sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2023 7:47 pm  #31

Re: CRTC Wants To Know: Should Fox News Be Banned On Cdn. Cable?

Congratulations to CNN

I'm watching them more and more these days

I never thought they'd come around

Look like I was wrong

And a note to RA

Do you think the CNN -Trump Town Hall deserves its own thread?

I do just so everyone gets to hear to good news!!

I'd be more than happy to start one if you RA have no objections  

May 9, 2023 9:46 pm  #32

Fake Noise's Lachlan Murdoch boasts that they will continue with their lying to gullible audience members.

Colour me shocked.

https://archive.ph/2023.05.09-153224/https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2023/05/09/lachlan-murdoch-fox-earnings-loss/

May 9, 2023 9:57 pm  #33

unclefester wrote:

Congratulations to CNN

Look like I was wrong

And a note to RA

Do you think the CNN -Trump Town Hall deserves its own thread?

I do just so everyone gets to hear to good news!!

I'd be more than happy to start one if you RA have no objections  

No Unc. Go right ahead. A new thread will attract those who are no longer reading this one. 

May 9, 2023 10:14 pm  #34

unclefester wrote:

Congratulations to CNN

ah .. so you thoroughly enjoyed this afternoon's CNN coverage detailing Trump being found legally liable for Sexual Abuse & Defamation with ~$5,000,000 damages awarded to his victim .. 

May 9, 2023 10:15 pm  #35

Fox Corp. just LOST $50 million in the last quarter. They never lose money. Wait until the Smartmatic case comes in 2025, or will they try to settle out of court again?  But the real one that could be fatal will be the shareholders who are also taking them to court.  That one could make the Dominion settlement look like a parking fine.    

Fox television including the news channel gets much of their revenue from cable fees.  Cable has told them they will not continue pay the current rates for their channels.  Could be a perfect storm forming, and none of it good for Fox. 

June 6, 2023 7:20 am  #36

The National Post indicates that a sample of the interventions to the CRTC appear to indicate those who've bothered to reply to the Fox News prohibition request seem to be in favour of banning the network. One such letter reads:

“Fox is a propaganda outlet which undermines the democratic ideals of Canada. This is not censorship, this is shielding intellectually vulnerable people from brainwashing.”

The complaint was launched by an LGBTQ2S+ rights group, alleging the network was using hate speech towards them. There's something to note here, though - the Post admits it looked at a random 100 notes to the CRTC, which isn't exactly a huge sample size. But the vociferous tone of the letters arguing for a ban on Fox News is extremely strong. 

I have absolutely no love for the network and wouldn't watch it even if I could. But I would be very disturbed if the CRTC chose to remove it from Canadian cable. Censorship is never the answer. More free speech to counter its propaganda is. And as one intervenor points out, Tucker Carlson, who was the source of the original complaint, is no longer with the network. 

I hope the Commission doesn't take this step. What happens when a new government takes over and decides it doesn't like the output of some channel you watch and agree with? As odious as Fox News can be, it's a dangerous precedent to set. And I hope they make the right decision and take this seriously. 

Ban Fox News from TV, CRTC hears as thousands of Canadians write to regulator

June 6, 2023 8:21 am  #37

Pretty hard to argue this is about free speech when FOX News Network itself doesn't practice free speech.  Remember the total lack of any coverage on the network with the Dominion trial or settlement? FOX didn't cover a huge news story that was negative about their own network.  What was that about freedom of speech and democracy again??  FOX practices censorship, not freedom. 

This also has nothing to do with this government or a "new government taking over and deciding it doesn't like the output of some channel you watch and agree with."  It has been proven that FOX has deliberately lied and mislead viewers with one sided bogus news reports that were not based on facts or truth.  Worst of all, this has been going on for years with no consequences for the network.

Why try and include anything about the government "deciding" it not liking the output of any channel?  That actually sounds like something FOX would do!  There is a big difference between not liking or disagreeing with an opinion, and a powerful news outlet deliberately using their strength and influence to pass off lies as fact with misleading and incorrect information. 

June 6, 2023 8:44 am  #38

In a strange way, you've proven my point. I'm the de facto CRTC here. As the moderator of the forum, I have the power to ban or banish any member. Despite criticism and sometimes abuse from a few users, they're still here. I believe you and them have the right to express your opinion. I mostly choose not to respond to them, but at least they get their thoughts out.

