sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2023 2:33 pm  #1

Efforting

What the hell is "efforting"?  Seems like it's Reshmi's new go-to replacement word for "trying".   What other replacement non-words drive you crazy?

June 16, 2023 3:51 pm  #2

Re: Efforting

Far be it for me to defend Reshmi Nair, but "efforting" is an old wire service term for attempting to get details on a breaking story. When I worked for both Newsradio in the late 70s and Broadcast News in the mid-80s, we would hear it and use it all the time.

It's one of those weasel words used in news, like "new top," which is an older copy story with an update on it at the beginning so editors would know that though the last part was a repeat, some fact or detail in the first paragraph was new.

Otherwise, a "new top" was what my girlfriend came home with after a shopping trip to the mall!

June 16, 2023 6:44 pm  #3

I;'d just like to "reach out to" all those people out there efforting.
I really hope they "lean into" what I have to say.
Hopefully it won't be as hard as "medalling" at the Olympics.
Or "summiting" Mount Everest."

June 16, 2023 7:15 pm  #4

"Just one more sleep" until Santa comes or the Leafs playoff series begins or the election or...

June 16, 2023 7:52 pm  #5

When I woke up this morning I had no way of knowing you were going to write that.

June 17, 2023 7:29 am  #6

And when did "adulting" become a thing?

June 17, 2023 9:23 am  #7

Tq345 wrote:

And when did "adulting" become a thing?

Around the same time that "Birthing" became a verb.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 19, 2023 1:25 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Far be it for me to defend Reshmi Nair, but "efforting" is an old wire service term for attempting to get details on a breaking story. When I worked for both Newsradio in the late 70s and Broadcast News in the mid-80s, we would hear it and use it all the time.

It's one of those weasel words used in news, like "new top," which is an older copy story with an update on it at the beginning so editors would know that though the last part was a repeat, some fact or detail in the first paragraph was new.

Otherwise, a "new top" was what my girlfriend came home with after a shopping trip to the mall!

Thanks for the explanation.  I learned something new about this. BUT, Reshmi uses it incorrectly according to your info.  She applies it, for example, to the police, explaining that they are efforting to get more information on a case as opposed to her, as a news reporter, efforting to gather more intel for her story.  

Anyway, not a big deal but it is most annoying.   Just as an aside, the word is highlighted as a mis-spell and suggestions are "affording" and "effecting".  

July 18, 2023 2:47 pm  #9

Here's a new one from Reshmi.  "Othering" as in seeing others differently.  It came up during a discussion about the refugees not having shelter.  She said we need to stop "othering" people.  We are all people.  

July 18, 2023 4:53 pm  #10

DaCosta wrote:

Here's a new one from Reshmi.  "Othering" as in seeing others differently.  It came up during a discussion about the refugees not having shelter.  She said we need to stop "othering" people.  We are all people.  

I 'other' Rushmi every day, as in I'll listen to anything other than her.