sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2023 7:23 am  #1

15 Great TV Shows You Still Can't Stream

This list contains at least one show I wish were available on one of those free streaming services. Even with ads, I'd be happy to watch the originals again. It's SCTV, which is all over YouTube, but not in any complete way.

You can see the rest here - but not online! (While this list is for U.S. services, as far as I know these aren't available in Canada, either.)

June 9, 2023 8:51 am  #2

Re: 15 Great TV Shows You Still Can't Stream

Hang on to that physical media, folks.

(Though the video releases of SCTV are also far from perfect)

June 9, 2023 8:55 am  #3

I would also add Ed to that list, the Tom Cavanagh/Julie Bowen dramedy from the early '00s. It's appeared in reruns in the U.S. and was briefly on M3 (formerly MuchMoreMusic) in Canada quite a few years back for a short spell. But aside from some crappy VHS rips available on YouTube, it's not streaming anywhere in North America (to the best of my knowledge). And unlike some of the shows on that list, it hasn't had a (legal) DVD/Blu-ray release, either.

Ed and Mike's ten dollar bets were priceless.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

June 9, 2023 9:56 am  #4

Ed was a great show. There are others that aren't streamed simply because there either weren't enough episodes produced or they were made so long ago no one remembers them. One that is a lost gem was a show called "He & She," which starred Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss. It aired on CBS for one too short season, 1967-1968, (only 26 were made) and had a great supporting cast. 

It was about a cartoonist (He) and a social worker (She) and their life in a New York City apartment. It was not only hilarious, but prescient - the show was written and produced by the same people who, just a few years later, would bring the world The Mary Tyler Moore Show. And you can see the early elements of that future classic in this one, especially in the overly egotistical character of kid show hero Oscar North, who would one day morph into Ted Baxter. 

But it was programmed on a CBS network that was filled with Hillbillies, Gomer Pyles and Gunsmokes. This was way too sophisticated for that audience and no one watched it. It should have run for years. The fact it was cancelled, despite multiple Emmy nominations, is a tragedy. 

There are some grainy episodes on YouTube, but I'd love to see it restored to its full glory and streamed somewhere. It's a lost jewel that's just waiting to be rediscovered.

June 9, 2023 10:07 am  #5

Who owns the rights to SCTV? What do they have against making money?

June 9, 2023 10:20 am  #6

Ladies and Germs...

SCTV - Season 1 (26 episodes) - https://archive.org/details/sctv-season-1

SCTV - Season 2 (24 episodes) - https://archive.org/details/sctv-season-2

There are plenty more, if you want them.

June 9, 2023 10:28 am  #7

Paul Jeffries wrote:

I would also add Ed to that list, the Tom Cavanagh/Julie Bowen dramedy from the early '00s. It's appeared in reruns in the U.S. and was briefly on M3 (formerly MuchMoreMusic) in Canada quite a few years back for a short spell. But aside from some crappy VHS rips available on YouTube, it's not streaming anywhere in North America (to the best of my knowledge). And unlike some of the shows on that list, it hasn't had a (legal) DVD/Blu-ray release, either.

Ed and Mike's ten dollar bets were priceless.

PJ

I loved Ed too. Their visits to the pie shop always made me hungry. 🥧

As far as the list of non-streamable shows, there were a number I would love to revisit, especially Homicide, L.A. Law and Northern Exposure. And SCTV of course.

It just goes to show with all the available programs there's still a lot of missing content.

Last edited by Tq345 (June 9, 2023 10:30 am)

June 9, 2023 11:08 am  #8

Dial Twister wrote:

Ladies and Germs...

SCTV - Season 1 (26 episodes) - https://archive.org/details/sctv-season-1

SCTV - Season 2 (24 episodes) - https://archive.org/details/sctv-season-2

There are plenty more, if you want them.

Thanks DT.  I think that's about as complete as we're going to get.
Not to nitpick, but I remember the early opening theme to be different based on the Dance of the Hours by Spike Jones.  Start the video 30 seconds in:

June 9, 2023 4:22 pm  #9

The Uncle Earl's site has all five seasons of Get Smart, 61 episodes of Moonlighting, 183 episodes of Laverne & Shirley and 19 episodes of SCTV.

June 11, 2023 10:17 pm  #10

+1 for Ed.
There even used to be a website dedicated to asking for a DVD release.  I believe music rights were a big issue.

But what I really want to watch are some of the CTV classics like Thrill of a Lifetime, Circus!, and Live It Up!

I remember that Live it Up reruns air briefly on those early 2000's specialty channels on Expressvue (Pamela Wallen channel?) But you can't even find it on YouTube.

Davester.

Last edited by Davester (June 11, 2023 10:18 pm)

June 12, 2023 7:33 am  #11

Davester wrote:

...I remember that Live it Up reruns air briefly on those early 2000's specialty channels on Expressvue (Pamela Wallen channel?) But you can't even find it on YouTube.

Davester.

Well, at least Youtube has the theme song...
https://youtu.be/AFd-uN-uRvY