sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2023 3:05 pm  #1

Toronto To Be The Centre Of The Radio Universe At Huge June Convention

Radio executives, experts, programmers, personalities and consultants from around the world will turn Toronto into the centre of the broadcasting universe for two days in June at the Westin Harbour Castle. That's where the Radiodays North American convention is being held June 8-9th. It's an annual event, that usually takes place in Europe. But they've brought it to this side of the pond this year and The Big Smoke (not Alberta, despite the fires!) is the chosen location. 

Among the guests and speakers: Alan Cross of Corus Radio, Duncan McCue of CBC Radio 1's Cross Country Check-up, Julie Adam, now VP of Universal Music but the former honcho at Rogers Media, Lisa Grossi, the National Music Director for CHUM-FM and the Virgin stations, Boom 97.3's Maie Pauts and Music Director Wayne Webster, Rick Lee, Program Manager for Q107 and CFNY (and a Toronto mayoral candidate!), Tom Power, host of CBC Radio's Q, and yes, Reshmi Nair, the afternoon drive host on CFRB. 

The entire guest list is here. 

Among the issues sure to be brought up: the plans to eliminate AM radio in a growing number of cars in North America, a timely topic that hasn't gotten a lot attention in Canada but is increasingly worrisome down south. One of the panels, "Radios Future In The Car," will focus on the impending loss of the band for some drivers. 

On that subject, veteran radio consultant Sean Ross, who admits to still listening to music on AM, cites CKWW Windsor and AM740 in Toronto as two of his favourite go-tos for tuneage on the non-FM dial. 

I Still Listen To Music On AM, But...

May 22, 2023 6:00 pm  #2

Re: Toronto To Be The Centre Of The Radio Universe At Huge June Convention

I'm bused about 2 gentlemen from BBC Aled Haydn Jones, Head Of Radio 1  

Last edited by Stinand (May 22, 2023 6:01 pm)

May 22, 2023 6:23 pm  #3

Stinand wrote:

I'm bused about 2 gentlemen from BBC Aled Haydn Jones, Head Of Radio 1  

BBC 1 and 2 are two of the highest rated radio stations in Europe and both are music stations.  Our CHR/Top 40 radio could learn much from the Beebs mainstream radio networks. BBC radio personalities are stars in the UK, that's why they are always presenters at the Brit Music Awards. 

May 23, 2023 10:28 pm  #4

I agree.  Radio 1 has an incredible playlist and the personalities are great to listen to as well; so much so that I prefer Radio 1 over any N. American CHR/Top 40 Radio--and I've listened to Z103 (Hot 103.5) for more than 25 years...not anymore.

May 24, 2023 10:22 am  #5

Lets start revamping formats or changing playlists, its all so stagnant!   

June 15, 2023 8:02 am  #6

SOWNY member Doug Thompson was at this event and gives an extensive recap of what happened. My favourite guest speaker, according to Doug's account, might well have been Ronnie Stanton, the V.P. of FM Radio Programming for Corus, who had this warning about doing everything the same old way:

“As I see it, and I’m as guilty as everyone in this room, we’re playing songs to death, we have disinterested people on the air in middays who are reading liners, we’re doing promotions where we’re looking for caller 9, and we’re [playing] 12+ minutes an hour of commercials and we wonder why the f*** they’re [listeners] going away. So, we have to change some stuff. We have to do something differently.”    

You can read the full recap here. 

June 15, 2023 9:54 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

My favourite guest speaker, according to Doug's account, might well have been Ronnie Stanton, the V.P. of FM Radio Programming for Corus, who had this warning about doing everything the same old way:

“As I see it, and I’m as guilty as everyone in this room, we’re playing songs to death, we have disinterested people on the air in middays who are reading liners, we’re doing promotions where we’re looking for caller 9, and we’re [playing] 12+ minutes an hour of commercials and we wonder why the f*** they’re [listeners] going away”       

Stanton should get cracking on this.     His employer's stock is trading this morning just above its all-time low