sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2023 3:07 pm  #61

Re: Q107 Calgary Is Flipping

That their future is on the FM dial?

May 24, 2023 3:20 pm  #62

ED1 wrote:

That their future is on the FM dial?

Not when the FM's are actually too profitable to terminate in favour of moving the AM to FM.
(market pending)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 24, 2023 3:33 pm  #63

And that's exactly the problem. AM 640 does not have the numbers to justify ever taking over an existing FM frequency on the already overcrowded Toronto dial. So if Corus doesn't care about AM, then perhaps all of its stations on that band - and they have several that are quite successful like CKNW and CJOB - are doomed.

I would hope that's not how they really feel and are simply using this argument as a convenient excuse for the CRTC to explain away their unapproved flip in Calgary. 

May 24, 2023 3:58 pm  #64

RadioActive wrote:

And that's exactly the problem. AM 640 does not have the numbers to justify ever taking over an existing FM frequency on the already overcrowded Toronto dial. So if Corus doesn't care about AM, then perhaps all of its stations on that band - and they have several that are quite successful like CKNW and CJOB - are doomed.

I would hope that's not how they really feel and are simply using this argument as a convenient excuse for the CRTC to explain away their unapproved flip in Calgary. 

They are 100% doomed without an FM flip, and probably doomed with one.

In the US, flipping all-news and sports stations to FM has been successful, but N/T not as much. The format did too little too late to fix the problem that the hosts and the programming didn't reflect the audience the stations wanted. Going to FM doesn't fix the core issue that the format itself isn't attracting new listeners regardless of the band.

You can lead a horse to water...

September 26, 2023 1:22 pm  #66

The station is called Peggy?   Imagine Toronto Q107 changing to Peggy? 

September 26, 2023 1:51 pm  #67

markow202 wrote:

The station is called Peggy?   Imagine Toronto Q107 changing to Peggy? 

Peggy is simply named as a short name for Winnipeg

September 26, 2023 2:12 pm  #68

CJOB also carries Winnipeg Jets and Blue Bombers games, so if Peggy is indeed becoming a simulcast of CJOB, this should be a good thing for those listeners.

September 26, 2023 2:29 pm  #69

ED1 wrote:

CJOB also carries Winnipeg Jets and Blue Bombers games, so if Peggy is indeed becoming a simulcast of CJOB, this should be a good thing for those listeners.

I'm only finding the 2017 Blue Bombers release that shows that they're on CJOB until 2024.
Is there any new information?  https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/11/09/bombers-680-cjob-announce-partnership-extension/
(CJOB has Jets until 2027.)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 26, 2023 3:00 pm  #70

Radiowiz wrote:

ED1 wrote:

I'm only finding the 2017 Blue Bombers release that shows that they're on CJOB until 2024.
Is there any new information?  https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/11/09/bombers-680-cjob-announce-partnership-extension/
(CJOB has Jets until 2027.)

They’re probably negotiating an extension or something. It’s not like the Bombers have anywhere else to go (other than in-house), CFRW/TSN Radio is long gone.

Last edited by ED1 (September 26, 2023 3:01 pm)

September 26, 2023 3:41 pm  #71

Anybody not look at some format holes in the market?  It's not always "what they did last time".  That said, I'm wrong a lot.  Ask my wife.  

September 26, 2023 3:45 pm  #72

It'll be talk.

The only mainstream music hole in the market is Alt, which would eat into sister Power 97.

November 28, 2023 12:18 pm  #73

Am I reading this right? The CRTC has renewed the licence for CHQR-AM & CFGQ-FM - but only from Jan. 1 to June 30, 2024, essentially six months. That has to be the shortest such renewal I can remember.

And what does this concluding sentence mean?

"This decision does not dispose of any issue that may arise with respect to the renewal of these licences."

Looks like we haven't heard the end of this infamous AM/FM simulcast yet. 

CRTC Decision

December 1, 2023 12:41 pm  #74

And the country twang continues to spread. (But why they're waiting for Dec. 27th while making the announcement on Dec. 1st is beyond me.) 

Corus Release: Hold Your Horses! Winnipeg Gets A New Country Music Station

December 1, 2023 12:44 pm  #75

Country audiences are a prime target for the Christmas format. Pre-promoting the flip while the audience is primed makes a lot of sense.

CRTC has been smacking down the talk to FM flips and let it be known that their 2 year hiatus doesn't mean they won't be paying attention.