sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2023 2:49 pm  #1

How Barrie's CKVR made history

Barrie was the smallest community in North America to have its own TV station when CKVR went on the air in 1955,

https://www.barrietoday.com/then-and-now/then-and-now-how-barries-ckvr-made-history-7061142

May 28, 2023 3:07 pm  #2

Re: How Barrie's CKVR made history

But only the smallest for about a month and a half.  CKNX in Wingham signed on November 18, 1955.  Even today Wingham only has a population of about 3,000.  The town has long called itself the Radio and Television Town of Canada.  Today Wingham has 3 radio stations and CKNX TV which is no longer a functioning station but a repeater of CFPL.  The CKNX facility, built in 1963 is still used for the radio stations and some of the TV studio space has been leased out to neighbouring F.E. Madill highschool.

May 28, 2023 3:13 pm  #3

Interesting article. Be sure to click on the links provided to see some pics of the station's past. 

Here are a few more from CKVR as mentioned in the piece:

I recognize Kevin Frankish from the ad below. Who are the others?

May 28, 2023 4:16 pm  #4

The other three are Sharon Burkhart (12:30 and 6:00 anchor, and CKNX alum), Bob McIntyre (long-time weatherman), and sports reporter Kevin Marks, who often co-anchored the 12:30 report.

Last edited by Forward Power (May 28, 2023 4:17 pm)

May 28, 2023 8:22 pm  #5

1955 I would have been just a kid growing up around near Owen Sound. Back then, Barrie and Owen Sound were both similar in size. Now Barrie is a small city and Owen Sound hasn't changed in 60 years.

After CKNX came along, that was our only channel for a lot of years. Every house had a CH 8 Yagi up top.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 28, 2023 8:22 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

But only the smallest for about a month and a half.  CKNX in Wingham signed on November 18, 1955.  Even today Wingham only has a population of about 3,000.  The town has long called itself the Radio and Television Town of Canada.  Today Wingham has 3 radio stations and CKNX TV which is no longer a functioning station but a repeater of CFPL.  The CKNX facility, built in 1963 is still used for the radio stations and some of the TV studio space has been leased out to neighbouring F.E. Madill highschool.

Is the Channel 8 repeater of CFPL still even on the air? I know CTV had applied to the CRTC to shut down a bunch of analog repeaters in 2016, and I know in the process they did shut down the CJOH channel 6 repeater at Deseronto, but I wasn’t sure if Wingham’s transmitter got shut down at the same time.

May 28, 2023 8:34 pm  #7

MJ Vancouver wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Is the Channel 8 repeater of CFPL still even on the air? I know CTV had applied to the CRTC to shut down a bunch of analog repeaters in 2016, and I know in the process they did shut down the CJOH channel 6 repeater at Deseronto, but I wasn’t sure if Wingham’s transmitter got shut down at the same time.

I believe it is gone. People living in rural areas up there must now need to have satellite to get any TV

May 28, 2023 10:57 pm  #8

I believe it is gone. People living in rural areas up there must now need to have satellite to get any TV

Global operates the Owen Sound transmitter on Virtual Channel 4 (UHF 23 post repack).

May 28, 2023 11:25 pm  #9

Glen Warren wrote:

Global operates the Owen Sound transmitter on Virtual Channel 4 (UHF 23 post repack).

When we left the area in 1996 Global was on also CBC on CH 14 TVO on Ch 12. I just assumed they would be gone now.

That's good news

May 28, 2023 11:26 pm  #10

turkeytop wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Most people in Grey/Bruce always had cable or satellite.  There has never been much to receive off air for TV.  Cable was also available in many rural areas and everyone also had cable for FM which carried stations from London, Kitchener, Toronto, Barrie and Buffalo.  Channel 8 still shows up on the local cable in Owen Sound as CTV2 and  a repeater of CFPL.  I think you are right MJ I believe the CKNX transmitter was closed in 2016, but I am not 100% sure.  They still have the tower near Formosa and this carried channel 8, CKNX FM and since 2005 94.5 FM.  

May 29, 2023 6:49 am  #11

Bell shut down CKNX-TV some time ago. I could receive it here during the warm months in Peterborough.  If I turned the antenna 180, CJOH Alexandra 8. Also gone. RF 8 is now CFTO

May 29, 2023 7:50 am  #12

In 1971 CKCO put a high powered rebroadcaster on the air from Tobermory on channel 2 to bring CTV programming to the area. It was shut down in 2014.

