-to-bring-rogers-customers-x1-next-gen-iptv-service

Also, Shaw Direct is now part of Rogers

June 28, 2023 8:20 am  #11

Question for anyone with Ignite.  I have Bell 1 gig internet service and would not stop using it, as it is reliable.  I cannot find a link on Rogers' website to ignite TV pricing or packaging if you don't subscribe to their internet service.  I am looking to purchase a basic (lowest tier) TV package, TSN/Sportsnet, MSNBC and a few other news channels.  Bell will not sell me CBC News or other services unless I pay $7 per month per channel or buy a large $20/month package.   Is there a cheaper way to get news channels on Ignite, without having to spend a lot of $$$?  The other question can you stream MSNBC to your device such as an ipad "out of home"?  Bell has a restriction that you can only view MSNBC in your hone residence.  Which sucks because in the USA, all of their "cable" and "IPTV" affiliates offer out of home streaming.
Bell is so out of touch with the marketplace!!!!  Their off-shore customer service reps don't have any answers, in terms of (more) economicial combos without having to take their top tier of services, to get channels that I actually watch.

Last edited by tvguy (June 28, 2023 8:21 am)

June 28, 2023 9:16 am  #12

It's all moot. I showed her the channel lineup and she doesn't like it.

June 28, 2023 10:06 am  #13

tvguy wrote:

Question for anyone with Ignite.  I have Bell 1 gig internet service and would not stop using it, as it is reliable.  I cannot find a link on Rogers' website to ignite TV pricing or packaging if you don't subscribe to their internet service.  I am looking to purchase a basic (lowest tier) TV package, TSN/Sportsnet, MSNBC and a few other news channels.  Bell will not sell me CBC News or other services unless I pay $7 per month per channel or buy a large $20/month package.   Is there a cheaper way to get news channels on Ignite, without having to spend a lot of $$$?  The other question can you stream MSNBC to your device such as an ipad "out of home"?  Bell has a restriction that you can only view MSNBC in your hone residence.  Which sucks because in the USA, all of their "cable" and "IPTV" affiliates offer out of home streaming.
Bell is so out of touch with the marketplace!!!!  Their off-shore customer service reps don't have any answers, in terms of (more) economicial combos without having to take their top tier of services, to get channels that I actually watch.

I am still on Rogers Legacy cable. I have a U.S. News package which includes FOX, CNN, CNNI, MSNBC and CNBC and a World News package that has BBC, DW, Euronews, CGTN and the English version of Al Jazeera. Each are $5/month. I would think they are available on Ignite.

June 28, 2023 10:43 am  #14

tvguy wrote:

AFAIK, Rogers Ignite TV is delivered via Rogers Ignite Internet, so no splitting them. I have the time shifting packages for Canada and the US (can't have the US one without the Canadian one). They are $3 each per month plus HST.