The only ones who have ever been banned during my tenure here have been those who broke the rules about abusing others. (Hello Ziggy!) My philosophy has always been "It's OK to disagree, it's not OK to be deliberately disagreeable." 

I would agree with you that Fox is no longer really news. It's mostly become endless (mostly uninformed) opinion. But banning it isn't the answer. Like on SOWNY, you should be able to refute what they say. I think they've severely destroyed their own reputation through their actions and that's done more damage than silencing them would do.

Besides, I want to know what the enemy is saying. I like knowing what the liars and hatemongers are up to.  Banning them won't stop them from doing damage. Countering them and continually pointing out where they're wrong just might.

June 6, 2023 8:56 am  #39

Always know who the tools are in case something needs fixing.

June 6, 2023 9:27 am  #40

I don't think I have proven your point at all.  In fact you haven't even proved your point.

Hasn't FOX News Network broken the rules?  I am not really in favour of banning them either, BUT, if it happens I don't care.  They brought it on themselves and have nobody to blame but themselves. Even though they have been proven to be liars and hack broadcasters, there have been no acknowledgements or apologies from the network.  

FOX will change when Rupert hangs it up.  Just as important if they continue to lose money more layoffs and change will be inevitable.  FOX has more lawsuits ahead in their future along with shareholders planning to take them to court.

Cable in Canada not carrying FNN doesn't matter to the network since they don't make much or any money here.  If Canadians feel strongly about keeping FOX on cable,  give your thoughts to the CRTC.  If this doesn't happen, apparently most Canadians don't care.  If you don't vote, don't complain about the outcome.

Yes RA, you do put up with criticism but this is part of being a moderator and being opinionated.  Anyone on SOWNY with an opinion is open for criticism.  But if you stick with the facts, tell the truth, try not to exaggerate, and attempt to present a balanced and fair assessment, people will respect your opinions. They may not agree with you, but at least they know you are fair.  

The other side rarely is always 100% wrong. 

June 6, 2023 4:00 pm  #41

I wasn't really going to add any more fuel to this fire, but I think this CTV commentator, who is not a fan of the cable outlet, gets it right.

"...cutting off those who subscribe to Fox won’t prevent Fox‘s odious content from seeping into the country through social media.

The best way to make sure people are properly wary of what Fox News does, is to allow viewers to see it for what it is."

Murphy's Logic: Fox News should not be banned

Last edited by RadioActive (June 6, 2023 4:02 pm)

June 6, 2023 4:43 pm  #42

I can appreciate both sides of this debate, however, if in a crowded theatre I shout "FIRE! FIRE!" when there's no fire, I can be arrested and charged for my lies.

Should Fake News be able to rely on America's First Amendment to protect it when it knowingly publishes lies that endanger the very democracy that enriches its owners?

How far should Fake News be permitted to go in its lust for power and money? Is almost toppling the American government far enough? If not, then someone please tell us where the red line is?

Once the legitimate government is overturned, it's too late to decide that maybe the lying pretend-news channel should have been called to task a very long time ago.

And, from an obviously self-centred point of view, once American democracy is gone, I don't like Canada's chances against Russia and/or China.

June 6, 2023 7:20 pm  #43

June 6, 2023 7:48 pm  #44

For years, I've wondered how J.D. could work at Fake News.

Then I remind myself of some of those who became young adults in the late '60s. They thought they'd remain progressive and communal all their lives; now they watch Fake News and they're angry at just about everyone.

Cue the (not-so-slender) lady.

June 6, 2023 10:17 pm  #45

The enfant terrible, formerly of Fox News, is back and apparently as obnoxious as ever.

Tucker Carlson drops first episode of barebones new Twitter show

"Carlson picked up some of his usual, conspiracy theory-tinged topics and sympathies to the Russian government in the video, calling Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky “sweaty and rat-like” and suggesting without evidence that Ukraine was responsible for the destruction of a major dam on its territory. He also accused mainstream media outlets of suppressing a new claim from a former military officer that the U. S. government’s has secret knowledge of alien spacecraft."