sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2023 4:45 pm  #1

Is The Program Manager For Q107 Really Running For Toronto Mayor?

According to John Oakley, the answer is yes. He mentioned on air Thursday that Rick Lee is among the 102 candidates running to replace John Tory at Toronto City Hall. I checked the list and yes, there is a Rick Lee on the endless list of non-famous candidates. And yes, there is a Rick Lee listed as the Program Manager at Q107

Oakley claims it's the same guy. What he didn't explain is why he bothered to get the 25 required signatures and put down the $200 deposit fee to enter a race he obviously isn't going to win. He filed on the very last day, May 12th.

There are a ton of people running, but it doesn't appear Mr. Lee is ready to give up his day job. Unlike some fringe candidates, he doesn't seem to have a platform, a candidacy office or even a website. 

But given his current position, I can only imagine what he might stand for. He may well promise to manage Money - but only the version by Pink Floyd on Dark Side of The Moon. 

I'm guessing he wants to build a new stairway at City Hall, but only to Heaven.

He may not like cages, which is why he favours a Free Bird.  

And like Bruce Springsteen, he seems to have been Born To Run.

Why he registered isn't clear, but perhaps it's just a lark. If it is him, the people at Q may be forced to cast a ballot for him or else! That said, I hope he gets at least 107 votes! 

May 18, 2023 5:34 pm  #2

Re: Is The Program Manager For Q107 Really Running For Toronto Mayor?

On a side note regarding Bruce Springsteen, his 69 Chevelle that inspired the song " Racing in the streets "  is going across the auction block at the Mecum Collector Car Auction being held in Indianapolis this week. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecunQO_uoIg

May 18, 2023 7:59 pm  #3

I guess Lee figured it was time was "Takin' it to the streets."
If he becomes mayor will he be "Takin' care of business?"
Or will he goof up and just become a "Beast of burden?"
Will he make a priority of redoing the Ontario place lakshore and allow people to "Smoke on the water?"
Does he plan to raise property taxes, if so how much? in which case my advice is "Ricky don't lose that number."
Or will he end up wasting taxpayers money with costly international junkets, only to find out "One night in Paris is like a year in any other place?"
In any case as far as Toronto is concerned O blah dee o blah dah life goes on."

May 19, 2023 10:19 am  #4

I know TVO is organising a debate. I'm surprised there's been nothing announced yet by City or CP24.

May 21, 2023 7:25 am  #5

Rick Lee was on AM640's weekend show Saturday morning, as Q107 jock Dan Chen filled in. He had his boss on as a guest and confirmed that, yes, the program manager of both Q and CFNY is one of the 102 people running for mayor of Toronto. (I think he had to join to make it an even 102, so the frequency would match CFNY!) 

The interview confirmed that not only was this all in fun, but he has no platform, no website and absolutely no expectation of winning or even getting more than a few votes. Nice to see him taking it seriously! 

May 26, 2023 11:18 pm  #6

At least he's an actual person.
It can't possibly be any worse than a DOG running for mayor!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.