sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2023 7:49 am  #1

Donating tapes to RetroOntario

In helping my mother pack for a move I've come across a few boxes of OTA videos from the 80s. Does anyone know how I can send them to RetroOntario so they can see if there is anything they can use?

Last edited by Hansa (May 22, 2023 7:49 am)

May 22, 2023 8:08 am  #2

Re: Donating tapes to RetroOntario

Ed Conroy is the genius behind Retrontario, and I'm proud to say, a longtime SOWNY Board member. You can contact him at his site here and I'm sure he'll get back to you. 

He's one of the few people I can think of who still has working VCRs, which is primarily where a lot of his gems come from. While all of us were busy taping our favourite shows in the 80s and cutting out the commercials, he came to realize that's where the true gold is. Old local newscasts, spots and unusual stuff that appeared on Toronto TV is sitting in a pile of tapes somewhere and if you're never going to watch it again - or no longer can because your VCR was junked long ago - I believe that's the kind of stuff he's looking for.

What a valuable service to be uncovering and preserving the history of TV in this city. 

By the way, his YouTube site is Must See TV. I can almost guarantee you you'll find something there worth watching. But put aside some time. It's one of those "where did the last four hours go?" places on the Internet. 

Retrontario On YouTube 

May 22, 2023 7:50 pm  #3

Re: Donating tapes to RetroOntario

RadioActive wrote:

Ed Conroy is the genius behind Retrontario, and I'm proud to say, a longtime SOWNY Board member. You can contact him at his site here and I'm sure he'll get back to you. 

He's one of the few people I can think of who still has working VCRs, which is primarily where a lot of his gems come from. While all of us were busy taping our favourite shows in the 80s and cutting out the commercials, he came to realize that's where the true gold is. Old local newscasts, spots and unusual stuff that appeared on Toronto TV is sitting in a pile of tapes somewhere and if you're never going to watch it again - or no longer can because your VCR was junked long ago - I believe that's the kind of stuff he's looking for.

What a valuable service to be uncovering and preserving the history of TV in this city. 

By the way, his YouTube site is Must See TV. I can almost guarantee you you'll find something there worth watching. But put aside some time. It's one of those "where did the last four hours go?" places on the Internet. 

Retrontario On YouTube 

Retrontario has been one of my favourite YouTube channels for 15+ years.

What I wish there was more of on YouTube was older news content from CFPL London (not necessarily from Retrontario as I know Ed’s focus is mainly on the GTA). There’s surprisingly very little from Channel 10 on YouTube compared to a lot of other stations, including ones in much smaller markets such as Prince Albert or even Erie, PA. There’s got to be people out there in Southwestern Ontario with VHS tapes where FYI/News Now accidentally got recorded.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (May 22, 2023 7:51 pm)