Last edited by zed (May 29, 2023 7:51 am)

May 31, 2023 10:51 am  #13

zed wrote:

In 1971 CKCO put a high powered rebroadcaster on the air from Tobermory on channel 2 to bring CTV programming to the area. It was shut down in 2014.

I was just going to mention this - it was a CH 2 VHF 100,000 watts e-skip blowtorch atop Hope Bay, Georgian Bay on a cliff. 

May 31, 2023 12:01 pm  #14

Growing up in the 60's, the only thing I knew about CKVR was the listings in TV Guide. Everyone had chimney antennas pointed to Buffalo. Towers with rotors would come much later.

May 31, 2023 8:11 pm  #15

38 years ago today the only F4 tornado in Simcoe County history tore through Barrie and surrounding area. CKVR used to air a documentary on the events of that day, but didn't today, although it was mentioned during the 6pm newscast and some footage shown as well as an interview with the former fire chief of that day. 

May 31, 2023 8:20 pm  #16

May 31, 2023 8:31 pm  #17

I watched CKVR a lot when I lived in Owen Sound.  It was a great local station that seemed like an independent even though they were a CBC affiliate at the time.  CKVR was so connected to Barrie and cottage country.  They knew their audience and on air had interesting and solid local programming and news department. 

After the big tornado in 1985, CKVR went beyond what a local station would do, right down to a live  concert to raise money for those impacted and to help heal a damaged community. 

May 31, 2023 9:37 pm  #18

Nearly 25 years ago, when I was still in high school, my folks in Alliston gave me a videotape containing multiple news reports covering the various May 31st tornadoes. Sadly I lost the tape in a move at some point in the 2000s, but there was some gold in there from CKVR, Global, and the CTV National News.

The day after the tornado, CKVR put together a special edition of Total News, titled "The Eye Of The Storm", anchored by Sharon Burkhart... this program was on the tape I was given. One of the first reporter packages in this edition was a very memorable one by Kevin Frankish and photog Steve Miller, shot just moments after the twister fizzled out on Lake Simcoe. The package included an interview with a group of boys who were playing somewhere in the city's south end when the tornado hit, and aside from maybe some bumps and bruises, were unscathed. Later on, reporter Greg Lubianetzky presented some aerial footage of the destruction, and weatherman Bob McIntyre gave viewers a general explanation of how a tornado forms and how it causes homes and other buildings to pretty much explode.

At the time of the tornado, I was not even two years old, and we were living in Stayner at the time.

May 31, 2023 9:47 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

I watched CKVR a lot when I lived in Owen Sound.  It was a great local station that seemed like an independent even though they were a CBC affiliate at the time.  CKVR was so connected to Barrie and cottage country.  They knew their audience and on air had interesting and solid local programming and news department. 

After the big tornado in 1985, CKVR went beyond what a local station would do, right down to a live  concert to raise money for those impacted and to help heal a damaged community. 

Our family cottage in Jackson's  Point had rabbit ears, so CKVR was the only station we received back in the 1960s.   I remember Outer Limits, Time Tunnel and a bunch of other neat programs I never watched in Scarborough, where we also had rabbit ears and didn't receive it.   All in glorious monochrome.  It was also kind of cool to look out the window across Lake Simcoe and see the tower with its blinking lights almost straight across the lake.

June 1, 2023 7:18 am  #20

Video wouldn't play for me.

June 1, 2023 8:14 am  #21

Ski Base !!!!!

June 1, 2023 9:51 am  #22

My relationship with CKVR.  When I was a boy visiting my Grandparents in Perkinsfield Ontario, the only TV station they could receive was CKVR.  I seem to remember Milt Conway being on camera most of the time.

I worked with Bob McIntyre at CKFH; where he did the news.  He later left and stayed at CKVR. as a weatherman.

June 1, 2023 3:57 pm  #23

Lots of memories for me with this station I was born in 83 and my parents got a cottage in 1989 in Honey Harbour - rabbit ears and CKVR aswell Global repeater which is still there today north of Honey Harbour in digital.   CKVR had Time Warp old shows and CBC hockey which I remember....then came New VR

Now its just all washed out it only feels local when watching news and the programming is stale.   

June 1, 2023 4:49 pm  #24

June 1, 2023 5:15 pm  #25

I vaguely recall CKVR showing movies all night on Friday night, back when that was a novelty. Am I remembering correctly?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 1, 2023 5:19 pm  #26

This was in one of the previous posts, but it's easy to miss. They did it in 1969, when it was very unusual for a station to be on all night long.